3 Year Old M1 Filter - Run It?

I have no hesitation against using a good quality filter if it's been sitting around for a few years in a climate controlled environment. If it was sitting in a garage for a decade with hot/cold/moisture/salt/etc. I probably wouldn't want to use it. I store mine in my basement and have for a long time and have used a few new old stock Mobil 1 filters without an issue.
Oil filter are not like good wine, you don't need to lay it down, and you certainly don't need a controlled environment. Just pop the box and enjoy the smell of that new oil filter as you spin it on your engine. Trust me oil filter DO NOT HAVE AN EXPIRATION DATE..... :ROFLMAO:

IMG_20210718_082149935.jpg

A couple of those filters I randomly grabbed in my garage for the picture this morning are from around 1995. Stored in a local storage in Santa Cruz, Ca for 12 years and then when I moved in my home garage for over 8 years now.

Good ones don't but eventually filters with nitrile ADBVs will go bad when the ADBV turns into a brick.
Based on some very good information I have read from you here on this forum since I joined on a few threads of interest to me......
While there is no real empirical data supporting this, I will accept your response, it is based on your experience and I personally consider it yet another reason why not to use high dollar oil filter! :geek: (y)

While there is no real empirical data supporting this, I will accept your response, it is based on your experience and I personally consider it yet another reason why not to use high dollar oil filter! :geek: (y)
Yeah, go for those $1.98 old stock no-name filters on Rock Auto with nitrile ABDVs. 😄 ;)

Yeah, go for those $1.98 old stock no-name filters on Rock Auto with nitrile ABDVs. 😄 ;)
While I won't use generic oil filters even on customers vehicles I do generally use branded name oil filters and usually unless there is a great price only their basic filters.
I am partial to FRAM. Been there through out there issues and will continue to support and recomend their products.
I have also used , retailed and distributed their product line the late 70's.

While I won't use generic oil filters even on customers vehicles I do generally use branded name oil filters and usually unless there is a great price only their basic filters.
I am partial to FRAM. Been there through out there issues and will continue to support and recomend their products.
I have also used , retailed and distributed their product line the late 70's.
All Frams have silicone ADBVs now, even the $3.88 EG at Walmart. No need for old stock Rock Auto.

All Frams have silicone ADBVs now, even the $3.88 EG at Walmart. No need for old stock Rock Auto.
Hmm?? Not doubting you, I don't see that in any of the technical specifications from FRAM. Can you show me that information from FRAM please?

If not I will call my long time contact with FRAM on Monday and confirm your statement!
Here is one ... NO ADBV

I choose this part number off the top of my head. The FRAM PH30 can be used on hundreds of applications.

Hmm?? Not doubting you, I don't see that in any of the technical specifications from FRAM. Can you show me that information from FRAM please?

If not I will call my long time contact with FRAM on Monday and confirm your statement!
The Tough Gaurd and Ultra have always had a silicone ADBV.
I think AAP now has a cost reduced Extra Gaurd they call the Fram Drive filter, those however only have a nitrile ADBV, but I don't who would buy that filter at AAP over the Extra Gaurd at Wally world.

The response from a member was "ALL" FRAMs now have..... ;)
which as far as I can see inaccurate information...

I also asked to see from FRAM the technical specification NOT an ad for the product!

Maybe they just have not updated their website for product specification??

©2021 FIRST BRANDS GROUP LLC.​

IMG_20210718_115332205_resize.jpg

IMG_20210718_115337150_resize.jpg

edit 2.jpg

Last edited:

I also asked to see from FRAM the technical specification NOT an ad for the product!
What research have you done on your own?!?
Please bring it to the table.

What research have you done on your own?!?
Please bring it to the table.
Not to be rude but did you accurately read my responses? Maybe go re-read them again?
I did edited my last response before you posted and I will contact FRAM as I said tomorrow. ;) :geek:
To be clear I never said anyone was wrong just the information is not technically the technical specifications posted from FRAM!
Ads are not specifications and when someone say "all", I want to know the correct information, not crowd votes to win by majority.

Well obviously we mean filters with an ADBV not one that's for an application that doesn't call for an adbv, but in 2018 Fram updated the Extraguard line to have Silicone ADBVs like is in the press release above, maybe some application specific filters for small engines that sell in low volumes don't still. But the general Fram line up(Extra Gaurd, Togh Guard, Ultra) now uses silicone ADBVs, the exception being the new Fram Drive filters at AAP, they're more like a cheap ac delco ecore or Supertech filter and only use a Nitrile ADBV.

Here is one ... NO ADBV
I'm saying every Fram specified by Fram (EG, TG and XG) that has an ADBV will have a silicone ADBV, even the bottom tier EG models.

Last edited:
I think AAP now has a cost reduced Extra Gaurd they call the Fram Drive filter, those however only have a nitrile ADBV, but I don't who would buy that filter at AAP over the Extra Gaurd at Wally world.
Those are filters made for AAP by Fram to AAP specs ... not the actual Fram line of filters.

All Frams that HAVE an ADBV. Thought that was pretty much assumed and didn't have to made that level of distinction. Of course if a filter DOESN'T have an ADBV then it can't be made of silicone or any other material on Earth. 😄

Yes, but they're branded Fram and they're listed on Fram's website, not a private label product, so in my book that does count as being a Fram.
Yeah, but they were not made to Fram's specs ... they were made to AAP's specs.

Let's say all EG, TG and XG Frams speced by Fram. We are hair splitting now over semantics.

Back