New GM Adds 971,000 Cars to Ignition Switch recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
General Motors is boosting by 971,000 the number of small cars being recalled worldwide for a defective ignition switch, saying cars from the model years 2008-2011 may have gotten the part as a replacement.

The latest move brings the total number of cars affected to 2.6 million. The questionable handling of the problem, including GM's admission that it knew the switches were possibly defective as early as 2001, has embarrassed the nation's largest automaker. The recalls — which are under investigation by Congress and federal regulators — have overshadowed the improved quality of GM's

New GM Recall

Its appalling, and I expect the body count is considerably understated. I wouldn't single out GM though. Toyota misbehaved so badly that they managed to get nailed for wire fraud for their lies. Merely having unaddressed auto defects will net you merely a few million dollar fine.

I'd say business ethics is at an all-time low. Look at the price-fixing conspiracy against IT workers in California. Just about the who's who of high tech got involved in that, including Meg Whitman who nearly got elected governor of California. They weren't the least bit worried about covering their tracks, evidently. Steve Jobs managed to be the master-mind of two well-documented antitrust conspiracies before he died. I won't even talk about the financial industry.

If the wife stays at her current job of driving 55 miles each way, we are looking at something more efficient than the MGM when it comes time to replace it in a few years. She really liked the cruze and verano, but after all this [censored] looks like we will look at the civic and the elantra.

What do the Cruze and Verano have to do with this? This is being overblown. If you don't have 8 millions pieces of chotskies attached to your keyring you'll be fine.

Let's not forget, this recall is only about the amount of force needed to twist the key out of the run position.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
What do the Cruze and Verano have to do with this? This is being overblown. If you don't have 8 millions pieces of chotskies attached to your keyring you'll be fine.

Let's not forget, this recall is only about the amount of force needed to twist the key out of the run position.

Because the cruze is somehow tied into this, and the verano is the sister to the cruze. So unless this is without a doubt fixed before we decide to buy I will go elsewhere regardless of how "overblown" you and others think it is. Though it very well may be. My opinion, my wallet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40

Because the cruze is somehow tied into this, and the verano is the sister to the cruze. So unless this is without a doubt fixed before we decide to buy I will go elsewhere regardless of how "overblown" you and others think it is. Though it very well may be. My opinion, my wallet.

It's your wallet and I don't care what you spend your money on or what you drive. However this is an automotive forum and we should be able to talk about these issues on a higher level. The Cruze has nothing to do with this, and shares no parts with the Cobalt. Let's keep our facts straight.

Seems funny that they stopped selling the cruze at the same time. So until they prove otherwise....

Because a problem with axle shafts on a 2013-2014 Cruze has everything to do with ignition switches on a 2005 Cobalt?

GM Recalls Cruze Compacts to Fix Front Axle Shafts

Better stay away from those Toyotas. They are all affected by unintended acceleration. I mean, they all have accelerator pedals, right? Avoid those Firestone tires (and by association, Bridgestone). Remember all those Explorers that were flipping? They're all black, round, and rubber, right? If it says "Firestone" on the side, it may be related!

If the wife stays at her current job of driving 55 miles each way, we are looking at something more efficient than the MGM when it comes time to replace it in a few years. She really liked the cruze and verano, but after all this [censored] looks like we will look at the civic and the elantra.

That's right. The Civic and Elantra will NEVER have problems. They are made with fairy dust. This thinking is so typical. Cruze and Verano are not included in the recall anyway.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Anyone losing sleep over the ignition episode at GM?

Not really, these things can and do happen.

I have a 09 Cobalt and while it might be affected I haven't had any problems with the car for almost 60K now except a couple of side marker bulbs.

I guess I might end up getting the switch replaced but I'm going to delay as long as possible unless I notice something abnormal.

It has never been a good idea to hang a lot of weight on your keychain, and I always remove the key I'm using from the rest of them before I start. It says to do that in the manual.

You know, the automobile industry has been making ignition switches a long, long time. Also trannys, engines , etc. You would think that all bugs by now should have been eliminated to the level of 90 pct by now. imho...............

You know, the automobile industry has been making ignition switches a long, long time. Also trannys, engines , etc. You would think that all bugs by now should have been eliminated to the level of 90 pct by now. imho...............

I think if you do the math, almost a million recalled out of many more millions sold and the actual few that have completely failed it is a pretty impressive percentage.

According to the story I read the real problem is that the company that makes the switches, Delphi, modified the manufacture somehow but didn't change the part number, so it is hard to track which ones are really bad. Hence the need to recall a huge number to cover all the bases.

Originally Posted By: DevilsRule

That's right. The Civic and Elantra will NEVER have problems. They are made with fairy dust. This thinking is so typical. Cruze and Verano are not included in the recall anyway.

That's right no one is allowed to have a reason to dislike something around here. I'm not bashing an entire brand. I'm just not wanting to buy a car that has more problems than most with a worse crash test rating than either of the two that I stated. Same reason why I would not buy a Toyota because of all the problems they have been having and the poor crash test scores in the new test. A person is not allowed to dislike something around this place even if they give reasons, they "are not good enough reasons" to dislike it. So we are going to bash you. Get over yourself. They don't have to be good enough reasons for you. They just have to satisfy me. Unless you are going to buy the car for me? Then I'll deal with its problems for a free car.

Last edited:
This latest recall is the pendulum swinging in the other direction. GM at first failed to react to a known problem. Now they are over reacting a bit to rebuild some credibility. The original failure to react was pre-government bailout. This action is obviously post.

That's my fault for jumping to conclusions about the cruze being related to the ignition switches, I was just looking for one more reason to take it off the list. Either way I found one with the current problem. But again no one is allowed to be misinformed without being jumped on like you just insulted somebodies mother. Oh well, I still enjoy this site. The few idiot blow-hards don't ruin it for me. I deal with worse every day at work. Just sets you off sometimes, but that's what they want is an argument. That's something I do all day and won't do here because This is one place I got to relax.

Anyone losing sleep over the ignition episode at GM?

Doesn't bother me at all.

If my car turned off while driving down the road, and it did in my Chevy truck, but that was a fuel pump relay that would lose connection, I would simply put it into neutral and start it back up and put it back into gear. How difficult is that? And people have DIED cause their car turned off? News break people- you still have brakes when your car turns off going down the road, unless you're retarded and keep pumping them or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back