2024 Chevrolet Equinox EV

I give props to GM for having a design team that could make a fairly attractive EV. Way too many cars today are like 21st Century Edsels in appearance, especially EV's.

If they can really produce them with a base model selling for around $30k, they meet published specifications, don't have massive recalls within the first year and don't turn out to be a POS after a couple of years worth of consumer feedback, they will have a competitive EV.

However there isn't much that GM has done in the last 50 years that gives me much confidence that they will be able to execute as planned.

As Mr. Keryk has pointed out, the key to success in the EV marketplace will depend upon two things: A LOT of experience coupled with modern and innovative manufacturing methods, or a LOT of capital.

GM and Ford don't have a LOT of capital so I suspect a lot of cost cutting methods will be applied just to have "something" to sell in the EV category. A good reason to avoid them. VW and Toyota will likely offer some competition to Tesla, especially if Tesla continues to put a lower priced EV model on the back burner. Nissan and Stelantis ? Who knows. At the high end BMW, Porsche and Audi will sell small numbers to their fan base to whom $100k + doesn't mean much but they won't capture a large segment.

It's going to be an interesting next 5 years for sure.

This tells me the next gen Equinox will have "improved" styling**

Recently, I saw the new Ramos Arizpe Built Blazer EV is to be released in '23 as a '24

Wonder if these will end up External Combustion vehicles?

Me? I want STEAM !

Real external combustion motor+vation just seems cool - again.

blazer.jpg

GM-Ramos-Arizpe-plant-Mexico.jpg

** UPDATE: Or NOT. This is also on the BEV3 skateboard platform so I would guess no IC fitment possibility

Last edited:
A little more info from the North American Intl Auto Show.

EV Buyer’s Guide (Alex on Autos) confirms the heat pump is standard, as was expected with all GM Ultium vehicles.

Interesting thought process... Let's see...
Tesla as a company is the top automobile maker. They are worth more than the next 5 car companies combined!
Their competition is probably NIO, Lucid, Rivian, and maybe the traditional companies.

Tesla's GM% is like 30% vs 6% or 7% from GM, Ford, VW, etc. That is huge leverage. If they chose to, they could cut margins by lowering price, down to, say 10% and crush anyone on basis of price. Giga Casting baby!
Their factories are new, state of the art. Tesla factories are much more efficient; they build cars in half the time of traditional factories.
They are vertically integrated unlike traditional car companies (think chips and software). All this allows for their incredible margins, which are the envy of the industry.

Did you know the Model Y is expected by analysts to be the #1 selling vehicle of any kind in the world, perhaps next year? As Berlin and Austin ramp, the numbers will be staggering. Berlin alone will easily sell 250K cars next year. 500K in another year. Tesla is expected to announce Giga Canada by year end.

The (butt-ugly) Cybertruk has like 1M orders and should show up next year. The SEMI is immanent. The cheap car (Model 2, Model 4, whatever) may come in 2014. Tesla is considering their own battery material mining company...

Still waiting on the big guys... GM loses money on every Bolt they sell. Maybe they can use Tesla's SuperCharger network? Or will we the taxpayers have to buy them one?

All good @alarmguy. I just like to look at things from a business point of view. The numbers don't lie.
I’m not sure what numbers the number of Teslas on the road compared to the big manufacturers but I can tell you that it’s just a fraction compared to the companies you mention. Get back to me when Tesla catches up

Please and let’s lay off the taxpayer stuff.
You’re inventing something that didn’t even happen and turning it to sound negative.

maybe you have the information available, I don’t and I don’t have any interest but how much taxpayer money went to Tesla owners to buy a car?
How much taxpayer money went to people who put solar panels on their roofs?
Those would be real numbers not baseless speculation on your part on something that did not happen.

This subject really isn’t important to me and I hope you know as usual I’m just having a conversation but you’re definitely more jaded when it comes to Tesla and unable to factually layout actual sales numbers and vehicles on the road instead of using figures like stock speculation on Wall Street, all that stuff means nothing in two or three years down the road if tesla stops gaining market share, that stock will tank like Enron did.

I’ll repeat it’s just a car, one more time, it’s just a car, there is no loyalty from the average American, price, availability and convenience rules.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what numbers the number of Teslas on the road compared to the big manufacturers but I can tell you that it’s just a fraction compared to the companies you mention. Get back to me when Tesla catches up

Please and let’s lay off the taxpayer stuff.
You’re inventing something that didn’t even happen and turning it to sound negative.

maybe you have the information available, I don’t and I don’t have any interest but how much taxpayer money went to Tesla owners to buy a car?
How much taxpayer money went to people who put solar panels on their roofs?
Those would be real numbers not baseless speculation on your part on something that did not happen.

This subject really isn’t important to me and I hope you know as usual I’m just having a conversation but you’re definitely more jaded when it comes to Tesla and unable to factually layout actual sales numbers and vehicles on the road instead of using figures like stock speculation on Wall Street, all that stuff means nothing in two or three years down the road if tesla stops gaining market share, that stock will tank like Enron did.

I’ll repeat it’s just a car, one more time, it’s just a car, there is no loyalty from the average American, price, availability and convenience rules.
All good @alarmguy. I always listen to your words. My points are based on business fundamentals. Car companies, like all for profit companies, are in the business of making money.
Of course you are right about vehicle sales numbers. Tesla cannot keep up with demand; their factories run at full speed. Fremont capacity is maxed out, but the others are ramping capacity. What about profitability? The major manufacturers make about 25% per vehicle vs Tesla.

