2023 Nissan Titan

What's the word on the new Titan? I know Nissan's quality is not what it used to be, but it has some features I like: No Start-Stop, No cylinder deactivation, No Turbos. They sell so few, it's hard to do good research on the common problems. I know they have the 5 year/100K warranty, but I tend to keep my vehicles for a LONG time. I still have a 2001 Xterra that I bought new, 260,000 miles and the most reliable vehicles I've owned. That's one reason I still consider a Nissan.

I'm also considering a 2023 Tacoma 6 speed manual. I know that's probably the wise choice from a reliability standpoint, but I sure would enjoy the room and comfort of a full size truck.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
If you want a Manual Tacoma you'd better get one now. There's rumors the next update/ model will drop the 6 speed manual option. Only 5% of Tacomas sold are manual. I'm bummed that the Ford Ranger or the Chevy has no manual option.

If you want a Manual Tacoma you'd better get one now. There's rumors the next update/ model will drop the 6 speed manual option. Only 5% of Tacomas sold are manual. I'm bummed that the Ford Ranger or the Chevy has no manual option.
Where are you seeing that only 5% of Tacoma’s are manual?

That sounds low to me.

Where are you seeing that only 5% of Tacoma’s are manual?

That sounds low to me.
When it comes to the Tacoma, which offers a six-speed manual in 4×4 TRD models, we’re looking at a take rate of 5%. That’s the same when looking at the Yaris sedan, and Toyota no longer even offers a manual on the Yaris hatchback.

"Toyota Tells Us Exactly How Many Manual Transmissions it Sells, Including the Tacoma."​

ViA tfl truck. This was from 2019 so fairly recent. Some markets east vs west coast could be slightly higher.

My understanding is that the Titan was a solid truck, it just never sold all that well.

Pretty much nails it.

Trucks have fierce loyalty (deserved or not) that is tough for japanese manufacturers to crack.

On the new mopar turbo I6, I really hope they get it right.

I have a 2017 4x4 I bought new. It only has 33k miles but so far it’s been trouble free. At the time they had a five year 100k mike warranty that was a real incentive for me to take a gamble. It was also advertised for a significant discount By a dealer in TN so I drove a few hours to save somewhere between 8-10k off MSRP when local dealers wouldn’t even get close.

The warranty just expired last month. So far I don’t regret buying it at all. At least z75% of those miles were with a boat behind it.

I'm not suggesting it's a poor truck because it isn't, but its problem is that it's not a competitive truck. Whatever it does, other trucks do better and then some. If reliability is the only thing that matters to you, there's the Tundra. Everything else you might want in a truck is better packaged in the big 3.

They may have been better off aiming for the value segment. Entry level trucks that still look nice on the outside but with low frills and even lower prices. Because the truck isn't competitive right now, but the price doesn't reflect that.

I can respect that stance. For me though, I don't really compare truck what it does competitively to other trucks "on paper". The Titan is just as capable in my own experience but they are conservative with their tow ratings which has hurt them in the world of " give me more than I would actually feel comfortable towing" . I do feel they should have marketed the truck much better than it did. Also, I should have done whatever it took to bring up all the tow ratings to what modern customers demand.

The other part for me is that the most important aspect when purchasing a vehicle is what it's like to live with, what it's like to drive, and how you feel using it everyday. I have not owned a newer generation Titan my brother does but and loves it. My 2008 however was just a pleasure in every way did everything I asked it, and just had such a good feel for lack of a better word when driving.

I can respect that stance. For me though, I don't really compare truck what it does competitively to other trucks "on paper". The Titan is just as capable in my own experience but they are conservative with their tow ratings which has hurt them in the world of " give me more than I would actually feel comfortable towing" . I do feel they should have marketed the truck much better than it did. Also, I should have done whatever it took to bring up all the tow ratings to what modern customers demand.

