21 forte or 20 civic

We are very torn! Both are manuals both are pretty much there entry level variants.
The Kia is brand new the Honda was a lease for 10 months and has 8,400 miles on it.
The Kia is $16,200 the Honda is 18,500 but they said they would take 17,775 plus 199 paper work fees.
I know the Honda has better resale. The Kia is nicer inside but the Honda looks more our style. The Honda has a couple minor scratches since it was used and a couple minor rock chips. The Kia has the better warranty. Which would you go for? They both drive well and are comfortable.

Your paying a premium buying the Civic used because of resale. If you spend a few bucks more, you can get a new one and if you finance it, the interest will be lower.
I'd get whatever drives best, but would take a hard look at a new leftover 2020 Civic. New Hondas aren't selling and dealers are dealing if you shop. Example pricing:

Hondas depreciate so little you're better off with new than used. Also, the interest rate is less on a new car than on used.

The Kia is $1500 cheaper and has a lower interest rate, making the difference more in favor of the Forte.

How long do you plan on keeping the car?

Hondas depreciate so little you're better off with new than used. Also, the interest rate is less on a new car than on used.

The Kia is $1500 cheaper and has a lower interest rate, making the difference more in favor of the Forte.

How long do you plan on keeping the car?
Probably until it dies. My wife says until we can afford a Tesla. Many years regardless!

I picked up a 2020 elantra in oct-2019 value package 21xxx msrp for 15.5k
has all the bells and whistles.

its been a great car. it does have the "IVT" but 10yr 100k warranty made me feel better about it.
I would actually enjoy driving it.. if it had better tires.

While not a fast car the transmission is quick to change rpm range for power and isnt too rubberband like.

also has low tech port injected 2L Atkinson cycle engine.. gets 35-44mpg depending on season and driver.

The value package gets you alot for your money. IIRC even without dealing they were 4500 off msrp last year. at the "one price" dealer.

I would go new for 5yr/60k warranty 10yr/100k powertrain warranty, used civic has how much warranty left?

I just bought a Kia Soul LX manual 10 days ago and I like it. Now the Soul is no Forte but it’s cheap and gets good mileage. I got 0% financing too. Drive both cars, you might like the Kia better, the manual trans models don’t have rev hang like the Honda. If resale or trade in is your main concern get the Honda. If you plan on going the distance the Kia has a better warranty.
I bought new a base ‘90 Honda Civic (70 hp!). Fantastic little car and I really wanted to emulate that fun economical work horse. At the price point I wanted Honda couldn’t help me, Kia could.

If I was in that situation, I'd probably go with the Kia. New car w/ nice warranty vs used car with 10k for less money is an easy decision for me. The newer Kias are plenty reliable compared to the Kias of a decade or two ago. Maybe not a 300k car, but I suspect it'll go the long haul just fine.

My first thought knowing you for a while is the Honda. Kia may be nice, but long term may have more problems. That is from someone who drives a 2017 Hyundai Elantra purchased new. What I see with Hyundai is when they fail it may mean a new engine or transmission that seems to be on back order.

It’s probably hard to find manuals, so you may be in a bit of a bind to find a new civic on the lot, maybe not though...

I agree with the statements that used Hondas are poor values because depreciation is low. The cost per mile becomes higher because you’re amortizing the next set of major maintenance and replacements over a shorter mileage for relatively high percentage of the new cost.

Id personally find a new civic if it’s a car you’ll drive the wheels off of. But if you can’t, I’d give the Kia a hard look.

Last edited:
I'd get the Kia if I planned on keeping it (rather than trading in in a couple of years) for the reasons previously stated.
Could somebody PM the dealers who are discounting Kias and Hyundais so much? I'd pick up a Steltos or Kona at those discounts...maybe even a Forte.

When I looked at Kias while in Florida recently....they were adding to the sticker with pinstriping, 'finish protection' etc.....ridiculous and a real turn off too...

Do you care about infotainment? If so, go with Kia. Try connecting your phone and play music or use navigation in both cars. You’ll know what I mean

Lots to consider as both are nice cars and good looking cars in their own right.
You'd need to drive both extensively and get a really good feeling for one over the other in terms of seat comfort, interior ride & quiet, outward vision, wants vs needs and all of the everyday-ness things that we as drivers want or don't want.

Do you want/need a rear independent suspension and 4 whl disc brakes? If so, get the Civic as the Forte' doesn't have either until the very top trim/performance level.

Do you value infotainment systems? If so, get the Forte' as Hyun/KIA systems are among the best and Honda's are among the lower rated systems.

Are your plans to keep the car for the long haul or only for example, 3 yrs?
Does resale value mean anything to you?
Both should be reliable but only one will be in reality. Which one? ...............................?

Back