4.0 Jeep Question-Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: edvanp
A bit off topic for you Jeep guys, but I'm looking at two Jeeps. One is a 95 Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 V8 (318?) and the other is a 93 Cherokee with the 4.0. The 95 has a nicer body, but about 10k more miles. Similar price for both. I think the 95 has full-time 4x4? I know those 4.0 engines can go forever. Any opinions on one over the other? Thanks.

I would pick the XJ over the Grand. The Grands were OK, but ran into reliability issues with everyday things like power windows, heater controls, electric doo-hicky's, stuff like that.

Plus IMO, 4.0L > 5.2L

Are you claiming the Cherokees didn't? Lol.

I imagine it's a matter of the propensity of the Grand's having more complex appointments ..therefore having more incidents of issues with them.

When looking at Grand's I would definitely prefer the 5.2L over the 4.0L. I personally prefer the 4.0L as the engine, but the chrysler transmission they put behind the 4.0L is junk. Just my $0.02.

I was under the impression (never researched it much) that they used the TF727 in the older gen Grand for the 4.0. The XJ's all got the AW4 (at least behind a 4.0) ..which has a very good reputation for durability and reliability. If they used the AW4 in the Grand, I can't see it being a problem. Nor can I see the TF727 variant being trouble prone. The TF32RH (904) while not as tough as the 727, endured V8 power for decades without issues. The lock up converters had issues in later years with disintegration and trans fouling ..but that wasn't a trans design issue as much as a converter clutch material issue.

The AW4 is a bullet proof transmission and that's why along with the 4.0L in the XJ you have a awesome drivetrain. In Grand Cherokees, at least most of the ZJs, they used the 42RE which is very problem prone. Too bad only one year of Grand Cherokees received the AW4 behind the 4.0L.

Your right. Brain feirt
grin2.gif
One hydraulic offering and two electronic offerings w/the V8 in 95. 1991 appears the last 727 behind a V8 in the jeep line up.

Automatic Transmission,46RH.....AP4
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
Automatic Transmission,42RE.....AP4
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
Automatic Transmission,44RE.....AP4

'93 ZJ 4.0L - AW4(solid tranny) in early '93's OR 42RE later ones
'94-'98 ZJ 4.0L - 42RE (known for issues)
'93-'95 ZJ 5.2L - 46RH (solid tranny)
'96-'98 ZJ 5.2L - 44RE (know for issues)
'98 ZJ 5.9L - 46RE (known for issues

I believe the 46RE/RH are very much based on the TFT727 though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back