'24 Toyota GR86 vs '69 Camaro

Al

I owned a 307 cu. in. 4 speed Camaro back in the day:

The following are areas and which was better.

Handling- GR
Acceleration- GR even though I had a Holly 450 cfm carburetor
Comfort- Camaro

The Camaro sat up a bit higher which was nice. I am sure the tires contribute to better handling. Gas mileage on the Camaro was horrible 16.6 mpg no matter how I drove it. The rear diff had a very low ratio..I believe 4.11 :1. Top speed was 105 at best as I recall.

I guess I would still have to say the Camaro was more fun to drive. I think maybe bc only 4 gears and lots of torque. The Camaro had 220HP as I recall to the 228 for the GR

Yea..who cares...lol.

Bad comparison-the 307 was the weakest of the SBCs, except for maybe the smogged 305. Get a 350 or BBC in that Camaro & try again! :cool:
I took the smog stuff off and added a better carburetor. HP was about equal so I thought it was a good comparison.
350 Camaro 0-60 is 6.4 sec GR86 0-60 is 5.8 sec

But I was comparing two cars with two comparable engines.

That a modern ricer could beat a car from fifty+ years ago is not surprising.
The old cars that were regarded as quick back in the day are rarely in a league with even four cylinder family sedans of today.
Compare that Camaro to a car of fifty years before it and it would be astoundingly better in more ways of greater magnitude than the Corolla is as compared to a '67 Camaro.
Things do progress over time, after all.

Are you comparing a current (old man) evaluation of the Toyota to rose tinted glasses memories of the Camaro?

Are we thinking of how it ran back in the day on 89 octane leaded fuel, riding on polyglas bias ply tires?

Is the "better ride" on a 50 year younger spine?

I bet the Toyota holds the road a lot better.

As I've mentioned before, I have a 1991 magazine that is a compilation of road tests from the old Hi-Performance Cars magazine. The fastest 1/4 mile time was a 12.5 posted by Joe Oldham's 1969 Motion Performance big block Camaro- with 4.10 gears, uncapped headers and slicks. Aside from that car most of the others put up 1/4 mile ETs in the 13.5-14.5 second range. Those times are definitely on the slow side of average for performance cars these days. Even my wife's X1 can run the quarter in 14.6 sec @ 95 mph(a bit faster than my 1988 M6 when it was stock). My 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 could run the quarter in the low 14 second range and trap 100 mph all day long- and that's with a 2.3 liter turbo that averaged 26+ mpg over the 8 years and 158,000 miles I had it. My M235i returned similar fuel economy but ran the 1/4 mile in 12.9 seconds @ 109 mph. The C43 does it in 12.6 seconds @ 111 mph. A new X3 M40i runs the 1/4-Mile in 12.8 seconds @ 107 mph (all times taken from Car and Driver).

A few years ago I took my friend's Mercedes-AMG E63 to Ohio Valley Raceway's 1/8 mile strip. My fastest run was an 8.12 at 89 mph. I easily beat a built 1970 Buick GSX Stage I running slicks. A few years later I took my M235i to Ohio Valley and it ran an 8.59; with no limited slip I had a major problem with wheelspin. In the late '70s -when I hit the strip on a regular basis- there were very few cars that would run in the low eights, and those that did were usually seriously modified. I'm taking the C43 to the 1/8 strip in a few weeks; a full report will be forthcoming.

I owned a 307 cu. in. 4 speed Camaro back in the day:

The following are areas and which was better.

Handling- GR
Acceleration- GR even though I had a Holly 450 cfm carburetor
Comfort- Camaro

The Camaro sat up a bit higher which was nice. I am sure the tires contribute to better handling. Gas mileage on the Camaro was horrible 16.6 mpg no matter how I drove it. The rear diff had a very low ratio..I believe 4.11 :1. Top speed was 105 at best as I recall.

I guess I would still have to say the Camaro was more fun to drive. I think maybe bc only 4 gears and lots of torque. The Camaro had 220HP as I recall to the 228 for the GR

Yea..who cares...lol.
Higher ride height is an easy fix with the GR86. Combined with skid plates it'd make a fun little rally-inspired daily.
Screenshot_20240516-042755~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240516-042801~2.jpg

Here are some 0-60 times of early Camaro. Generally, any modern car having close to 300 SAE net horsepower can beat them.

View attachment 219593
These guys can't drive :) . I went 12.95 at 110.02 mph in a paper tags 151 mile 2001 6 speed Z28 on Goodyear Eagle GS-Cs. I hate magazine times. I know it is provides a good base time and are really the only list anyone can compare but they never really show/tell the whole story.

Back