2024 Chevrolet Equinox EV

Looks great - "150kW peak DC fast charging" is not competitive.

It's giving up 100KWH to the Tesla and Hyundai/Kia cars.

Maybe the Blazer will be competitive?

It’s all a compromise though. You have to pay for faster charging through bigger cooling systems, larger gauge wiring, etc. That costs $$

The base Equinox EV will be a solid $10,000 cheaper before rebate ($17,500 w/rebate) than a base IONIQ 5, yet with more range, more power and likely more interior space. Part of that deal is accepting slower peak charging - I guess the consumer can decide.

A good example is the base 2022 IONIQ 5 in Canada. To make it cheaper they literally didn’t include ANY DC fast charging for some cars. They gutted all the expensive parts that made it charge fast.

Last edited:
It’s all a compromise though. You have to pay for faster charging through bigger cooling systems, larger gauge wiring, etc. That costs $$

The base Equinox EV will be a solid $10,000 cheaper before rebate ($17,500) than a base IONIQ 5, yet with more range, more power and likely more interior space. Part of that deal is accepting slower peak charging - I guess the consumer can decide.

A good example is the base 2022 IONIQ 5 in Canada. To make it cheaper they literally didn’t include ANY DC fast charging for some cars.

No fast charging is basically a useless EV. Sure there are cases that would only charge at home and I could almost do that, but the second I need to charge elsewhere considering it would be for work with a time frame, I'd be screwed.

The base Equinox EV will be a solid $10,000 cheaper before rebate than a base IONIQ 5, yet with more range, more power and likely more interior space.

A good example is the base 2022 IONIQ 5 in Canada. To make it cheaper they literally didn’t include ANY DC fast charging for some cars.

Of course its a compromise, and a trip down memory lane from BEV travel a decade ago.

A 250KW peak can get you quite close to ice on a medium range trip.

On price - like the non existent 69K vette - It's not really possible to say what it will actually cost anyone because MSRP is only a suggestion - its not sold directly, but through the GM channel and we know what they do their customers.

No fast charging is basically a useless EV. Sure there are cases that would only charge at home and I could almost do that, but the second I need to charge elsewhere considering it would be for work with a time frame, I'd be screwed.

150 isnt terrible, its 3x what a bolt can do, but still a decade old from a stat perspective and WAY off the leaderboard cars.

The car is also a pouch car, that is a handicap as well.

Yikes, I didn't know that. I was just commenting on its look.

Here’s a good example of why the peak charging number isn’t the whole story. The new Nissan Ariya only peaks at 130kw, but the charging curve is very flat. It’ll match pretty much any Tesla in a deep DC-fast charging session. Near-empty to near-full.

As they explain in the video, if you don't have home charging and plug into a DCFC once-per-week while you shop for 45-60 minutes (for example), the higher peaking cars are of little benefit.

The Ariya is at 78kw at 80% while a Model Y is only at 52kw at 80%

The Ariya is at 60kw at 90% while a Model Y is only at 36kw at 90%

We’ll see how the Equinox/Blazer curves are…

Here’s a good example of why the peak charging number isn’t the whole story. The new Nissan Ariya only peaks at 130kw, but the charging curve is very flat. It’ll match pretty much any Tesla in a deep DC-fast charging session. Near-empty to near-full.

As they explain in the video, if you don't have home charging and plug into a DCFC once-per-week while you shop for 45-60 minutes (for example), the higher peaking cars are of little benefit.

Sort of. Ariya speed gates its DC fast charging is not repeatable.

Go to the 14 minute mark and listen to what he says about it. It gates to less than 90 KW.

At 80% you are off the charger and on the road.

Ariya doenst make it to the first page even. Its more than an hour off the leaders in an optimized 1000Km run.

Agreed peak isnt the whole story, but it's a good indicator of what you can put in during a short duration stop.

Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 8.09.49 PM.png

I don't know if quoting a Nissan on charging would be a slap on Tesla. Nissan has not exactly had a great track record of battery management and Out of Spec Reviews has done some tests on Leafs where they have almost no restriction on charging, regardless of the temperature. I'm sure the Ariya is more in line with other cars now.

Honestly what keeps us in Tesla at this point is the charging network itself. Most non Tesla in my driving range here is Level 2 except for a bank of chargers here in town and some in larger known cities. The problem is that I'm not always going into those larger cities and one of my furthest destinations has Superchargers along the way.

This site allows you to filter your EV purchase using a multitude of preferences...

Oil companies are doing fine, you can buy all the fuel you want...at a price.
Our new Ram and Jeep inventory is well over 100, some companies are doing better than others in this covid era.

I used a current example on EV supply, and am confident in saying that these issues will continue, my bet is to at least 2035.
That California mandate will have far reaching impacts on EV supply.
I am not sure having well over 100 on the lot when everyone else is sold out is considered "successful" today. If anything that means they should have produce something that sells faster. I hope they are profiting from keeping the on the lot today.

I give props to GM for having a design team that could make a fairly attractive EV. Way too many cars today are like 21st Century Edsels in appearance, especially EV's.

If they can really produce them with a base model selling for around $30k, they meet published specifications, don't have massive recalls within the first year and don't turn out to be a POS after a couple of years worth of consumer feedback, they will have a competitive EV.

However there isn't much that GM has done in the last 50 years that gives me much confidence that they will be able to execute as planned.

As Mr. Keryk has pointed out, the key to success in the EV marketplace will depend upon two things: A LOT of experience coupled with modern and innovative manufacturing methods, or a LOT of capital.

GM and Ford don't have a LOT of capital so I suspect a lot of cost cutting methods will be applied just to have "something" to sell in the EV category. A good reason to avoid them. VW and Toyota will likely offer some competition to Tesla, especially if Tesla continues to put a lower priced EV model on the back burner. Nissan and Stelantis ? Who knows. At the high end BMW, Porsche and Audi will sell small numbers to their fan base to whom $100k + doesn't mean much but they won't capture a large segment.

It's going to be an interesting next 5 years for sure.
The biggest reason Tesla is successful is Elon being able to just magically get capital, a lot of capital, from thin air. Having nearly unlimited capital based on the promise of cool cars and the promise of growing super fast (hence investor return) means he can just dump a lot of money to solve problems that other auto companies cannot solve, like hiring the most expensive engineers and buying the most expensive equipment.

Everyone else want to use those giant cast and aluminum body, but nobody else can afford it. People buy cars expecting a discount off MSRP and people won't invest in auto companies expecting 2x return in a year because of the story you tell. Nobody believes Ford / GM / Nissan / Toyota etc to suddenly grow fast like Tesla, hence they don't get capital like Tesla, hence they can't grow fast like Tesla. One day Tesla will face the same problem like GM / Ford / Nissan / Toyota, but not yet. The end of low interest rate era may be the biggest problem for Tesla, not government or competitor catching up.

So the new car is really a Quinox that is electrified and thus an EQuinox? It's a good looking car. I'm curious about it and the Blazer as I anticipate selling a rental property this year and creating a LT CG tax liability they could offset. I'm also spec'ing on an Escape PHEV. Half the credit amount but zero range issues ever since it reverts to ICE. So I'll be following this to see what happens with both new for 24 Chevys.

Awesome, the next few years are going to be interesting, and wow, if they can hold the pricing. This is an example of Main Street USA as well as their upcoming larger versions of SUVs.
Competition might help hold the price on this GM entry level SUV but demand will most likely make it hard to get that entry level price.

I often wonder if pricing of ICE versions will stay stable, go up or go down… interesting times for sure. Even more so when the taxpayers stop giving people $7,500 to buy a car

so far I’ve been happy with my Volt. I suspect the Equinox EV will be my next car. Just have to wait for the 30K ones to be produced!

Back