4 stroke bike oils in cars?

Nope, only 5w-40, 10w-40, 10w-50, 10w-60. The typical Motorcycle viscosity range.

By the way, i realy forgott one important point: It is likely that the VI Improvers in this oils are of better quality, more stable compared to a "off the shelf" car oil.
I agree, the VII should be much more shear stable than a typical PCMO, still 10W40 would be my pick having the narrower viscosity grade, because I believe shear stable VII are less efficient, meaning that more are required for the same effect.

BTW in Australia many oils made by Penrite carry API and ACEA and JASO MA Specs. They are made for both cars and motorcycles from scratch, and everybody uses them for both applications without concern.

Thank you. That was my thougths. Some Motorcycle and Car oils are not so much custom tailored for a purpose as people may think.
Look at the VOA, the data sheet, the additive pack and not so much on the stickers on the bottle and make your own decission.

Yes, Penrite make some really good oils, but they are hard to get here in germany, beside their products for Oldtimers wich is the Nr. 1 brand or market leader here in Germany, as far as i know.

Back in my Motorcycle days I used Castrol 20w 50 In just abut every 4 stroke bike i rode up until my first bike ( 1970 Honda SL90) to the last bike a 94 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan....
Im my motocross bikes I always used Golden Spectro premix.....i love the smell of 2 stroke premix....sometimes i would switch to Bel-ray......but always came back to Golden Spectro....less plug problems....

Nope, only 5w-40, 10w-40, 10w-50, 10w-60. The typical Motorcycle viscosity range.

By the way, i realy forgott one important point: It is likely that the VI Improvers in this oils are of better quality, more stable compared to a "off the shelf" car oil.
5w-40 is a bit thinner than 10w-50 anyway

You mean the "Destillates, Petroleum, Hydrotreated, light parafinic 1-10% ", right?
Thats O.K. it is still fully synthetic for me and according to german law.
By the way, the safety data sheet for the 10w-50 says the same, the russion VOA differs. Who knows...

Some members of the german german Oil Club forum report about very good resultes with a mixture of Car oil and Motorcycle oil.
Here is a example, cooper went down from from 59 to 7 in a row of UOAs.

One member claimed that the Motul Factory line 300V ² Motorcycle oil was recommended by BMW preofessionals / experts for the S85 and S65 car engines.

While People where sceptical, some members start to re-think it. You can not deny that the Motorcycle oils have better base oils, better VI Improvers and a additive pckage with more EP additives.
The use of Motorcycle oil did not make sense in a average car. But for cars with demanding, high reving engines the use of motorcycle oil is maybe worth to be considerd.

Some members of the german german Oil Club forum report about very good resultes with a mixture of Car oil and Motorcycle oil.
Here is a example, cooper went down from from 59 to 7 in a row of UOAs.

One member claimed that the Motul Factory line 300V ² Motorcycle oil was recommended by BMW preofessionals / experts for the S85 and S65 car engines.

While People where sceptical, some members start to re-think it. You can not deny that the Motorcycle oils have better base oils, better VI Improvers and a additive pckage with more EP additives.
The use of Motorcycle oil did not make sense in a average car. But for cars with demanding, high reving engines the use of motorcycle oil is maybe worth to be considerd.
FWIW, copper is often chelated from things like oil coolers, so its presence isn't uncommon when dealing with certain esters that cause that to happen. In a tri-metal bearing, copper is NOT the topper, so if you were seeing copper, you are already through the top layer.

With it tapering off like that, it looks more like chelation than a wear metal. Redline was notorious for causing this in the past.

Most motorcycle oils have an older rating such as SG, SL etc... a few however are now SN. I have some Kawasaki 10w-40 leftover from my Ninja that I used for break-in but then switched over to synthetic and used it in one of my mowers for it's last change. I don't think any serious damage would happen just make sure of the ratings, ie: don't use an SG rated oil in a newer vehicle, also the viscosity is usually different between most cars and motorcycles, a lot of European vehicles use something like a 0w40 ,5w40, etc.... which is close to most water cooled bikes.

Most motorcycle oils have an older rating such as SG, SL etc... a few however are now SN. I have some Kawasaki 10w-40 leftover from my Ninja that I used for break-in but then switched over to synthetic and used it in one of my mowers for it's last change. I don't think any serious damage would happen just make sure of the ratings, ie: don't use an SG rated oil in a newer vehicle, also the viscosity is usually different between most cars and motorcycles, a lot of European vehicles use something like a 0w40 ,5w40, etc.... which is close to most water cooled bikes.
My 2016 Yamaha manual specs oil to be API SG or higher, and of course JASO MA.

My 2016 Yamaha manual specs oil to be API SG or higher, and of course JASO MA.
Thanks, I believe the Kawasaki oil that I have is actually rated SL but have to check the jug. I've found most motorcycle manufacturers aren't really that picky when it comes to the specifying the oil such as requiring an older rated oil such as SG and then Jaso MA or MA2. I've found that as long as I'm not buying really old stock I don't really pay attention to the api rating and look for the Jaso that it's either MA or even MA/MA2.

I'd have to read the manual for mine but I'm sure they show SG as well.

I'd have to read the manual for mine but I'm sure they show SG as well.
Does it say SG or higher, or just SG? And what year bike is it? My 2016 has a catylitic converter, so might have a factor in the oil spec.

Does it say SG or higher, or just SG? And what year bike is it? My 2016 has a catylitic converter, so might have a factor in the oil spec.
Mine is a 2013 Ninja 650 so it has the catalytic converter and reads API SG, SH, SJ, SL or SM with Jaso MA, MA1 or MA2 and then 10w40.

A bit odd they are only specifying the one viscosity, I think most at least give you 2 or 3 options.

I used amsoil 10w-30 motorcycle for 2 oil changes in s jeep I had. I was poor, did not have anything else. Worked fine lol.

Back