2024 4Runner ... Port-Injection or Direct-Injection?

Our new 2024 4Runner has the “4.0L DOHC 24-Valve V6 w/ Dual Independent VVT-i”

Is it PI or DI? I have been finding information stating both, or PI. No clue and am curious.

Second, being that this will be our vacation vehicle and my vehicle that I tow with occasionally, any recs on 0W-20 for this? I can find ST on sale at my Wally-world roughly twice a year along with QSUD 0W-20. Figured either will do this engine just fine.

Last edited:
Look on the intake manifold. If there's injectors it's port injection or dual injection. If not then it's direct injection.

If you find a camshaft driven fuel pump or steel fuel lines with compression fittings then it probably has direct injection.

Or you could Google it

Look on the intake manifold. If there's injectors it's port injection or dual injection. If not then it's direct injection.

If you find a camshaft driven fuel pump or steel fuel lines with compression fittings then it probably has direct injection.

Or you could Google it
Gotcha, thanks.

I did Google it and that’s where I was finding conflicting information.

Our new 2024 4Runner has the “4.0L DOHC 24-Valve V6 w/ Dual Independent VVT-i”

Is it PI or DI? I have been finding information stating both, or PI. No clue and am curious.

Second, being that this will be our vacation vehicle and my vehicle that I tow with occasionally, any recs on 0W-20 for this? I can find ST on sale at my Wally-world roughly twice a year along with QSUD 0W-20. Figured either will do this engine just fine.
I run 5w50 in mine...

The engine hasn't changed since 2010 at least.

Here's an older overseas oil chart for our 4.0...and the USA OM states a higher viscosity than 0w20 may be better for some circumstances. (paraphrased)

Currently using 5w30 and will likely move up to a -40 later.

Enjoy your 4R!

IMG_8737.jpeg

The manual for these is annoying. Use a 0w20. If 0w20 isn’t available, a 5w20 can be used, but a 0w20 must be used next time. If they vehicle is used for towing, you may increase the viscosity by a grade. Does that mean a 0w30 or 5w30 should be used?

I use 5w30 in my wife’s since it’s under warranty. (No idea when the warranty runs out.) I use 0w40 in my mom’s 2015.

The engine hasn't changed since 2010 at least.
That is one thing that has me interested. Port, and an older proven design. The TRD supercharger looks appealing on this one, still a bit "low" on power for a newer vehicle.

The manual for these is annoying. Use a 0w20. If 0w20 isn’t available, a 5w20 can be used, but a 0w20 must be used next time. If they vehicle is used for towing, you may increase the viscosity by a grade. Does that mean a 0w30 or 5w30 should be used?

I use 5w30 in my wife’s since it’s under warranty. (No idea when the warranty runs out.) I use 0w40 in my mom’s 2015.
It's CAFE that's annoying, which requires the wording. Same oil used in testing ust be the only one listed for use. Poppycock.

Without it, we'd have the same viscosity listed in US manuals as is listed overseas.

Back