25,000mi ~running Amsoil SSO 0w-30 in a 2010 Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Different Strokes. Yes,the oil performed flawlessly....but why run it so far with all the additional break in contaminants? I could care less about "getting value" out of my oil change. I am preserving a 25,000 asset,so,I am going to select a good quality synthetic oil,good quality filters,and change it every 6 months,Fall and Spring.......even if I've only 4500 miles on it.

Nothing wrong with that logic. Different strokes for different folks.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Wish I could agree with you, but the implication that you have to use a different oil to run a shorter OCI (regardless of cost, value per mile) is senseless.

Why not make a statement implying to simply run a shorter OCI, versus making the logical assertion to run a shorter OCI AND with a different oil?
That's called illogical, especially when cost or value is specifically referenced as unimportant.

Last edited:
I did not imply that one should run a lesser oil for shorter ocis:You inferred. Enough data out there for me to conclude that synthetic oil is a better oil. Look right here at the Amsoil testing and you can make that conclusion. I'm going run a good synthetic for 6 months 'cause I want better protection for my engine/transmission down here in Texas heat. I don't care that synthetic costs more. Besides,the mpg differential pays for the incremental cost of the synthetic vs. the conventional in my 02 V6 Accord. How do you like them beans? Cheers,man.

Hi,
BeanCounter - You said this;
"Well, there are plenty of tests that show some of these "expensive" oils provide greater protection than others, so what's the argument now?"

Care to show these Tests please - but only the unbiased and Industry confirmed ones so they have some Brand neutral results

Thanks

I did not imply that one should run a lesser oil for shorter ocis:You inferred. Enough data out there for me to conclude that synthetic oil is a better oil. Look right here at the Amsoil testing and you can make that conclusion. I'm going run a good synthetic for 6 months 'cause I want better protection for my engine/transmission down here in Texas heat. I don't care that synthetic costs more. Besides,the mpg differential pays for the incremental cost of the synthetic vs. the conventional in my 02 V6 Accord. How do you like them beans? Cheers,man.

Just as my taxes subsidize a mess, so will I subsidize sub-par reading comprehension:

Show me where I said "lesser" oil instead of simply "a different oil" and I'll give you a cookie.
Please refrain from trying to mock until you have a cohesive argument.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
BeanCounter - You said this;
"Well, there are plenty of tests that show some of these "expensive" oils provide greater protection than others, so what's the argument now?"

Care to show these Tests please - but only the unbiased and Industry confirmed ones so they have some Brand neutral results

Thanks

I wasn't born yesterday, so I'll have to pass.
You know perfectly well how to search for data like this. I'll not waste the time it takes searching for you, in order for you simply to claim that it isn't "unbiased" enough for you, or whatever "industry confirmed" could be contrived as. I simply made a comment that I find to hold at least some validity and truth. If you have a problem with it, the burden of proof falls to whomever wishes to prove otherwise, not simply someone else with little definitive support.

Feel free to let me know which testing authority you approve of too, as I'd be entertained to find out whose testing is acceptable and whose isn't.

Penny rich and pound foolish...

still stuck with the same rhetoric I see...

I 'infer' that everytime I post a UOA that goes over 5 digit miles, that it triggers some kind of stimulus response reflex that makes you post some vague warning that harkens back to the waxy paraffin 3month/3k era.

Stick to the 4 digit miles OCI threads will ya?... I can tell that anything above 9999mi or 180 days makes your heart rate go up...

Hi,
Virtuoso - I have just consulted with a Principal from the local Cab Co. and they estimate that "engine-on" time is about 80%

Doug, Something else that I suspect helps is that when the engine is on, it spends much less time at idle and extremely small loads than a normal car's engine does.

Hi,
BeanCounter - You made the statement it is surely over to you to "back it up". I happen to believe that you won't be able to!

You also said this:
"Feel free to let me know which testing authority you approve of too, as I'd be entertained to find out whose testing is acceptable and whose isn't."

Very clearly I defer to the ACEA protocols and those of the Major Maunufacter's published Approval and Listing requirements. At a stretch even the official API Certification processes will do!!

Hi,
XS650 - Yes, we discussed this point yesterday and I took it further with a random sample of the Cab Co's drivers

Their opinion was that virtually "no" idling occurs

This Cab Co works in the Tropics, has few Owner Drivers and operates 24/7. Cabs are retired at around 800kkms. Some do around 25kkms per month

Hi,
BeanCounter - You made the statement it is surely over to you to "back it up". I happen to believe that you won't be able to!

You also said this:
"Feel free to let me know which testing authority you approve of too, as I'd be entertained to find out whose testing is acceptable and whose isn't."

Very clearly I defer to the ACEA protocols and those of the Major Maunufacter's published Approval and Listing requirements. At a stretch even the official API Certification processes will do!!

