Jeep 4.0-Mobil 1 HIGH Mileage or Pennzoil ULTRA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to decide between Mobil 1 HIGH Mileage 10w-30 or Pennzoil ULTRA 10w-30 for my 1996 Jeep Cherokees 4.0 with 249,??? miles. Her 4.0 dosent loose, burn or leak over a quart every 7,000 miles. AutoZone here in Wenatchee WA currently has 5 quarts Pennzoil ULTRA and a FRAM tough Guard oil filter for $32.99 and Ive always wanted to try Pennzoil ULTRA. I have used Mobil 1 HIGH Mileage 10w-30 before with Good results. Is there a reason to use one over the other?

I've been itching to try Ultra so I would pick it. If you aren't burning much or leaking oil I don't see a reason to use high mileage oil. That said I typically use Mobil 1 products but buy what's on sale at the time when I'm looking to stock up.

Thats a tough call. If were in your position I would have to try them both
thumbsup2.gif

The ultra is using some great base stocks from their PDS numbers. Mobil 1 HM is one of M1 best offerings.

I run PU in my Jeep 4.0, but it only has 25K miles on a reman.

I would not run a HM oil unless there was a reason to do so. I do not think gasket sweller additives are good if not needed.

True your engine will probably not fall out if you run a HM oil and don't really need it. But it might.

ULTRA!!!!!!

Jeep 4.0's do not like Mobil 1. Nobody is sure why but it tends to produce double to triple the iron numbers in UOA's than virtually any other oil. This tendency has been documented here over and over again. Even the highly regarded here Mobil 1 0w40 does it.

Rather than spend hours and money tearing down engines trying to figure out exactly why, it is simply easier to pick a different oil.

Maxlife. Valvoline WB, Castrol and Rotella tend to produce some of the best looking UOA's in the 4.0, have not seen one on Ultra yet. Maybe Donald will give us one soon enough. I've also had good results with PYB, not much UOA data on it though, a fellow BITOG'er and I are working on that but it takes time.

Wasn't the higher than normal Mobil 1 wear rates with the SM spec. I was under the impression that SN is wearing better. M1HM 10w-30 seems like a very good oil for a 4.0 , thought about using it myself. Anybody got a UOA for this combo ?

Thanks for the replies. They are maby worth more than the stash I have, cause what good is a Stash when You cant make up your mind. You can look at it, I guess. Back room is dry where the Amsoil is, but my garage has a Major leak in the roof, and quite a few Mobil 1 Six packs now are soggy, wet boxes. If only they were also warm...

I had a 01 4.0 Jeep and ran a steady diet of M1 without issue. Not that I kept it all that long, but sounded and ran good and looked clean. I am starting to be a strong believer in Maxlife now though on older vehicles, and I always was a fan of Rotella products. Maybe bike a brew of Rotella and something else to be cost effective?

Originally Posted By: Thax
Wasn't the higher than normal Mobil 1 wear rates with the SM spec. I was under the impression that SN is wearing better. M1HM 10w-30 seems like a very good oil for a 4.0 , thought about using it myself. Anybody got a UOA for this combo ?

That played out for many other vehicles that were showing high iron with M1, but not the Jeep. Even a recent Jeep 4.0 UOA of new M1 0w40 was very high in iron. I'll see if I can find it.

These engines could probably run 100k on used cooking oil, so I don't doubt plenty of people have run M1 in a Jeep 4.0 without issue. It's just not the best choice for it when it consistently produces high iron in the 4.0 engine and other oils don't. JMO.

If I HAD to run a Mobil 1 in my 4.0 it would be the HM version though.

And I should have added if you're looking for a full syn for the 4.0, the best choices IMO are probably Rotella T-6 5w40 and German Castrol 0w30. Both are on the thick side and have elevated levels of ZDDP. The Castrol is a true PAO synthetic, I presume the Rotella is a Group III.

This is funny, I just bought 10W30 M1 HM for my 2000 JGC 4.0! It was last Saturday, and was the last 5 Qt jug at WM...

What filter do you use? I got a Motorcraft FL-400S.

I am sure either one would work for you, I have a few small leaks, so went to HM oils a while ago. I have about 130,000 miles on it.

VW

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
Trying to decide between Mobil 1 HIGH Mileage 10w-30 or Pennzoil ULTRA
Neither. If your Jeep's not leaking no need for HM oil. Run the Mobil 1 extended performance 10w-30 or 5w-30 because that's their best oil.

You might even try Mobil's Fuel Economy 0w-30 for better startup protection, especially in Washington's cold winters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back