325iT

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we added another car to the family, a 2002 BMW 325iT with 38k miles. We had an `04 Jetta Wagon TDI that already had 51k miles, great on fuel and fun to tinker around with a diesel but the rest of the car just felt econo like. The handling left a lot to be desired also. This "new" car is nearly fully loaded with the sport package, premium package, cold weather package, harman kardan sound system, bi-xenons, park distance control and well unfortunately steptronic. I would go manual but I'm not the primary driver.

I was happy to find out after having someone look up thru the BMW database that it has been a so.cal car its whole life (sold thru Beverly Hills BMW) and maitnence has been kept up on. We actually bought this car for less than we sold the Jetta for
smile.gif
Go high demand for diesels, especially wagons in CA! Oh and of course we are running a good oil, green GC! On with the pictures!

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Very nice!

Do you mind telling how much it cost you?

I'm on the lookout for a 330ci manual from that year also, alas manuals are really hard to come by in my area.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
Very nice!

Do you mind telling how much it cost you?

I'm on the lookout for a 330ci manual from that year also, alas manuals are really hard to come by in my area.

I picked it up for $20,400. I would stick with getting an `02+ E46 as they didn't have the overboosted steering that a period of `01 models and also bi-xenons were introduced over xenons which is nice. I'm a BMW nut so if you have any questions let me know! As you probably know, ignore that lifetime fluid *ullzhit. Also one of the first things I would do is get the Clutch Delay Valve out of the car you purchase. `96+ newer BMW's have this feature that controls the line pressure for when you release the clutch. Basically it's there to make poor stick drivers feel smoother. For us people who are use to driving stick, it makes the release of the clutch feel artifical and slower. There are some DIY's around the internet, I heard it's a pretty easy task and independent shops have charged $50-60 to do it if wrenching is not your thing.

Man, that's a great deal!

Thanks for the tip about the clutch delay valve. I've been researching the E46s, but didn't know that tidbit.

I've heard there were issues with rear subframe damage on these cars too (not sure if the wagons where affected also or just the sedans and coupes), and I haven't been able to verify if BMW fixed the issue by 2002 model year. It doesn't appear they did, although of course it'd be covered by BMW if it happened during the warranty period.

Most of the 330ci cars I'm finding in my area from 2002 are around $22-25K and above 50K miles, so no warranty left.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
Man, that's a great deal!

Thanks for the tip about the clutch delay valve. I've been researching the E46s, but didn't know that tidbit.

I've heard there were issues with rear subframe damage on these cars too (not sure if the wagons where affected also or just the sedans and coupes), and I haven't been able to verify if BMW fixed the issue by 2002 model year. It doesn't appear they did, although of course it'd be covered by BMW if it happened during the warranty period.

Most of the 330ci cars I'm finding in my area from 2002 are around $22-25K and above 50K miles, so no warranty left.
frown.gif

Sadly BMW has had subframe issues since the E36's and I did hear `02 and newer E46's weren't affected but I have a feeling that's just because many aren't old enough yet but I could be wrong, hopefully so. Of course with proper inspection and maitnence of the rear shock mounts, bushings, etc. it helps slim the chances.

Usually I NEVER buy through dealers but since so many people lease late model BMW's and trade them in, it's hard finding private sellers. So I ended up going thru an Infiniti dealer but was lucky enough to get a car that had been sold as a Certified Pre-Owned before through a BMW dealership. Therefore I still have the CPO warranty for nearly 2 more years! It covers all the big things like drivetrain and what not. I was able to get the front window regulators (common to go out on E46's) and thermostat replaced this past weekend under that warranty and all I paid was the $50 deductable that you pay each time you take it in. It was far cheaper doing that then buying the parts myself! So I would highly recommend looking finding one with CPO warranty if possible. If you go to this thread on bimmerforums.com: http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484799
The guy "teilmeister" can run the VIN through the BMW dealer system on the car your looking at which will tell its production date, what dealer it was sold thru, warranty info, options it came with and its maitnence it has had thru bmw dealers, very useful!! Also since so many people are leasing/trading them in, it hurts the resale so I would def. try to bargain whatever one ur looking for. Ours was listed at $22,995: http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=196402722&dealer_id=498947&car_year=2002&search_type=both&make=BMW&distance=100&model=325IT&address=92037&certified=&advanced=&max_price=23 000&bkms=1141714800325&min_price=1&end_year=2002&start_year=2002&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=85
So I tried my best to get them down and made them realign the steering wheel (was a few degrees to the right) before we bought it.

Very Nice car.

I have always thought BMW makes some of the nicest car interiors ever designed.

Is that MPG gauge under the Tach fairly accurate ?

If I'm not mistaken, the MPG gauge just shows current consumption, so it fluctuates quite a bit. But you can display the average MPG on the digital trip computer display (where the odometer and clock are).

The digital one on my A4 was fairly accurate. windsea, how's the one on the 3-series?

Thanks guys for the comments. The mpg gauge on our E36 and E46 (which are what you are doing constantly) seem to be relatively accurate based off the computer average readouts which have a certain percentage error in them but I forget off the top of my head the particular amount. Driving around the city it doesn't help much but at a constant pace on the freeway you can adjust the throttle ever so slightly to see the affects. In Europe where fuel is pricey I bet people find them more useful than us Americans. Granted when the pedal is planted to the floor most of the time I'm not paying attention to it!
burnout.gif
grin.gif

On M cars they give you an oil temp gauge instead which I would rather have.

Nice find. Seems to be in excellent shape. I think this will be my next Bimmer (currently have a 330i ZSP) but it will be a project car. Going to swap in an S54 engine/tranny ala the Rogue Engineering "family hauler". Unless BMWNA decides to bring in a 335iT E90
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by shortyb:
Nice find. Seems to be in excellent shape. I think this will be my next Bimmer (currently have a 330i ZSP) but it will be a project car. Going to swap in an S54 engine/tranny ala the Rogue Engineering "family hauler". Unless BMWNA decides to bring in a 335iT E90
grin.gif

I think you will have better luck with the S54 swap then BMWNA bringing a 335iT here
frown.gif
. They aren't bringing the 550iT or M5 touring as of now either. I want to do an S54 swap into this wagon too or a LS2, though at the moment it's my parents vehicle not mine...but with time that may change so I will stick with my E36 for the moment being. I had a `91 E30 318is with an S50 swap awhile back btw. I also saw that S54 wagon at an auto-x and at Bimmerfest last year, so awesome!

-

Yep, thats it. Would fill my need for alittle extra space over the sedan and my "need" for some, ahem, extra performance
grin.gif

From what I've gathered talking with the folks at RE, its an easy swap. Essentially plug and play as long as you get a donor engine, tranny, driveshaft, and DME. I have access to all of that through my friend who is a service manager at a local BMW dealer. Finding the Touring is much more difficult. Over the past 2 years I have found only 3 that meet the criteria for me (manual, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW etc.) in condition that I liked. Still searching. Retirement is coming soon and I'll need something to keep me busy
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back