4.0 Jeep Question-Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I'm going to be purchasing a high mileage (150k) 90s Jeep Cherokee for Daughter to drive. Just wondering what oil most of the Jeep owners have used with good success. These engines seem to be pretty bullet proof, so I'm a guessing a 10w30 Dino in the summer, 5w30 in the winter. I was thinking either Pennzoil HM 10w30 or Valvoline HM. Also, are most of these 6 quart fills? Thanks.

Ye, you can run Crisco in there and it would be fine... Most folks use what you already suggested. Some also have had great luck with 15w40 HDEO's also.

Personally, I ran 5w30 year round and my 2000 loved it.

Congrats, your daughter will love it.

A 10W30 will be fine for your Jeep. I run either 10W30 or 10W40 in my Cherokee and 5W30 in all my Jeeps during the winter. Whatever is the cheapest will serve you well (I like Maxlife for the HM oils though!). Yes, Jeep 4.0L's take six quarts.

Happy Trails.

On a Jeep forum I recall reading they said that the 10W30 in the Summer and 5W30 Winter is the way to go. Seems the 30 grades did better than the 40 grades according to many people who posted that own Jeeps with the 4.0L engine.

Thanks a lot guys! You confirmed what I thought. I recently picked up some Kendall 10w30 Semi-Syn for a $1 quart, so that sounds like a good option too!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Seems the 30 grades did better than the 40 grades according to many people who posted that own Jeeps with the 4.0L engine.

I've had better results with 40's over 30's, and actually the best UOA running Delo SAE30. That's in my trail Jeep though.
I think the best Jeep UOA I've seen here was on old Havoline 10W30.
I'm sure his daughter will never see those conditions...
but you never know LOL

So far the 10w30 High-mileage oils have run well in my 4.0L Jeep. The 4.0L is a flat-tappet engine and it runs well with the extra additives in the HM engine oil.

A 5 quart jug of your favorite 10w30. 1 Quart of straight 40 weight, and an ST8 filter from WalMart will get you to 215,000 miles. After that, some 16 year old kid in high school will buy the Jeep, and tear it up offroading somewhere he shouldn't be in a stock Jeep.

A bit off topic for you Jeep guys, but I'm looking at two Jeeps. One is a 95 Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 V8 (318?) and the other is a 93 Cherokee with the 4.0. The 95 has a nicer body, but about 10k more miles. Similar price for both. I think the 95 has full-time 4x4? I know those 4.0 engines can go forever. Any opinions on one over the other? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: edvanp
A bit off topic for you Jeep guys, but I'm looking at two Jeeps. One is a 95 Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 V8 (318?) and the other is a 93 Cherokee with the 4.0. The 95 has a nicer body, but about 10k more miles. Similar price for both. I think the 95 has full-time 4x4? I know those 4.0 engines can go forever. Any opinions on one over the other? Thanks.

I would pick the XJ over the Grand. The Grands were OK, but ran into reliability issues with everyday things like power windows, heater controls, electric doo-hicky's, stuff like that.

Plus IMO, 4.0L > 5.2L

Originally Posted By: gonzo
Those Cherokees are h ll on water pumps.

??? My '89 has had only one changed in 20 years. If anything, I think Cherokees are easier on water pumps because the fan doesn't mount to it.

FWIW, the '95 2.5L in my '92 YJ has the original water pump with 44K +/- miles.

Originally Posted By: edvanp

both are a nice choice...I like the grands and the 5.2 is a roller motor and would also last a long time...if you plan to lift it, then the 5.2 would provide more power than the 4.0L. However the full-time 4x4 has a thing called a VC (viscous coupler) that goes out and is a pain & expensive to replace...I just did mine myself cause I have some wrenching abilities...good as new :)

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: gonzo
Those Cherokees are h ll on water pumps.

??? My '89 has had only one changed in 20 years. If anything, I think Cherokees are easier on water pumps because the fan doesn't mount to it.

FWIW, the '95 2.5L in my '92 YJ has the original water pump with 44K +/- miles.
My 99 has 282,000km on the original water pump.This week-end my electric fan motor is shot so I'm doing the electric fan motor,water pump,T stat,upper & lower hoses ,new temperature sending sensor,new coolant of course,the heater hoses I did a couple of years ago are still good.I'm also putting in a Magnefine filter in the return line of the power steering line.Doing this mostly because I'm paranoid of failure of componants when I'm moose hunting in the middle of now-where.Other than that I still have the original rad and altenator that I will throw money at on my trip if they fail,hope they die at home.My crankshaft sensor died on my driveway last week.I changed that plus the camshaft sensor,both O2 sensors,and put in a new Mopar fuel pump.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Aside from the drive train mechanical differences, look closely at interior passenger needs for space. The XJ is about the same passenger space as a Wrangler with (typically) 4 doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back