The other part for me is that the most important aspect when purchasing a vehicle is what it's like to live with, what it's like to drive, and how you feel using it everyday. I have not owned a newer generation Titan my brother does but and loves it. My 2008 however was just a pleasure in every way did everything I asked it, and just had such a good feel for lack of a better word when driving.

I know for sure the other 4 brands all follow the J2807 standard for tow ratings, so they're all rated with the same conditions, I'd be shocked if the Titan didn't. That's why I'm certain those titan tow ratings are either J2807 or very much a real number, because the titan just has an average engine in terms of power and it's right in the middle of the other trucks that have similar power outputs. I don't think Titan is conservative at all, those numbers seem right where they should be.

But your post kind of proves my point. People just say "they like it", but that doesn't mean much when others like the other brands too. What draws people to the titan over the competitors? If you put tow ratings or max power first, you go Ford. If you put ride/comfort and value first, Ram. If you want longevity, Toyota. Chevy's are second with power outputs and tow ratings and have their fans like Ford. There is nothing that really separates Titan, it's always a generation behind the competitors.

It also only has one powertrain, which is mid pack/average. The big 3 all offer various options, there are entry level v6's and big v8's and tiny turbos and diesels and if you want an average v8 like the Titan has, all 3 offer those too. If you're into towing and want all the camera and backup tech, while towing > 10,000 pounds; the big 3 have that nailed down incredibly well (Titan has nothing to offer here that I'm aware of). Luxurious 4 corner air suspension? Ram. Other gimmicky features like HUD? GM. Fancy tailgates that open multiples ways? All 3 have something going on there. I could go on.

Just like the current Ram classic, which is a fourth gen ram still being sold while the fifth gen rams are out, Ram sells both concurrently but the classic is usually thousands cheaper, maybe even up to 10,000 in some cases. That's how those trucks sell, and the newest Titan is a competitor to the classic but is priced against the 5th gen which beats it every which way (lets ignore looks in this discussion as that's purely subjective anyway).

And truck buyers are some of the most brand loyal you can get in America. If you want to upstage that and sell a product in that market, you need to offer something to draw them in; with the current Titan, only a severe price drop will do that.

I know for sure the other 4 brands all follow the J2807 standard for tow ratings, so they're all rated with the same conditions, I'd be shocked if the Titan didn't. That's why I'm certain those titan tow ratings are either J2807 or very much a real number, because the titan just has an average engine in terms of power and it's right in the middle of the other trucks that have similar power outputs. I don't think Titan is conservative at all, those numbers seem right where they should be.

But your post kind of proves my point. People just say "they like it", but that doesn't mean much when others like the other brands too. What draws people to the titan over the competitors? If you put tow ratings or max power first, you go Ford. If you put ride/comfort and value first, Ram. If you want longevity, Toyota. Chevy's are second with power outputs and tow ratings and have their fans like Ford. There is nothing that really separates Titan, it's always a generation behind the competitors.

It also only has one powertrain, which is mid pack/average. The big 3 all offer various options, there are entry level v6's and big v8's and tiny turbos and diesels and if you want an average v8 like the Titan has, all 3 offer those too. If you're into towing and want all the camera and backup tech, while towing > 10,000 pounds; the big 3 have that nailed down incredibly well (Titan has nothing to offer here that I'm aware of). Luxurious 4 corner air suspension? Ram. Other gimmicky features like HUD? GM. Fancy tailgates that open multiples ways? All 3 have something going on there. I could go on.

Just like the current Ram classic, which is a fourth gen ram still being sold while the fifth gen rams are out, Ram sells both concurrently but the classic is usually thousands cheaper, maybe even up to 10,000 in some cases. That's how those trucks sell, and the newest Titan is a competitor to the classic but is priced against the 5th gen which beats it every which way (lets ignore looks in this discussion as that's purely subjective anyway).