I'm sorry there are tests out there that you don't approve of. Some of us do approve of them accordingly. I don't discount the fact that if these tests were so blasphemous, other sources and manufacturers on your "industry approved" list would have argued the findings just a bit.

And you don't want a biased source, yet you're using major manufacturers' "approved oil" lists as evidence.
That's a good one, Doug!

Hi,
BeanCounter - You said this:
"And you don't want a biased source, yet you're using major manufacturers' "approved oil" lists as evidence."

Biased? Well ACEA certainly is not biased!
A submitted lubricant either passes a component (say engine) manufacturer's Testing regime or it doesn't. Senior MB Engineers for instance have confidence in all of the 100 or so lubricants on their Approved List - mineral, semi-synthetic or "ful;ly" synthetic)! There is virtually no ultimate and truely measurable performance difference covering component durability. This is Brand neutral - as it should be

The "best" or "better" argument has been played with here on BITOG to no avail for many years - long before you joined up too! We've seen it all before end-on-end simple UOAs with different lubricants - movements of 10ppm or so - and some Oil Blenders who simply make the "best"

Surely the OP's intent was for meaningful info to be shared - not "one line" statements that cannot be substantiated or with little if any real meaning!

Hi,
BeanCounter - You said this:
"And you don't want a biased source, yet you're using major manufacturers' "approved oil" lists as evidence."

Biased? Well ACEA certainly is not biased!
A submitted lubricant either passes a component (say engine) manufacturer's Testing regime or it doesn't. Senior MB Engineers for instance have confidence in all of the 100 or so lubricants on their Approved List - mineral, semi-synthetic or "ful;ly" synthetic)! There is virtually no ultimate and truely measurable performance difference covering component durability. This is Brand neutral - as it should be

The "best" or "better" argument has been played with here on BITOG to no avail for many years - long before you joined up too! We've seen it all before end-on-end simple UOAs with different lubricants - movements of 10ppm or so - and some Oil Blenders who simply make the "best"

Surely the OP's intent was for meaningful info to be shared - not "one line" statements that cannot be substantiated or with little if any real meaning!

Doug, do you know where easy access to some of these ACEA tests are? Have they tested SSO?

By the way, I never said this oil was "best" or "better" than a particular brand. I was simply asserting in general that I do think that some oils are of higher quality than others, and I think there is info to support that. But again, it depends what sources you allow yourself to rationalize and accept info from, I suppose.

Hi,
BeanCounter - I'm not on BITOG to irrationally support or criticise various suppliers or their products

The product you mention must be submitted for testing to be Officially recognised - I suspect that it hasn't been. There is EELQMS and the ATIEL Code of Practice that relates to this - and ACEA is an amalgam of the Euro Vehicle (and engine) Manufacturers - with minimum Quality Standards that have been operating since 1996

Some Blenders chose not to use these standards in an Official way - that is their choice, usually an economics one!
Therefore while their products may be of excellent quality the questions remain!

Some resort to non-recognised Test regimes that are used for Marketing purposes!!!

Vehicle/engine Manufacturers typically conduct extensive in service road testing regimes and this is where the true performance of the product is demonstrated. This is an area that I was involved in over some decades - with various organisations both as an Employee (MB, Chevron-Caltex etc) and as a professional Consultant

I am not on the payroll of any organisation let alone any Oil Company or Blender!

I suspect Googling "ACEA" may help you

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BeanCounter
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Wish I could agree with you, but the implication that you have to use a different oil to run a shorter OCI (regardless of cost, value per mile) is senseless.

Why not make a statement implying to simply run a shorter OCI, versus making the logical assertion to run a shorter OCI AND with a different oil?
That's called illogical, especially when cost or value is specifically referenced as unimportant.

It's OK to disagree, that's what this board is about. What implication did I make? Illogical in your opinion perhaps. I was simply agreeing with the man, I also said the report was good.

I believe [under identical conditions] that a car that has oil changes twice a year vs once a year is the better maintained car. Even with the king of extended drain oils. The car will be easier to sell, and better in the long run. Just ask anyone shopping for a car if the service history shows two 6 month OCI's or a yearly OCI which car they'd rather buy. Since I keep my vehicles a very long time I'd rather service them more often. Other than an hour of my time the cost difference is peanuts, factoring in SSO and an Amsoil filter.

Lol. You are killin' me,Cowtown. Do you really think it was wise to run a 25k oci on a new car with only 6k on it?

Another long drain OCI thread killed by FZ1 and his anti long drain fear mongering campaign. Congratulations sir well done.

O.K. Same question to you. Do you think it was wise to run a 25k oci in a new car with 6k on it?

^I wouldn't do it. All that metal (and increasing as break-in continues) floating around, rubbing on everything can't be that healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back