3300 new Harleys recalled for excessive vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buckeyejake
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
A Harley at 6,000 rpm would sound like it's coming apart anyways.

My 2013 superglide at 3000 rpm in six gear is running over eighty mph . Maybe you should try one out , before you talk
Jake

I might be wrong, but I think he's tried one out since he owns one.

Originally Posted By: whip
Silverado12 said:

My 2013 superglide at 3000 rpm in six gear is running over eighty mph . Maybe you should try one out , before you talk
Jake

I might be wrong, but I think he's tried one out since he owns one. [/quot

I don't think he has rode one much , my sporty has a 7500 rpm rev module on it . The superglide has been turned , and they don't sound like they are coming apart at high rev!
Jake

A recall on Harley's 'cause they shake too much. Now that right there is funny, I don't care who you are.

My 02 Honda Goldwing had that problem. Hit a big bump, kill switch would toggle by itself. Common problem.

Another common GL1500 problem was that the bank angle sensor would weep fluid, causing an intermittent failure of the ignition circuit.

And there's more.

Honda never recalled any of these.

Good on Harley for the quick recall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12

Jake

I've ridden several of the newer Harleys...6th gear is nice...brings the RPMs down low at highway speeds, however, engine vibration is still at unacceptable levels IMO, and they're still a dog no matter what size they are...

Originally Posted By: chestand
I always wondered how a HD tech knew when an engine was properly tuned. They sound like they're missing under the best circumstances. Like how would you know if a paint shaker is out of balance?

A guy I ride with has an '09 Ultra Classic and when we stop at red lights and his bike is sitting there idling, it looks like, and this is no exaggeration, the windshield is going to break off because the engine vibration is so bad, the plexiglass is literally bending due to the shaking...I've never seen an engine that shakes this badly...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I always wondered how a HD tech knew when an engine was properly tuned. They sound like they're missing under the best circumstances. Like how would you know if a paint shaker is out of balance?

A guy I ride with has an '09 Ultra Classic and when we stop at red lights and his bike is sitting there idling, it looks like, and this is no exaggeration, the windshield is going to break off because the engine vibration is so bad, the plexiglass is literally bending due to the shaking...I've never seen an engine that shakes this badly...

Your friend most likely has a broken fairing mount , as it mounted on the front forks . Also some of them just idle at too low a rpm , due to a all elect throttle system . either one will cause the problem
Jake

Your friend most likely has a broken fairing mount , as it mounted on the front forks . Also some of them just idle at too low a rpm , due to a all elect throttle system . either one will cause the problem
Jake

I think it's just because the engine shakes so much at idle...the whole bike shakes like crazy at idle...haven't seen a Harley yet that doesn't...

Last edited:

That might be a harmonics thing...my Burgman's windshield vibrates pretty noticeably at idle, despite being a very smooth-running engine. (Especially considering it is a single.)

I replaced my 12 inch OEM windshield on my 95 Electra Glide last week with a 'Cee Baileys' clear 11 inch shield. I never had the bad shaking in either the OEM or the new shield. Very little shaking and no distortion in either shield. Cee Baileys did say to check the acorn nuts for looseness after a couple rides. I had 2 of the seven nuts that had loosened a small amount but after finger tightening, per the instructions... all is well. It sounds like your friends shield might need the mounting bolts/nuts checked for tightness.

Jake

I think it's just because the engine shakes so much at idle...the whole bike shakes like crazy at idle...haven't seen a Harley yet that doesn't...

I think your friend has a broken fairing mount. I've never seen a Harley windshield move that much unless a mount was broken. Pass the word to him to check the mounts. The engine does not vibrate enough to cause that much vibration. My windshield moves very little at idle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dr2152
I think your friend has a broken fairing mount. I've never seen a Harley windshield move that much unless a mount was broken. Pass the word to him to check the mounts. The engine does not vibrate enough to cause that much vibration. My windshield moves very little at idle.

He checked and it isn't broken...I guess it does vibrate that much...

Originally Posted By: kballowe
My 02 Honda Goldwing had that problem. Hit a big bump, kill switch would toggle by itself. Common problem.

Honda never recalled any of these.

Not entirely true. The switch was recalled, and Honda released a bulletin to their dealers on the issue.

There is more than one and you have to remove the fairing to check. Maybe he has a cheap thin windshield. Maybe a broken motor mount. They do not vibrate that much.

There is more than one and you have to remove the fairing to check. Maybe he has a cheap thin windshield. Maybe a broken motor mount. They do not vibrate that much.

I've ridden several of these machines...yes they do vibrate that much...it may have been said as a joke earlier, but they really do feel like paint shakers when they're idling...

I've ridden several of these machines...yes they do vibrate that much...it may have been said as a joke earlier, but they really do feel like paint shakers when they're idling...

Never went to a paint store did ya?

I had on of the last rigid mount sporsters and I have never in my life seen anything vibrate like it did. It was almost unrideable and that is why I dont own it anymore. The vibration caused all sorts of havoc.

There are four of them , not one
Jake

Never went to a paint store did ya?

Let it go...

There are four of them , not one
Jake

THEY aren't broken...there, are you satisfied?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back