And truck buyers are some of the most brand loyal you can get in America. If you want to upstage that and sell a product in that market, you need to offer something to draw them in; with the current Titan, only a severe price drop will do that.
Nissan has always been conservative and realistic with its tow ratings. They follow the same test standards. The J2807 but that doesn’t mean they have to rate it at the max. For example the XD which is a heavier truck is rated for 11,000 + lbs with the same gas engine and 9 speed trans.

The regular 1/2 ton chassis is more capable than the 9400 they rate it.

The Titan is not behind the competition at all Except in 2 areas. The 1st area is the screen options. Max size is 9 inches. The 2nd is engine options. Just the one gas 5.6 but it is a great motor. For anyone who wants a N/A gas V8 1/2 ton it’s worth a look as much as anyone else’s. If you want a small diesel or turbo V6 then it obviously doesn’t fit the bill.

Also Nissan pioneered the around view camera setup. The Titan does have that.

Nissan has always been conservative and realistic with its tow ratings. They follow the same test standards. The J2807 but that doesn’t mean they have to rate it at the max. For example the XD which is a heavier truck is rated for 11,000 + lbs with the same gas engine and 9 speed trans.

The regular 1/2 ton chassis is more capable than the 9400 they rate it.

The Titan is not behind the competition at all Except in 2 areas. The 1st area is the screen options. Max size is 9 inches. The 2nd is engine options. Just the one gas 5.6 but it is a great motor. For anyone who wants a N/A gas V8 1/2 ton it’s worth a look as much as anyone else’s. If you want a small diesel or turbo V6 then it obviously doesn’t fit the bill.

Also Nissan pioneered the around view camera setup. The Titan does have that.

It's behind in many areas, I've mentioned a number already. MPG is abysmall as well. Anybody who has tested the titan back to back with the big 3 will discover that quickly as I did. It's not the 360 degree camera only, it's all the towing options that the titan doesn't have. For example, GM has the transulcent trailer image, the backup camera in your truck can "see through" the trailer and merge with the images from the side mirrors, etc etc.

As for the tow ratings, I'm going to need some official documentation to believe that they purposely derate their truck from J2807. That would be very foolish on their part and serve no purpose.

It's behind in many areas, I've mentioned a number already. MPG is abysmall as well. Anybody who has tested the titan back to back with the big 3 will discover that quickly as I did. It's not the 360 degree camera only, it's all the towing options that the titan doesn't have. For example, GM has the transulcent trailer image, the backup camera in your truck can "see through" the trailer and merge with the images from the side mirrors, etc etc.

As for the tow ratings, I'm going to need some official documentation to believe that they purposely derate their truck from J2807. That would be very foolish on their part and serve no purpose.
You owned a 2020 or newer Titan? Or you went for a drive around the block to test the MPG?

Also the majority of 1/2 ton trucks are rated for 10,000 or LESS for towing. It’s always a unique combo that no one buys that has some insane rating where as every 1/2 ton titan since 2017 has at least a 9200 lb rating.

What's the word on the new Titan? I know Nissan's quality is not what it used to be, but it has some features I like: No Start-Stop, No cylinder deactivation, No Turbos. They sell so few, it's hard to do good research on the common problems. I know they have the 5 year/100K warranty, but I tend to keep my vehicles for a LONG time. I still have a 2001 Xterra that I bought new, 260,000 miles and the most reliable vehicles I've owned. That's one reason I still consider a Nissan.

I'm also considering a 2023 Tacoma 6 speed manual. I know that's probably the wise choice from a reliability standpoint, but I sure would enjoy the room and comfort of a full size truck.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Also only truck with a 5 year / 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.
A good review:

Last edited:
I told him that it would be really stupid to pay $5,000.00 over on something that Nissan was pulling the plug on. He just shrugged his shoulders. -
I keep hearing some people say this, yet what does this have to do with the price on ice cream on wednesdays?
I compleetly do not udnerstand this "logic".
At some point all models get either replaced or discontinuted ( even if this will happen which is by no means assured) so even if a name plate were to be around for infinity it would not do anything for spare parts supply t=since those would be redesigns.

