2023 Camry Hybrid, First OC, change filter too?

This is all pretty hysterical.
As I have noted, I have well over 250k on the odo on this same motor but without the detuned hybrid stuff (it makes like 50hp less in the hybrid) and beat the snot out of it. The engine runs fine on 5-10k oil changes using 16 weight. No break in oil bs. No early changes. nothing out of warranty. Its a TOYOTA. If it fails by doing "normal things" then you got a lemon is practically a rule. How many people have you read about that change their toyota oil once every 30k+ miles and they still run longer than 99% of other cars?
And I am not the only one, there are those who do exclusively dealer recommended services and go 300+

Cease disparaging the borough of my birth. The 'fell off a truck' expression alone is offensive to many.
Only the most low life, dog's dirt of slobs touches stolen stuff.

I'm not saying crime doesn't exist there.
As Morty Seinfeld once said: "Oooooh, do you think maybe it's HOT? Atta boy, Jerry!"

I have cut the factory filter on every new vehicle I have owned. I always find a load of machining metal flakes. My opinion is to change the filter.

Can you cut yours when you do change it and post some pictures?
Machining "flakes" are unlikely to plug the filter unless there are an awful lot of them.

Machining "flakes" are unlikely to plug the filter unless there are an awful lot of them.
You are correct. I meant like this:

... Especially considering that the "cvt" in the hybrid is NOT a transmission, it is a coupler between the electric motor and the engine, that is it. Watch weber auto's tear downs of these. They are are simple as a coupler and torque converter system can get, which is why I probably wouldn't bother spending the time/money to change the little fluid that it has. ...
They're mechanically relatively simple, but not THAT simple. There's a planetary gearset, final-drive gears, differential gearing, a few other gears (which vary with model and generation), and several bearings, all of which need clean oil. There's no torque converter.

Or any data to point that early change outs like this have any impact on engine longevity or performance.
I'd say the exact same thing, and almost in the same words. The OEM filter is good enough to catch any "swarf" and therefore prevent any damage.

However, this is not a urine distance contest. I'd simply state that there are times where it is nice to "ensure" any potential debris or contamination is removed. Knowing my luck, I'd be the guy who had to run to work in a hurry, during a freak cold spell, the oil filter bypass would open and allow some grit into the main bearings and I'd be that guy who's engine eventually had a fault. An early oil change may not solve any problem. But it can, at times, eliminate the potential for one.

Last edited:
I did an oil and filter change at 1000 miles on my 2023 Camry. Plan on another at 2500, 5000, then every 5000 thereafter. Worth it IMO if keeping a vehicle long term.

I did an oil and filter change at 1000 miles on my 2023 Camry. Plan on another at 2500, 5000, then every 5000 thereafter. Worth it IMO if keeping a vehicle long term.
Only 1000? Unless you do it at 10, 65, 247 kiss that long term goodbye!

You are correct. I meant like this:

Personally I would want that stuff out of there.

Unfortunately you are now trapped in Bob’s Paradox… This is when one is able to perform the quite coveted and highly touted “early dump” in order to achieve maximal engine longevity. But this also requires the purchase of a brand new vehicle which is known to be a decision that is ostracized and ridiculed by the community.

I say leave it alone and do it all at 5K miles

Back