2022 Toyota Tundra 3.5 iForce Oil Selection

Jordan_FX4

$50 Site Donor 2022
Hey all, I just bought a ‘22 Tundra with the 3.5 twin turbo iForce engine and was wondering what others have been running in this engine? Right now it has fresh dealer bulk oil in it, presumably Kendall 0W-20 as that’s been their bulk oil for years. I’m leaning towards running 5W-30/0W-30 of some flavor, but unsure of OCI and filter choice. Any and all thoughts and recommendations appreciated!

Hey all, I just bought a ‘22 Tundra with the 3.5 twin turbo iForce engine and was wondering what others have been running in this engine? Right now it has fresh dealer bulk oil in it, presumably Kendall 0W-20 as that’s been their bulk oil for years. I’m leaning towards running 5W-30/0W-30 of some flavor, but unsure of OCI and filter choice. Any and all thoughts and recommendations appreciated!
Run Euro oils, Mobil1 ESP 0W30 or preferrably 5W30, pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30. Both available in Wal Mart, PPE L for sure.

Critic, hopefully that can be prevented, or if it does happen hopefully it’s still under warranty. This is the first vehicle that I’ve ever taken out the extended warranty on. Between the twin turbo v6 and all the other gadgetry it didn’t seem like such a bad choice.

Not sure if any oil will keep some of them from spinning rod bearings. 😳
Wasn't that due to a manufacturing defect - I thought I read that somewhere it had to do with the oil passage for the rod bearing near the front of the engine and/or the bearings themselves? I have no doubt Toyota will/has figured it out since this engine is being placed in so many vehicles and I know no manufacturer is perfect but that had to be a horrible experience for the early adopters. I agree too that oil selection isn't likely to make up for a manufacturing defect.

Wasn't that due to a manufacturing defect - I thought I read that somewhere it had to do with the oil passage for the rod bearing near the front of the engine and/or the bearings themselves? I have no doubt Toyota will/has figured it out since this engine is being placed in so many vehicles and I know no manufacturer is perfect but that had to be a horrible experience for the early adopters. I agree too that oil selection isn't likely to make up for a manufacturing defect.
Add to that crappy wastegate that is located in such place that body has to be lifted from frame.

Lol. I know one thing, there is Euro brand that makes engines for Toyota, and vehicle, not other way around.
But hey, as long as there is sheep, there will be wool.
Purely anecdotal but everyone I know with a Mercedes and VW has a nonstop issues. Overrated.

But hey, as long as there is sheep, there will be wool.
I heard this saying before. Funny enough it came from a shop owner who specializes in Euro cars, mainly VW, Audi, and Porsche. Needless to say - he's well off in life financially.
Can't say the same about many Toyota/Lexus specialty shops...
In fact - Local Honda/Acura shop had to change its name to attract more customers from other brands too, because not enough Honda/Acura vehicles need much service outside of regular maintenance. He still mostly specializes in H/A, but will do small jobs on other brands now, to keep the lights on in his three lift shop. And that's a top rated shop btw, he does better work than the local Honda Dealerships, only with OEM parts, and at lower cost.

Not bashing anyone, just sharing some factual memories.

Last edited:
I heard this saying before. Funny enough it came from a shop owner who specializes in Euro cars, mainly VW, Audi, and Porsche. Needless to say - he's well off in life financially.
Can't say the same about many Toyota/Lexus specialty shops... In fact - Local Honda/Acura shop had to change it's name to attract more customers, because not enough Honda/Acura vehicles need much service outside of regular maintenance. He still mostly specializes in those brands, but will do small jobs on other brands now, to keep the lights on in his three lift shop.
It started with bearing and wastgate, and evolved: how I am going to make myself feel better.
Listen, when they separate body from frame, you can always take solace in the fact that my VW will need new water pump around 80k. No arguing there.

It started with bearing and wastgate, and evolved: how I am going to make myself feel better.
Listen, when they separate body from frame, you can always take solace in the fact that my VW will need new water pump around 80k. No arguing there.
Like I said: just sharing some factual memories.

@Jordan_FX4 I support the following recommendations for your new truck:
Run Euro oils, Mobil1 ESP 0W30 or preferrably 5W30, pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30. Both available in Wal Mart, PPE L for sure.
And congrats! 🎉

Back