3 Year Old M1 Filter - Run It?

After I sold my 2007 Infiniti two years ago I've still had one extra M1-108a sitting in a cabinet in my garage. I recently discovered this filter is specc'd for my parents' 2008 Smart ForTwo. It has some slight surface rust, some of which I've been able to rub off with my finger/paper towel. Their Smart is due for an oil change - would you have any hesitation running this? I know a replacement filter is cheap, but if there's not a serious risk I'd rather not waste the filter (which they agree). Maybe this bit of rust is common amongst the slower moving filters on the shelves anyway?

Attachments

• PXL_20210711_184859859 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20210711_184859859 - Copy.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I would not use it, but that's me. However looking at your picture and seeing what looks a somewhat clean center section and because it was only surface rust and that the oil flow is enter outside holes, exit center, the small amount of surface rust contamination would likely be caught in the filter and possibly only show slight amounts of iron on an oil analysis?

I've used lots of filters that I've stored in my garage that got a little surface rust on the outer portion of the oil flow area. In that case I usually take a very small piece of very fine steel wool or a wire brush and clean it off prior to putting it on. The car I've used most of these filters on is at 210K miles and there have been no side effects. I've got filters in my garage now that probably have some surface rust since some of them I bought years ago at store closeouts for $ .25-$1 each. At one time I had 5 cars that used the same filter so I bought all I could find at those prices. I've probably still got 20 or 30 of them but I have 2 of those cars still on the road. I think maybe I've had one filter out of all those that was bad enough I didn't feel comfortable using. I say use common sense if it's bad enough it doesn't clean up good trash it otherwise put it on and run it.

Last edited:
Only 3 years, that is nothing.
I have some filters in my stash that are over 5 years old and I will be using them in the next year or two.

That is only surface rust on the "dirty" side of the filter, not an issue at all.
LOL I gotcha beat .... I have them dating back when I closed my performance engine machine shop in the 90's and I may even have some NOS dating back to around the early 80's when I both a general parts store and a performance parts store.

blupupher 5 years for a DIY is a longtime to hang on to filters... (y)

Just as important as the filter's age is how it has been stored. High humidity and temperature swings can be a problem but after only 3 years it's probably still fine. That base gasket does look very dry though, maybe it's just the photo.

LOL I gotcha beat .... I have them dating back when I closed my performance engine machine shop in the 90's and I may even have some NOS dating back to around the early 80's when I both a general parts store and a performance parts store.

blupupher 5 years for a DIY is a longtime to hang on to filters... (y)

LOL, I just bought 10 9688 size filters from a member here, not sure on their current age, but it will be about 5 years till I get them used.

I have no hesitation against using a good quality filter if it's been sitting around for a few years in a climate controlled environment. If it was sitting in a garage for a decade with hot/cold/moisture/salt/etc. I probably wouldn't want to use it. I store mine in my basement and have for a long time and have used a few new old stock Mobil 1 filters without an issue.

Back