3 Year Old M1 Filter - Run It?

Well obviously we mean filters with an ADBV not one that's for an application that doesn't call for an adbv, but in 2018 Fram updated the Extraguard line to have Silicone ADBVs like is in the press release above, maybe some application specific filters for small engines that sell in low volumes don't still. But the general Fram line up(Extra Gaurd, Togh Guard, Ultra) now uses silicone ADBVs, the exception being the new Fram Drive filters at AAP, they're more like a cheap ac delco ecore or Supertech filter and only use a Nitrile ADBV.
There is enough BAD an inaccurate information that gets posted on forums that generates into facts? Thank you for clearing up the intended informational responses of other members? ;)

And even so I choose a part number in memory much like the most common {Performance filter used for decades PH8A not by
application and went right to the specification information NOT AN AD! As I said that part number like many oil filters have hundreds of applications other then a vehicle specific application guide! The guides are for those looking for the listing of products for their vehicle like your vehicles. The application guide make it easier for "you and most" to find a oil filter or other related parts that is applicated but not necessarily the only oil filter or part that will work. That's why Technical specification are made available so some that can determine a oil filter or other parts may be better suited for an application or in the subject of oil filters the operating environment of an engine.
Heck I use a fuel filter basically for a motorcycle or lawn mower as an air intake filter on my 2018 MAZDA? LOL I looked into the specifications, i.e. flow material fiber and other components and found it to be suitable for a specialized purpose as an air filter! :geek:

51rqW1XID-L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

LOL another debate about FRAM .... what a surprise.... NOT..

Really the buck stop here... you whom think they know FRAM product PLEASE email FRAM with your comments posted here even mine if ya like and post the return e-mail! ;) (y) :geek:

[email protected] EMAIL]>;

other wise.... :rolleyes:🤔😆

THE FRAM INFORMATION CHALLENGE

And even so I choose a part number in memory much like the most common {Performance filter used for decades PH8A not by
application and went right to the specification information NOT AN AD!
Pick an EG (PH series) Fram WITH an ADBV and it will be silicone ... that's the point. Guess the PH8A has an ADBV made out of clear "Unobtainium". 😄

LOL I gotcha beat .... I have them dating back when I closed my performance engine machine shop in the 90's and I may even have some NOS dating back to around the early 80's when I both a general parts store and a performance parts store.

blupupher 5 years for a DIY is a longtime to hang on to filters... (y)

I'm still using some Fram Pro Synthetic filters, FPS7317, that were made in 2013. I kept them in my garage cabinet for three years, individually wrapped in Saran wrap. Then brought them inside the house. I run them for two 5K mile intervals. They're still good by me.

Last edited:
Pick an EG (PH series) Fram WITH an ADBV and it will be silicone ... that's the point. Guess the PH8A has an ADBV made out of clear "Unobtainium". 😄
Um did you not read I looked up 2 that's two FRAM filters or did you not read that over today responses on this thread?? Or are you picking and choosing your interpretation of what I did NOT say? I never said anything technical about the PH8A however and please read slowly I did say I looked at the PH30 in post #29.

I have to really wonder what it is you do for a living? 😏
Maybe we should start a thread titled "what do or did you do for a living" ?

btw most of us watched and enjoyed both movies you used a name reference for... "Unobtainium". ;)
I have both in my collection of keepers!

I guess you won't be the one to contact FRAM then. No surprise to me!

Last edited:
Um did you not read I looked up 2 that's two FRAM filters or did you not read that over today responses on this thread?? Or are you picking and choosing your interpretation of what I did NOT say? I never said anything technical about the PH8A however and please read slowly I did say I looked at the PH30 in post #29.

I have to really wonder what it is you do for a living? 😏
Maybe we should start a thread titled "what do or did you do for a living" ?

btw most of us watched and enjoyed both movies you used a name reference for... "Unobtainium". ;)
I have both in my collection of keepers!

I guess you won't be the one to contact FRAM then. No surprise to me!
You looked up a Fram in post #29 and 3 Frams in post #32, which all 4 have no ADBV.

NONE of the filters you looked up have a ADBV, so the material doesn't apply because there isn't one. Don't know why you can't understand that simple logic. Is it simply obtuseness or trolling? The focus of the discussion is ADBV material, not if it has a ADBV or not.

Last edited:
You looked up a Fram in post #29 and 3 Frams in post #32, which all 4 have no ADBV.

NONE of the filters you looked up have a ADBV, so the material doesn't apply because there isn't one. Don't know why you can't understand that simple logic. Is it simply obtuseness or trolling? The focus of the discussion is ADBV material, not if it has a ADBV or not.
There is no trolling is that your come back... REALLY dude LOL its funny but you fit a profile that you are slinging accusation pretty fast...
A member posted inaccurate information with no real facts I called him on it. Simple. GO start from the beginning of this complete thread and read S-L-O-W-E-R 🤪

So you and a couple other can have this thread and the last word. I am getting to know a few members and what they really know on this forum ;)
A large posting count does not make a forum member any more intelligence it only means they simply have opinions (not so much facts or experience) about everything.
Now zee what was it again that you do for a living?? Wanna swap resumes? :) LOL

Oh and better go re-read post #29 post #32, ROLMAO you have perfect reading comprehension! OMG ROLMAO

(y) :rolleyes: 😆

Now I need to go and figure out how to STOP following this thread.

There is no trolling is that your come back... REALLY dude LOL its funny but you fit a profile that you are slinging accusation pretty fast...
A member posted inaccurate information with no real facts I called him on it. Simple. GO start from the beginning of this complete thread and read S-L-O-W-E-R 🤪

So you and a couple other can have this thread and the last word. I am getting to know a few members and what they really know on this forum ;)
A large posting count does not make a forum member any more intelligence it only means they simply have opinions (not so much facts or experience) about everything.

Oh and better go re-read post #29 post #32, ROLMAO you have perfect reading comprehension! OMG ROLMAO

Maybe you really don't understand simple logic or what you post - go read what you wrote, you can't even follow the discussion, even after multiple people pointed out It's not about a filter having a ADBV or not, it's about the material. Funny stuff, no reason to see your "resume", obviously an obtuse fisherman. 🎣 :LOL:

Last edited:

You can also type slower so your responses are more clear, you admitted yourself that you have too many tabs open that you can't keep it straight. The use of fewer emoticons in your voluminous and numerous posts would be a help.

Last edited:
After I sold my 2007 Infiniti two years ago I've still had one extra M1-108a sitting in a cabinet in my garage. I recently discovered this filter is specc'd for my parents' 2008 Smart ForTwo. It has some slight surface rust, some of which I've been able to rub off with my finger/paper towel. Their Smart is due for an oil change - would you have any hesitation running this? I know a replacement filter is cheap, but if there's not a serious risk I'd rather not waste the filter (which they agree). Maybe this bit of rust is common amongst the slower moving filters on the shelves anyway?
Run it on anything it is specified for and don't worry about it.

Filter spec calls for no ADBV. "See I told you, there's a Fram filter that does NOT have a silicone ADBV!"
Seriously WTH

I'm running 20 year old putolatora and have many C&P of them. Go ahead and run it. I doubt any light rust would really harm anything.

I just went through this with a UPF64R that we figured was about 5 years old or so. I still have it, but ordered a replacement. It would bother me too much, and the thing was in poor condition when I got it.

Back