The tax subsidies were not just available to Tesla. I think you know, Musk has always been against subsidies. And now, it seems you and I will be contributing to a charging network. Tesla built and continues expanding its own.

A key reason I like Tesla the company (not necessarily their cars) is that they brought the Fremont plant back from the grave. Our 4-4-2 was built there in 1965; then the plant shuttered. NUMMI took over; my 1993 Toyota 4WD PU was built there. Then they left, once again leaving a huge hole in the local economy. People lost their homes, many support businesses shuttered, as did restaurants, etc. When Tesla took over, they took out full page ads in the local newpaper urging ex-NUMMI workers to apply. Constant radio ads, etc. Today there are over 10,000 workers there, far more than GM or NUMMI ever employed.

Tesla is a great American success story and is leading the world in their market. Yes, I am somewhat jaded.
All good, bro.

This looks like a nice EV.

Hopefully it can actually manage a competitive charge rate on a 1K trip.

Anyone want to guess what the added dealer markup will be when it actually hits the showroom floors?
ADM is basically what killed the volt.

This looks like a nice EV.

Hopefully it can actually manage a competitive charge rate on a 1K trip.

Anyone want to guess what the added dealer markup will be when it actually hits the showroom floors?
ADM is basically what killed the volt.

My guess is that this will be such a high volume vehicle that dealer-markups will be rare. Maybe just the first month or two on the lots?

Probably not the type of customers that are willing to pay much for markups either. Middle class customers who have been waiting forever for an “affordable”, $35k crossover EV.

My guess is that this will be such a high volume vehicle that dealer-markups will be rare. Maybe just the first month or two on the lots?

Probably not the type of customers that are willing to pay much for markups either. Middle class customers who have been waiting forever for an “affordable”, $35k crossover EV.

Im guessing it will be MSRP + for some years before its high volume.
The EV we see in these picts isnt going to be anywhere near 35K.
Id bet the AWD long range version of what were looking at is high 50's + ADM.

We can only hope you can order the vehicle and pay price shown instead of dealing with a dealership. Chevy can figure a better model of standard kick to delivering dealer .

Im guessing it will be MSRP + for some years before its high volume.
The EV we see in these picts isnt going to be anywhere near 35K.
Id bet the AWD long range version of what were looking at is high 50's + ADM.

I was actually looking at the blazer when I quoted these prices which are pretty spot on.

I hope the equinox can hold the lower pricing but I fear the dealers will sap the clients here as well.

Tesla = One hit wonder once the top automobile makers start selling EVs.
Thats my feeling, no value in Tesla's and the big makers will be producing EVs for the mass market at mass market pricing.
I do THINK if Tesla can get its act together maybe it can compete in the more expensive luxury sport market but they will have to drastically improve the quality. Something about them will have to change with the market and I am sure it will, right now the way things are they will get run over.

The looks of this Blazer, in my eyes at least, blow away any of the Tesla's and a much, much lower price. Unlike forums, the average consumer is not going to split hairs over speed and acceleration, they are all fast enough to be practical. In fact once mass market, some will intentionally be looking for slower models once they see insurance costs.
Lets not forget, gas vehicles are going no place.
It won’t be long before GM‘s non cylindrical battery cell issues start reinforcing the reputation for low quality that GM has had nearly forever.

The bottom line is that Tesla has the drivetrain worked out. The others, not so much. There is a reason BMW is switching to 4680 cells. GM is still building the plants to make cells with the iffy bloat-prone technology of Radio Controlled drone and airplane batteries. Good thing GM had the foresight to make bite-sized modules that can be individually changed out 😂

It won’t be long before GM‘s non cylindrical battery cell issues start reinforcing the reputation for low quality that GM has had nearly forever.

The bottom line is that Tesla has the drivetrain worked out. The others, not so much. There is a reason BMW is switching to 4680 cells. GM is still building the plants to make cells with the iffy bloat-prone technology of Radio Controlled drone and airplane batteries. Good thing GM had the foresight to make bite-sized modules that can be individually changed out 😂
I like GM vehicles, quality value durability. I’ve had my share of Hondas Subaru and Nissians.

Never had a major repair on a GM vehicle but I have an all the above brands.
The major manufacturers will get things worked out rapidly and Tesla needs to rapidly work out fit finish and quality of materials for its price range.

I’m just saying they all have things to work out and it’s easy to pick a part any particular manufacturer with a new product coming out on the market. There’s going to be a lot of manufacturers building EVs And some will be large enough to also build ICE vehicles which will remain popular.

I like GM vehicles, quality value durability. I’ve had my share of Hondas Subaru and Nissan's.
Statistically, GM does not fare well when objective criteria is used. only Jaguar, Volvo and yes Tesla have more shop visits per year/or mile. Brands like Toyota and cars like the Camry, can be at least an order of magnitude more reliable (at one shop visit per year for 10 cars) than a comparable VW Passat or any number of GM vehicles. (At at least one shop visit per year)

the list is topped by an array of Toyota and Honda models and tapers off with Ford, GM, Chrysler, Jaguar XF, Lincoln, the fantastic Nissan Altima and various BMW products.

trudelta.com crunched a lot of reliability data and came to some stunning conclusions. And yet, here I am driving a Jaguar and looking to purchase another

Last edited:
I really haven't been much of a GM fan in recent years, but that looks great.

Looks great - "150kW peak DC fast charging" is not competitive.

It's giving up 100KW peak charging to the Tesla and Hyundai/Kia cars.

Maybe the Blazer will be competitive?

Last edited:
Back