2024 Toyota Tundra 3.4LTT

Agreed this is not a parallel hybrid, it is a mild hybrid. If it has the EV mode it should be able to cruise a distance or take an off ramp. Edit to add I looked at a few articles and found that electric mode is automatic and not selectable. Bummer.

Last edited:
Agreed this is not a parallel hybrid, it is a mild hybrid. If it has the EV mode it should be able to cruise a distance or take an off ramp. Edit to add I looked at a few articles and found that electric mode is automatic and not selectable. Bummer.
Basically it’s like Etorque on Dodges?

with the potential engine issues id keep it all dealer right now.Anything they can use to deny warranty they will
He’ll be showing up at the dealership every 10k miles as required by the warranty. Pretty hard to deny warranty when there’s a +100k vehicle recall and you’re showing up on schedule for maintenance.

The paranoia runs deep on BITOG…

I don’t believe the whole machining debris claim, it sounds more like a design flaw, but we shall see.
I would love to see one of the factory filters cut and the paper pulled out flat, just to see how much metal is in the filter. I've never seen a new engine that didn't have a bunch of machining metal in the filter.

Buy OE Toyota oil filters and use them when you do your own OCI @ 5k. They don't have to know that you changed your oil between their services. When they do their service @10k, they'll see a genuine Toyota filter.

If the Tundra is anything like my Tacoma, a different filter comes on from the factory than what you get behind the parts counter. They WILL know.

I would pay out of pocket for them to do the first 5K so after that they'll be none the wiser.

You are fine mixing oils. And warranty is a NON issue. It's against the law to deny warranty because someone does their own maintenance.
I don’t mean to pick on you, because technically you are correct but if their first position is to deny coverage, do you want to hire a lawyer to pay hourly (say with a 5k-10k retainer typical in a small case) to start discovery, or do you want your truck repaired without hassle or aggravation? My wife and I have both been attorneys for about 30 years, and there is a difference between technical correctness and sound, practical advice. Too many people here are willing to offer opinions without the experience to know how it works in practice. And in practice, if the dealer denies coverage because they believe there has been an issue with non-dealer maintenance, you or I can kick and scream all we want but we now have an expensive problem. Again, not trying to single you out but people need to think in more practical and experience based terms before they make pronouncements. As much as I am a Toyota fan, this motor has issues. Best advice is to play it safe and put that risk back to Toyota. Don’t give them an out. Take care.

I would love to see one of the factory filters cut and the paper pulled out flat, just to see how much metal is in the filter. I've never seen a new engine that didn't have a bunch of machining metal in the filter.

Actually there’s quite a few 2022+ Tundra owners. On one of the forums who are proactive in doing UOA’s. All wear metals coming back normal. The ones who do factory fill have typical break in metals that pop up.

If the Tundra is anything like my Tacoma, a different filter comes on from the factory than what you get behind the parts counter. They WILL know.

I would pay out of pocket for them to do the first 5K so after that they'll be none the wiser.
What? So what? You mean to tell me at the 10K mile oil change the tech is going to note and care that the oil was changed at 5k miles and use THAT information to DENY a warranty claim for what is a well-known and publicized issue?

Let's get a grip here. An engine showing up with no or low oil or thick muddy soup oil with 40k miles on it and with no documentation gets the warranty denial, not the I changed my oil twice as often as required engine.

This is unnecessary fear-mongering at it's best...

What? So what? You mean to tell me at the 10K mile oil change the tech is going to note and care that the oil was changed at 5k miles and use THAT information to DENY a warranty claim for what is a well-known and publicized issue?

Let's get a grip here. An engine showing up with no or low oil or thick muddy soup oil with 40k miles on it and with no documentation gets the warranty denial, not the I changed my oil twice as often as required engine.

If it "blows up" at say 7,500 miles then possibly. All kinds of shady stuff is done nowadays.

I don’t mean to pick on you, because technically you are correct but if their first position is to deny coverage, do you want to hire a lawyer to pay hourly (say with a 5k-10k retainer typical in a small case) to start discovery, or do you want your truck repaired without hassle or aggravation? My wife and I have both been attorneys for about 30 years, and there is a difference between technical correctness and sound, practical advice. Too many people here are willing to offer opinions without the experience to know how it works in practice. And in practice, if the dealer denies coverage because they believe there has been an issue with non-dealer maintenance, you or I can kick and scream all we want but we now have an expensive problem. Again, not trying to single you out but people need to think in more practical and experience based terms before they make pronouncements. As much as I am a Toyota fan, this motor has issues. Best advice is to play it safe and put that risk back to Toyota. Don’t give them an out. Take care.
I have a friend who works at a big firm in Boston with a lot of clients and he handles MM cases. His experience is MM cases over routine maintenance are exceedingly rare and rectified 99% of the time with a single-page letter. Matter-of-fact, he couldn't actually remember the last time a manufacturer tried to deny a warranty claim purely based on home maintenance for what was clearly a vehicle maintained according to warranty requirements. His cases most of the time have to do with modifications to vehicles and people not maintaining their vehicles at all. His advice was to do it correctly, on schedule, keep receipts, and don't worry about it.

You said it all in you last statement

Why are people buying these knowing about the issues? I asked the same about Ford’s 1.5/1.6 Ecoboost engines. With that example I assumed it was the ignorance of the problems from non car people.

This is at least the second post in a week about “will changing the oil more often fix this major design flaw?” I’m in the camp of do the minimum, run the crap outta that thing and plan on getting a black box engine while under warranty. Maybe by then the issue will have been remedied and they’ll put a good engine in it for you.

To go back to the original issue: Toyota is having a lot of issues with the new turbo six. They will get them straightened out but my only advice was to play it safe and have the truck serviced by the book at the dealer to protect yourself and put all the risk back on Toyota - they have zero wiggle room if you do that. And this makes me a know it all? Whatever.

As far as non dealer service, I think it can be fine, in fact in most cases owners report higher satisfaction with non dealer service. (Eg, Consumer Reports). But this is a special
where a vehicle is having highly publicized issues and a bunch of recalls. That’s really the issue, no fear mongering intended.

On a lighter note you might get a great deal on a Tundra right now.

Nobody is going to be denied a warranty claim because they did too many oil changes. And nobody would know about the extra change except for you. Plus, it's perfectly legal. You are fear mongering...

Back