2022 Toyota Tundra

Bolstering the case that there is a (growing) market for BoF vehicles - the Lexus GX was introduced in its current form in 2010 and it had its best year as far as sales last year selling 2.5x more GXs in 2020 compared to 2011.

No body makes a BOF mid-sized SUV anymore except Toyota. There are a million and one BOF truck options in various size though, which means Toyota doesn't get free reign on that market.

Why GM and Ford have not brought in their Everest and Colorado SUV's from overseas is mysterious to me.

No body makes a BOF mid-sized SUV anymore except Toyota. There are a million and one BOF truck options in various size though, which means Toyota doesn't get free reign on that market.

Why GM and Ford have not brought in their Everest and Colorado SUV's from overseas is mysterious to me.

Meanwhile-that 2022 Tundra sounds pretty awesome at full throttle!

while the large grill may be a design trend, it is also required. manufacturers are under pressure from regulatory agencies to lower emissions as much as possible. the larger grill allows them to control engine temperatures more precisely. when you can control engine temperatures down to the degree, you can run them hotter to achieve better combustion and thus lower emissions.

Looks fine to me, minus the gigantic screen that for some reason everyone feels is necessary now.
Yeah, me either. I just don’t like the direction Toyota’s headed with interior design, guess I’m getting old. I think those vents are hideous, bulky, and distracting.

Those are specific to Southeast Asia and Australia/NZ. but with the demise of Holden and GM no longer working with Isuzu it doesn’t make sense for GM to ship the tooling from Thailand to build it here in the US. The current Ranger does share some but not most of its DNA with the Ford/Mazda model sold in Thailand/Australia/Philippines.

I think Toyota tamped down their expectations with the new Tundra and made it more of a luxury car - and aiming for luxury car owners who might have the Lexus or Mercedes in the garage but don’t want to ruin wifey’s/the family car to make a Home Depot or Costco run. The TRD Sport/Off-Road editions are there to bring the bros into the dealership to upgrade from a Tacoma. Yes, I know there’s a Platinum trim of the F-Series and the High Country/Denali trims of the GM trucks which very quickly enters Audi/BMW/Mercedes/Range Rover pricing.

At the same time, Toyota hasn’t changed the recipe for the 4Runner/Land Cruiser(and its Lexus sisters) and except for the newest LC 300 Series which never made it to US shores, still sells despite the onslaught of car-based CUVs(and their own Highlander, which is a Sienna in a less soccer mommy/plebeian body). The new Tundra is built off the same platform as the Land Cruiser 300 series, a BOF variant of TNGA-L.

Last edited:
Those are specific to Southeast Asia and Australia/NZ. but with the demise of Holden and GM no longer working with Isuzu it doesn’t make sense for GM to ship the tooling from Thailand to build it here in the US. The current Ranger does share some but not most of its DNA with the Ford/Mazda model sold in Thailand/Australia/Philippines.

And this changed too. As of 2020 the Mazda pickup is built by Isuzu.

And this changed too. As of 2020 the Mazda pickup is built by Isuzu.

Actually makes sense - and it benefits both Mazda and Isuzu logistically while not taking up more resources from Toyota(who has stakes in both but more so with Mazda) and avoids a renamed Hilux.

I think Ford and Mazda’s tie-up in Thailand(AutoAlliance) was the groundwork for the same partnership in the US that gave us the Probe/MX-6 and the US-built 626 as well as Mazda being able to rebrand the Ranger/Escape/Edge as the B-series/Tribute/CX-9.

Actually makes sense - and it benefits both Mazda and Isuzu logistically while not taking up more resources from Toyota(who has stakes in both but more so with Mazda) and avoids a renamed Hilux.

I think Ford and Mazda’s tie-up in Thailand(AutoAlliance) was the groundwork for the same partnership in the US that gave us the Probe/MX-6 and the US-built 626 as well as Mazda being able to rebrand the Ranger/Escape/Edge as the B-series/Tribute/CX-9.

I agree. Their main market is in Asia where small trucks are still selling well. This gives them the instant product into those markets and stays within the Toyota family.

Back