2024 Toyota Tundra 3.4LTT

Nobody is going to be denied a warranty claim because they did too many oil changes. And nobody would know about the extra change except for you. Plus, it's perfectly legal. You are fear mongering...
Again, no fear mongering, just a suggestion that with the well publicized issues with this truck and the motor, it might be sensible to put the risk all back to Toyota. This way if there are any issues - and there have been lots of issues with this truck - they cannot wiggle out of it if their dealer is the only one who has touched it. Even if it is low risk, if it happens to you it is high impact. This is why you don’t insure or act on the basis of risk but rather on the basis of impact. Manufacturers will look to knock out claims when they are faced with tens of millions of dollars in warranty claims - it is just like any other insurance context. That’s really all. In other contexts, I would agree that less caution is needed and I wouldn’t sweat any of this stuff. Take care.

Again, no fear mongering, just a suggestion that with the well publicized issues with this truck and the motor, it might be sensible to put the risk all back to Toyota. This way if there are any issues - and there have been lots of issues with this truck - they cannot wiggle out of it if their dealer is the only one who has touched it. Even if it is low risk, if it happens to you it is high impact. This is why you don’t insure or act on the basis of risk but rather on the basis of impact. Manufacturers will look to knock out claims when they are faced with tens of millions of dollars in warranty claims - it is just like any other insurance context. That’s really all. In other contexts, I would agree that less caution is needed and I wouldn’t sweat any of this stuff. Take care.

For paranoid people, do the 5k oil change, and either reuse the filter, or use a Toyota brand filter (assuming the dealership uses same.) Done. Nobody will ever know you changed the oil.

Can you elaborate. and cite, where your information came from about crappy Toyota oil filters?
I will have to find the article, there are post on this forum as well. I've seen both 50% & 60% at 20 microns. Considering it's a pretty cheap filter, cost wise, and not made of synthetic material, it's obvious it would not rate well. Any high quality filter pretty much starts at around $15 each. You pay for what you get. A high quality filter is not going to be $5.

I will have to find the article, there are post on this forum as well. I've seen both 50% & 60% at 20 microns. Considering it's a pretty cheap filter, cost wise, and not made of synthetic material, it's obvious it would not rate well. Any high quality filter pretty much starts at around $15 each. You pay for what you get. A high quality filter is not going to be $5.
I would appreciate that.

So your saying Toyota designs and builds some of the most reliable engines in the world, my 3.4L for example, and then recommends a crappy filter?

Being made with synthetic material doesn't necessarily make it a superior filter.

If the Tundra is anything like my Tacoma, a different filter comes on from the factory than what you get behind the parts counter. They WILL know.

I would pay out of pocket for them to do the first 5K so after that they'll be none the wiser.
I just dumped the factory fill on my dad’s 25 Camry, and the OE filter was made in Japan with a different p/n, 90915-10004. The service filter is 90915-YZZN1 made in Thailand. My plan is to do the other two oil changes Toyota doesn’t cover under ToyotaCare.

I would appreciate that.

So your saying Toyota designs and builds some of the most reliable engines in the world, my 3.4L for example, and then recommends a crappy filter?

Being made with synthetic material doesn't necessarily make it a superior filter.
Here you go. I use the Purolator Boss filter.

Here you go. I use the Purolator Boss filter.

Read the comments. Just some snippets from the comments:

Cool test. What's rarely discussed though is how much dust "actually" needs filtering from engine oil. Many modern OE air filters are 99+% efficient and prevent most wear-causing particles from entering the oil in the first place. Some fuel systems incorporate separate air filters to filter air that enters the fuel tank as fuel is withdrawn (in addition to fuel filters). Therefore given adequate air/fuel filter design, an OE may determine lower oil filter efficiency still provides adequate engine design life. Lots of high mileage Toyota's on the road.

There is much missing from this conversation without actual oil flow rates in the intended applications. Does my 1ZZFE 1.8L I4 flow oil at even 3GPM? Remember, its entire oil capacity is 1G including the filter. When I bought it new in 2003 I used AC/Delco filters. They got hard to find so I switched to standard Purolators. They got stupidly priced so I went back to OEM. I've been using the same on my wife's 2009 2.4L Toyota. Both have well over a quarter million miles and run like new...

...Some decades ago, oil filters were tested in Finland and it was found that Toyota's OEM filters were an order of magnitude better than the others. I don't remember the criteria.It is almost impossible for a layman to distinguish the best imitations from the originals. I will gladly pay even double the price of a Toyota dealer when I can be sure that the product meets Toyota's requirements, whoever the real manufacturer is.

Ill stick with the oem Toyota filter, which is made by Denso. Paying $5 for an oil filter at the dealer is fine by me. Considering the filter is made by a car manufacturer who makes engines that are known to last over 300 and 400K miles.