The Titan is one of the most reliable trucks on the market, with great perfomance, fantastic ergonomic interior not obverloaded, One of the best engines ( closed deck titanium valves, forged everything, Molybdenum sleeves, etc etc) and the best warranty on the business. 5 yr/100000 mile bumper to bumper.

I dont own one but if I were in the markert for a fullsize truck I'd run, not walk, to my Nissan dealer.

And truck buyers are some of the most brand loyal you can get in America. If you want to upstage that and sell a product in that market, you need to offer something to draw them in; with the current Titan, only a severe price drop will do that

I do agree that Nissan could have been more aggressive in their marketing and feature content. I think Nissan did fail in that they have not catered to the consumers need for more and more and more and gimmicky features. And truthfully that's just the way people are these days so if you want to be successful you do have to adhere to that.

It's funny you say what I mentioned about liking it proves your point exactly. But I'll tell you this, I have never bought a vehicle, truck or car because of a specific feature or it has the most power etc etc. I looked at them all online drove them and chose the one I LIKED THE MOST. But again, a lot of people have the mentality of " I bought the Ford super duty because it can tow over 30,000 lb, I currently tow an 8,000 lb trailer but you never know"

You owned a 2020 or newer Titan? Or you went for a drive around the block to test the MPG?

You don't have to own a truck to discover it's missing features and drives/rides worse than the competition. Otherwise using your logic there is no way for you to insist that the Titan is competitive unless you owned the other 4.

It's not just me either, read and reviews and they say the same thing; the titan is a good truck but it's always behind the big 3.

I appreciate the discussion. Long term reliability is my main concern. I don't like start/stop systems, cylinder deactivation, or turbos for the potential problems farther down the line. I don't really need another vehicle at the moment, but I anticipate the Tacoma will loose its manual option next year and the Titan probably won't make it past 2024. I know the Tacoma is probably the safe bet for reliability, but I'd kind of like the room and comfort of a full size.

Also the majority of 1/2 ton trucks are rated for 10,000 or LESS for towing. It’s always a unique combo that no one buys that has some insane rating where as every 1/2 ton titan since 2017 has at least a 9200 lb rating.

Speaking for Ram since I own one; you can easily get north of 10,000 pounds with the 3.92 axle in a big horn trim and hemi or ED. My payload is 1750 (door sticker), good luck matching that in the Titan as I've never seen that. My truck is rated around 8000 pounds, if I had ordered the 3.92 that would give me an additional 3000 pounds.

Even the GM 2.7 turbo has a 9000 pound rating these days. No "unique combo" needed.

I'm also done arguing this, buy and like as you wish.

I do agree that Nissan could have been more aggressive in their marketing and feature content. I think Nissan did fail in that they have not catered to the consumers need for more and more and more and gimmicky features. And truthfully that's just the way people are these days so if you want to be successful you do have to adhere to that.

It's funny you say what I mentioned about liking it proves your point exactly. But I'll tell you this, I have never bought a vehicle, truck or car because of a specific feature or it has the most power etc etc. I looked at them all online drove them and chose the one I LIKED THE MOST. But again, a lot of people have the mentality of " I bought the Ford super duty because it can tow over 30,000 lb, I currently tow an 8,000 lb trailer but you never know"

What I meant by "like", is that all the major trucks are "liked", there is nothing really wrong with any of them. So that's a base line, I like the big 3 the most by far and would happy with either one of them.

But what pulls people into the Titan over an F150 (for example)? What's there to like about the Titan that the others can't provide? Because when you ask the question in reverse: what's there to like about the F150 that you can't find in the Titan, the answer is much more clear. That's the problem as I see it. The Titan doesn't offer anything to draw a buyer in unless they're already a Nissan brand fan.

Back