Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Harleys recalled for excessive vibration

crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Harleys recalled for excessive vibration

crazy2.gif

I think they missed a few zeros. 33,000,000?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It's like recalling all saturns because they burn oil.

hey, Hey, HEY..... let's NOT be giving them any ideas... okay?

All bikes vibrate...with the exception of two in my experience as a tech.

Guy in batonrouge has an ancient cb350...you could balance a nickel on the tank while running.

One of the other techs bought a naked honda ...800 or 959...dont remember. It was equally smooth.

Vibration bad enoigh to turn a key reminds me of an old yamaha atv...they never did understand bushings lol

Manufacturer: Harley-Davidson Motor Company

SUMMARY:
Harley-Davidson Motor Company (Harley-Davidson) is recalling certain model year 2014.5 FXDL Dyna Low Rider motorcycles manufactured January 6, 2014, through June 19, 2014. In the affected motorcycles, certain optional performance electronic control module calibrations may allow higher engine rpms that could result in engine vibrations that cause the ignition switch to move from the "IGN" (ignition on) to "ACC" (accessory only) position, which will shut the engine off.

CONSEQUENCE:
If the vibration causes the ignition switch to move to the accessory only position, the motorcycle would stall while riding, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY:
Harley-Davidson will notify owners, and dealers will replace the engine mount bracket assembly and ignition switch knob, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin by the end of July 2014. Owners may contact Harley-Davidson customer service at 1-800-258-2464.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

____

DESCRIPTION OF DEFECT:
Some of these motorcycles may have been assembled with a top engine mount bracket assembly (P/N 16400026) that has are onant frequency equivalent to 5800 RPM engine speed. When the engine is operated at that speed, it causes excessive vibration in the ignition switch, which mount to that bracket. Thi excessive vibration can cause the switch to move from the "IGN" (ignition on) position to the "ACC" (accessory only) position, shutting the engine off. The production Electronic Control Module (ECM) calibration will not allow engine speed to exceed 5600 RPM, but Harley-Davidson offers street-legal performance calibrations which will allow the engine to operate above 5600 RPM. If a performance calibration has been installed which permits the engine to exceed 5600 rpm, it could allow a condition that may potentially cause the engine to stall unexpectedly. A stall while riding in traffic could lead to a crash.

Another review of the warranty and complaint databases in June revealed a total of four events, all of which occurred on motorcycles believed to be fitted with non-Harley-Davidson exhaust systems and ECMs with higher than production engine speed rev limit calibrations. There were no reported crashes or injuries.

Emphasis added, but far be it from me to bring facts into a good Harley bashing...

To me shutting off at RPMS over 5600 ,sounds like a built in safety measure. My bike does 70 MPH at 2900 rpms. So if your doing 5600 rpms or higher, your going alot faster then legally allowed on any road in this country, and should be shut down. You'd think Harley would look at the "problem" that way, and save themselves alot of money doing a fix for something that doesn't need to be fixed.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
To me shutting off at RPMS over 5600 ,sounds like a built in safety measure.

A crude version of a rev limiter then, huh?
smile.gif

I always wondered how a HD tech knew when an engine was properly tuned. They sound like they're missing under the best circumstances. Like how would you know if a paint shaker is out of balance?

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
To me shutting off at RPMS over 5600 ,sounds like a built in safety measure. My bike does 70 MPH at 2900 rpms. So if your doing 5600 rpms or higher, your going alot faster then legally allowed on any road in this country, and should be shut down. You'd think Harley would look at the "problem" that way, and save themselves alot of money doing a fix for something that doesn't need to be fixed.,,

Yeah, because nobody would EVER wind out a bike in the lower gears!
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
A Harley at 6,000 rpm would sound like it's coming apart anyways.

Probably...makes me laugh, actually. Heck, my Burgman is spinning 7500RPM on the highway! My wife's Hyosung is spinning even higher...hers is basically lugging below 6000.

^^^Yep, Harleys are def low RPM cruising/touring bikes in stock form. Really doesn't make any sense to wind one out. BTW the Burgman is a really cool scooter. Dang thing will fly.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
A Harley at 6,000 rpm would sound like it's coming apart anyways.

My 2013 superglide at 3000 rpm in six gear is running over eighty mph . Maybe you should try one out , before you talk
Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back