I think manufacturers must balance filtering performance versus flow. We could put 1 micron filters on engine's, but then the engine's would be oil starved. So there's a balance between allowing enough oil in to protect surfaces versus keeping wear material out of the oil that cause damage. There's a sweet spot somewhere I'm sure.I was happy to see you suggest at the end that an explanation for the "capacity" results isn't that the filter is capturing that many particles but simply that your test is designed in such a way that there is just more stuff in suspension throughout the test rig. The filters with Higher "capacities" aren't holding all the material going into the test. It just takes that much material of the test dust to be introduced that the filters become clogged by a sufficient number of what sized particles are needed to clog them.I don't think the capacity interpretation correctly attributes the observed volume of material to the filter "holding" all the material introduced.I would submit that another interpretation is that lower filtering levels results in more material in circulation overall, even though "clogging" will occur later.

So your saying Toyota has the best flow rate but worst filtering performance. Then why do there engines last so long?

This video shows that Toyota filter has enough filtering properties.We use cheap Toyota filters for 15+ years and repair engines. And definitely main reasons of wearing motors are:- dust from intake system (90+% of cases) - untimely oil addition in cases when engine has oil comsumption- untimely oil change- poor oil quality etc...

I wonder if the Toyota filter was an actual genuine Toyota filter or a counterfeit part

Read the comments. Just some snippets from the comments:

Cool test. What's rarely discussed though is how much dust "actually" needs filtering from engine oil. Many modern OE air filters are 99+% efficient and prevent most wear-causing particles from entering the oil in the first place. Some fuel systems incorporate separate air filters to filter air that enters the fuel tank as fuel is withdrawn (in addition to fuel filters). Therefore given adequate air/fuel filter design, an OE may determine lower oil filter efficiency still provides adequate engine design life. Lots of high mileage Toyota's on the road.

There is much missing from this conversation without actual oil flow rates in the intended applications. Does my 1ZZFE 1.8L I4 flow oil at even 3GPM? Remember, its entire oil capacity is 1G including the filter. When I bought it new in 2003 I used AC/Delco filters. They got hard to find so I switched to standard Purolators. They got stupidly priced so I went back to OEM. I've been using the same on my wife's 2009 2.4L Toyota. Both have well over a quarter million miles and run like new...

...Some decades ago, oil filters were tested in Finland and it was found that Toyota's OEM filters were an order of magnitude better than the others. I don't remember the criteria.It is almost impossible for a layman to distinguish the best imitations from the originals. I will gladly pay even double the price of a Toyota dealer when I can be sure that the product meets Toyota's requirements, whoever the real manufacturer is.

Ill stick with the oem Toyota filter, which is made by Denso. Paying $5 for an oil filter at the dealer is fine by me. Considering the filter is made by a car manufacturer who makes engines that are known to last over 300 and 400K miles.

I think manufacturers must balance filtering performance versus flow. We could put 1 micron filters on engine's, but then the engine's would be oil starved. So there's a balance between allowing enough oil in to protect surfaces versus keeping wear material out of the oil that cause damage. There's a sweet spot somewhere I'm sure.I was happy to see you suggest at the end that an explanation for the "capacity" results isn't that the filter is capturing that many particles but simply that your test is designed in such a way that there is just more stuff in suspension throughout the test rig. The filters with Higher "capacities" aren't holding all the material going into the test. It just takes that much material of the test dust to be introduced that the filters become clogged by a sufficient number of what sized particles are needed to clog them.I don't think the capacity interpretation correctly attributes the observed volume of material to the filter "holding" all the material introduced.I would submit that another interpretation is that lower filtering levels results in more material in circulation overall, even though "clogging" will occur later.

So your saying Toyota has the best flow rate but worst filtering performance. Then why do there engines last so long?

This video shows that Toyota filter has enough filtering properties.We use cheap Toyota filters for 15+ years and repair engines. And definitely main reasons of wearing motors are:- dust from intake system (90+% of cases) - untimely oil addition in cases when engine has oil comsumption- untimely oil change- poor oil quality etc...

I wonder if the Toyota filter was an actual genuine Toyota filter or a counterfeit part

I agree with what you are saying. You make some solid points. I think Toyota generally builds a very high-quality engine, but the data shows there are better options available. Longevity in my opinion is based on the quality of the internal parts versus the oil filter. I would rather sacrifice a bit of flow for significantly better filtration.

Edit: when they cut open the filter it was obviously genuine. Fakes are total garbage inside. Saying these guys got a fake is far reach, IMO. Also, the issue with fakes has been drastically reduced in the past few years. If you search Google for Toyota filter, efficiency ratings there’s a good amount of discussion and they pretty much all say the same thing. If the efficiency rating was decent Denso would publish this.

Last edited:
I’m not fully sure.
I have a 22 Tundra platinum non hybrid and is affected by this recall . I’ve been using dealer oil changes every other oil change. And when do it I use M1 EP 0w20 . But folks with this recall can’t be scared they got to use the truck as it meant . Toyota will take care it

Toyota engines are some of the longest lasting engines on the planet even using the Denso filters.

Back