3.5 EcoBoost under valve covers/front cover

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
2015, 106k. My customer bought it at 30k from an Enterprise fleet. He’s been doing running conventional from various quick lubes, going by the OLM. I’m replacing timing chains, guides, tensioner, cam phasers and associated parts.

I will be filling it with RGT 5W-30 with a Champ PH500, and using SuperTech orange dexcool (Motorcraft Orange equivalent) for coolant.

9.2 hour job.

0E53A449-31B4-45FD-B335-F3CB55F3A48A.jpeg
A4C89C7D-6718-411D-A483-211DA0809E34.jpeg

What was the failure and what vehicle?

Can't tell from the photo whether that is a transverse or longitudinal engine. But I think I see a chain driven water pump in the center, so I'm gonna go with transverse.

Looks like a reasonably clean and maintained engine all things considered. That type of maintenance is what I bet 80%+ vehicles encounter, various quickie lubes (usually cheapest) when the reminder tells you to, and fix things when they break.

Nice. Sounds like you’ve got a thorough approach. Is that the water pump in there? Is it wise to go ahead and do that too?
Water pump is on the front cover. I will be replacing it with a new Motorcraft since it had to come off. Bearings didn’t feel great anyways.

That looks like a water pump, but it’s just a pulley and a pass-through to feed the water pump, which is mounted on the front cover. I think the water pump goes there in transverse applications. Kind of dumb in my opinion.

16242F1B-54D6-429C-A9B4-3290FD02FCF2.jpeg
460D5F41-0B9E-4B77-B69C-107F497415B3.jpeg

Last edited:
What was the failure and what vehicle?

Can't tell from the photo whether that is a transverse or longitudinal engine. But I think I see a chain driven water pump in the center, so I'm gonna go with transverse.

Looks like a reasonably clean and maintained engine all things considered. That type of maintenance is what I bet 80%+ vehicles encounter, various quickie lubes (usually cheapest) when the reminder tells you to, and fix things when they break.
2015 Expedition. Complaint was code P0016, crank and cam not in sync. Loud rattling at idle, sounded like a diesel. Lack of power at all RPMs. Car was covered under the TSB which said to replace all timing components with P0016.

Longitudinal mounted engine, see my reply to ‘meep’ about the water pump. I agree 100% with your assessment of maintenance and I think this engine is relatively clean in that context.

This is the slack in the chain (tensioner is fully extended). Note I am not prying hard, just barely lifting.
01874B3D-A7E9-42D1-BAE0-3B75C8847678.jpeg

Last edited:
Expedition. I think they’re mostly the same under the hood.

They pretty much are. The Transits are the fun ones because they no longer have a doghouse. My techs just love doing EGR coolers on the 3.2L Pumas. Ford mounted the EGR cooler on the back of the engine to where if it did have a doghouse it would be a 20 minute job.

They pretty much are. The Transits are the fun ones because they no longer have a doghouse. My techs just love doing EGR coolers on the 3.2L Pumas. Ford mounted the EGR cooler on the back of the engine to where if it did have a doghouse it would be a 20 minute job.
No doghouse? That’s pathetic. Really. That was nothing but a cost saver for Ford and will make it horrendous to do even basic maintenance like spark plugs.

That's one loooong chain, wow.
As mentioned by @92saturnsl2, that doesn't look bad at all for quick lube conventional oils. I agree that this is the maintenance 80%+ of vehicles get...without consequence.

Is that a Motorcraft oil filter to the bottom right of the first image?

Just an opinion but the Eco is not meant for the Quick Lubes and following the OLM. $50K truck from any manufacturer and needing this type of work at only 100k? I say this as F150 fan (the Expedition included) that I would consider that a failure. Eco seems to benefit well from 5k OCI and a synthetic quite well.

OP a HUGE thanks for the pics. So many of us love these types of images. Not sure but I noticed you are using the orange coolant....I know the orange coolant is a no go in my 15 5.0 F150 now as once again Ford changed coolant color to yellow (which is really lime green!). VC13G is what I believe is the new spec. Cross use is approved by Ford as well.

2015, 106k. My customer bought it at 30k from an Enterprise fleet. He’s been doing running conventional from various quick lubes, going by the OLM. I’m replacing timing chains, guides, tensioner, cam phasers and associated parts.

I will be filling it with RGT 5W-30 with a Champ PH500, and using SuperTech orange dexcool (Motorcraft Orange equivalent) for coolant.

9.2 hour job.

View attachment 37138View attachment 37140
What a disaster 😵 Thanks for the pictures!

I do not trust the OLM - All oil changes are done by 5000 miles.

Last edited:
like the faithful hardly rider, ford people buy regardless of issues!! its your $$$$ not mine gladly!!! i replace my 2001 jetta timing belts using a full kit, 75 thou + 150 then traded at 200 thou running great, kits about $300 + a not bad DIY for an back yard mechanic like ME!!

Back