2022 Toyota Tundra

Yeah … the 1500 numbers are pushed into more cooling and that takes some grill
You know what I just noticed? There are no tow hooks on the Tundra...
what the heck is Toyota doing with those ridiculus looking grilles
Clearly grinning at you 😁
The styling seems to combine Silverado and Tacoma.

Other than the grill, its not a bad looking truck.
It really does look like a full size Tacoma.

Reactions: 4WD
Until it derates while towing. Waiting on the TFLtruck Gauntlet.
And if you don't use it for real work, it bocomes a "who has the biggest you know what".

I have a feeling this thing is gunna stay nice and cool. Even the current Tundra’s radiator dwarfs the 2021 F150’s(which is the same as the 2018+) and they use a mechanical cooling fan.

Thats the one big thing I hate about the F150 Ecoboost is that they stuck a mediocre cooling system in there. Its not impossible to cool an Ecoboost, it just directly conflicts with the endless quest for MPG.

I have a feeling this thing is gunna stay nice and cool. Even the current Tundra’s radiator dwarfs the 2021 F150’s(which is the same as the 2018+) and they use a mechanical cooling fan.

Thats the one big thing I hate about the F150 Ecoboost is that they stuck a mediocre cooling system in there. Its not impossible to cool an Ecoboost, it just directly conflicts with the endless quest for MPG.
Looks like the Toy engineers are onto something by not using a radiator or any transmission cooler, keeps radiator heat loads down. At least on the current Tundra.
/s

I'm going to throw it out there that radiator capacity isn't the biggest cooling limitation.
How quickly can you remove heat from the combustion chamber is the biggest limiting factor.
3 ways, more coolant flow, more fuel, or derating the engine when temp limits are hit.
Given the V6 has smaller available area for cooling, with more power, thinking more fuel and derate become more in play.

Agreed. TRD Pro should have come with a 2" lift, larger tires, and a front locker. Basically a ZR2/Raptor competitor. It's basically an appearance package with shocks. Also, lots of truck guys want a V8. Should have kept the 5.7 as an option. They should have just made the Tundra a 1500HD and found their niche instead of compete with Ford and Chevy.

Almost seems like this truck was meant for 2015-2018 and then was shoved under a desk until they decided to finish it. Doesn't seem like a current year truck. but an old model that got a refresh. I'm disappointed. No V8, no ZR2 competitor, and sure to come with a high price.

Probably saving that as a future option package upgrade for consumers to buy in addition to the TRD Pro.

Yikes that is really ugly.

But still better than most of the other trucks out there, I’d probably pick it over one of the domestics. Can’t see the outside when you’re behind the wheel :ROFLMAO:

Do you need a stepstool to reach the oil dipstick? Or the radiator cap for that matter....
Making the 1/2 tons look like 1 ton medium duty commercial trucks was a smart marketing move,
but a moronic design and engineering choice for the morons that go for it.

Looka Me! I'm a long haul trucker! Honk - Honk!

Ri-dag-nab-diculous

BMW: look at those grills on Toyota/Lexus. We need to do something about it. Boom:M3.
Toyota: hold my beer.
BMW wanted grills like that … but since they always do two … they stuck out past the fenders 😷

Looks like the Toy engineers are onto something by not using a radiator or any transmission cooler, keeps radiator heat loads down. At least on the current Tundra.
/s

I'm going to throw it out there that radiator capacity isn't the biggest cooling limitation.
How quickly can you remove heat from the combustion chamber is the biggest limiting factor.
3 ways, more coolant flow, more fuel, or derating the engine when temp limits are hit.
Given the V6 has smaller available area for cooling, with more power, thinking more fuel and derate become more in play.

Apparently that is not the only issue though(cooling the combustion chamber) because its not impossible to keep the Ecoboost cool. we have guys who have installed the Mishimoto aftermarket radiators and that pushes them over the edge to where the engine stays cool and is not in danger of de-rating and can pull whatever they want wherever they want

Fueling could certainly come into play. The ecoboost tends to richen up more to reduce EGT's than coolant temps though. I tune my own truck with HPTuners and am not aware of any coolant temp related enrichment.

BTW, the Ecoboost doesnt derate until 250 degree coolant temps or so. It's not like it starts to derate at 220F gradually. Mine will pull like a freight train all the way into the 240's and I have to use my right foot to keep things under control. If they put in a cooling system that was capable of keeping the engine at 230F max, then this would never be an issue at all, and that is possible. Again, the guys with Mish radiators on the 2018+ trucks are able to keep their coolant temps below 230 in basically all conditions.

Not enough Payload for what I do, but the numbers are impressive.
Looks are subjective, I think it has the big grill for cooling. It is going to have to suck in some air when it is running high in the RPMs while towing.
Highly doubt it will run high Rpms. The Ecoboost destroy most of its V8 competition towing heavy while revving less.

Highly doubt it will run high Rpms. The Ecoboost destroy most of its V8 competition towing heavy while revving less.
Agreed. My ecoboost will tow my travel trailer up any grade ive hit at 70 mph doing 3500rpm at part throttle. And thats at 7000’ and its the old 420 ft-lbs first gen with a measly old 6 speed. It would probably do it at a lower rpm if i had more gears like the 10 speed.

I like it. The looks are subjective I suppose but I don't mind them. Similar engine tech to the EcoBoost but presumably with Toyota reliability sounds like a win to me.

Reactions: wdn
Making the 1/2 tons look like 1 ton medium duty commercial trucks was a smart marketing move,
but a moronic design and engineering choice for the morons that go for it.

Ri-dag-nab-diculous
Your Eco-Sport certainly isn't one of the best looking vehicles on the market.....

ARCOgraphite said:
Making the 1/2 tons look like 1 ton medium duty commercial trucks was a smart marketing move, but a moronic design and engineering choice for the morons that go for it.

Ri-dag-nab-diculous

Your Eco-Sport certainly isn't one of the best looking vehicles on the market.....
Yo mama is so ugly that ...

BMW: look at those grills on Toyota/Lexus. We need to do something about it. Boom:M3.
Toyota: hold my beer.
Toyota "out-grilled" themselves on this new design! They are not the only manufacturer that has adopted this ridiculous styling trend (one that I dislike). I'm waiting for tail fins to come back.

full-45905-37490-m5rfx6h6pxj21.jpg

But its just stupid looking not ugly. And I can buy three of them for the price of the Toyota.

And it's AWD and it goes in the snow and it has a powerful engine and a really good sounding base stereo.
Too bad, that the poor gas mileage is the most embarrassing thing about it. Poorly implemented D.I strikes again!

In reply to most of you in this thread:

Yes, grill is too much, like most trucks now.

Waiting for your current Tundra to wear out to buy one is never gonna happen. The old ones might outlast you! Buy a new one if you want the luxury and let somebody else take your 30 year old truck to half a million miles.

Back