2022 Toyota Tundra

I was waiting for the first comment about those LED lights with high beam plus LED fog lights in the bumper plus the LED light bar built into the grill plus those LED clearance lights that tell everyone how big you are.

This thing is going to irk a ton of sedan drivers at night.

Toyota "out-grilled" themselves on this new design! They are not the only manufacturer that has adopted this ridiculous styling trend (one that I dislike). I'm waiting for tail fins to come back.

full-45905-37490-m5rfx6h6pxj21.jpg
It might happen before that.

Probably best to allow some years between now and then, for the return of the 1986 Ford Taurus grilleless look to come back into vogue.

Years ago, like back about 1960, Mad Magazine did a story about what the cars of the future would look like, based on the trends of the time. Tail fins would grow until they morphed into wings, etc, and cars would suddenly be able to fly. The funniest one however was the increasing use of chrome.... Manufacturers would make more and more chrome trim year after year, soon becoming 50/50 chrome and paint, then chrome would become more predominant than paint. Eventually cars would be all chrome! And at that point, some brave manufacturer would introduce the groundbreaking new feature, paint trim!

Probably saving that as a future option package upgrade for consumers to buy in addition to the TRD Pro.
One thing Toyota has made clear is they aren't going to really try and compete for more market share but trying to match other trucks. Swears was just interviewed and came right out and said he told his engineers not to chase payload and towing numbers from other manufacturers. This seems to also be true as far as features. You don't let a truck languish in purgatory for over a decade with no major upgrades hoping that towards the end of it's lifecycle it will miraculously start gaining significant market share. This also goes with expectations for future features - what you see is what it will be until some time in +2030. I think they are perfectly happy occupying the little niche they are in right now.

One thing Toyota has made clear is they aren't going to really try and compete for more market share but trying to match other trucks. Swears was just interviewed and came right out and said he told his engineers not to chase payload and towing numbers from other manufacturers. This seems to also be true as far as features. You don't let a truck languish in purgatory for over a decade with no major upgrades hoping that towards the end of it's lifecycle it will miraculously start gaining significant market share. This also goes with expectations for future features - what you see is what it will be until some time in +2030. I think they are perfectly happy occupying the little niche they are in right now.
The unmentioned factor is they don't even have the production capability to be begin to touch the "big three".

Agreed. My ecoboost will tow my travel trailer up any grade ive hit at 70 mph doing 3500rpm at part throttle. And thats at 7000’ and its the old 420 ft-lbs first gen with a measly old 6 speed. It would probably do it at a lower rpm if i had more gears like the 10 speed.
My 5.3 will tow up the same grade-at 55mph at any ambient temperature and not over heat.

The unmentioned factor is they don't even have the production capability to be begin to touch the "big three".
I'm sure they could ramp up production if the demand was there but for some reason they seem to be happy selling their ~130k trucks and they don't really seem to be looking for more.

I'm sure they could ramp up production if the demand was there but for some reason they seem to be happy selling their ~130k trucks and they don't really seem to be looking for more.

The Tundra is small potatoes in the total numbers sold globally. Toyota sold about 9.5 million vehicles in 2020.

they are willing to take a gamble. their premium vehicles have been flopping left and right

if it does not make money they will pull it

When Ford and GM 1/2 tons (TFL videos) can't tow even a fraction of their tow rating without overheating, what would they be competing with? Unrealistic numbers? It will be interesting to see if this Tundra can tow anywhere near it's tow rating, without overheating.

When Ford and GM 1/2 tons (TFL videos) can't tow even a fraction of their tow rating without overheating, what would they be competing with? Unrealistic numbers? It will be interesting to see if this Tundra can tow anywhere near it's tow rating, without overheating.
I don't know what TFL is doing wrong-but I have towed over the same mountain passes in the same conditions and my 2018 SIlverado was just fine. As a matter of fact I would argue my conditions are tougher, since my trailer is shaped like a brick and many times they use a trailer that has a "V" front. SO again, it's about finding the right RPMs, and letting the electronic transmission do it's thing. They were over revving that F150 in that test BTW.

I don't know what TFL is doing wrong-but I have towed over the same mountain passes in the same conditions and my 2018 SIlverado was just fine. As a matter of fact I would argue my conditions are tougher, since my trailer is shaped like a brick and many times they use a trailer that has a "V" front. SO again, it's about finding the right RPMs, and letting the electronic transmission do it's thing. They were over revving that F150 in that test BTW.

Are you saying that the factory rev-limiter was somehow exceeded during the test? I don't think so.

Furthermore, the truck was/is owned by the reviewer.

The Tundra is small potatoes in the total numbers sold globally. Toyota sold about 9.5 million vehicles in 2020.
...and small potatoes is the way they've treated it. Don't get me wrong...I own a 2020 and I love it. I'm their niche buyer - it's a glam truck that I love because it doesn't have stupid tech and it's simple. Too many people seem to think Toyota secretly wants to conquer the truck world and they have been waiting for the "world beater" truck to be released but when they instead released their niche truck, everyone seems disappointed. So far the Tundra has been a hobby and so far the new Tundra indicates it still is a hobby.

Are you saying that the factory rev-limiter was somehow exceeded during the test? I don't think so.

Furthermore, the truck was/is owned by the reviewer.
They had the truck in the wrong gear and over heated it. You can rev in the wrong gear when towing and not hit the limiter. I'm not a Ford owner-but I know plenty who have the Eco-boost, and pulling correctly they don't over heat. The truck being owned by the tester...so what. The Eco-boost is a proven motor-and they don't blow/overheat up like a few did in the beginning. If you don't tow anything-this conversation is a non-starter.

Last edited:
Maybe I use the wrong term. They had the truck in the wrong gear and over heated it. I'm not a Ford owner-but I know plenty who have the Eco-boost, and pulling correctly they don't over heat. The truck being owned by the tester...so what. The Eco-boost is a proven motor-and they don't blow/overheat up like a few did in the beginning. If you don't tow anything-this conversation is a non-starter.

It's an automatic transmission. They put it in drive, and the computer chooses the gear the transmission needs to be in for any given situation. If it doesn't, that's a failure of the power train engineers. Or the trucks capabilities are exaggerated by Ford.

Same as the GM which was towing just a bit more than half it's rated towing capacity, and the transmission overheated. Either there's a problem with the trucks, or the manufacturers are overstating the trucks capabilities.

Not that it matters. But I do have a pickup, which is used almost exclusively for towing.

They had the truck in the wrong gear and over heated it. You can rev in the wrong gear when towing and not hit the limiter. I'm not a Ford owner-but I know plenty who have the Eco-boost, and pulling correctly they don't over heat. The truck being owned by the tester...so what. The Eco-boost is a proven motor-and they don't blow/overheat up like a few did in the beginning. If you don't tow anything-this conversation is a non-starter.
Those guys at TFL do towing tests all the time and that constant 7% grade is pretty tough. Watch the video...what did they screw up?

Back