2022 Subaru Crosstrek 1st Oil Change Very High Silicon

Yeah, yeah I know it is complete overkill but I'm OCD and I dumped the oil in my brand new 2022 Subaru Crosstrek at 924 miles. Pretty much the end of the 1000mi "break in" period, which was followed precisely. I've never owned a new Subaru, but I've owned other new vehicles and have never seen this insane amount of silicon in the first oil change of a new engine. Maybe the engine assembler went a little crazy on the sealant? Lol. Doesn't appear that Blackstone is too concerned though. I re-filled with Schaeffer's Series 9000 0W-20 oil that I had laying around and threw on a Purolator Boss oil filter for good measure. The blue Subaru OEM filters are garbage. I think I'll do another oil dump in 2000mi. I know, I'm wasting money! I'm just hoping the super high silicon and high copper improve with the next analysis.
14DC4C38-5F2F-4589-A971-F05598500B0C.jpeg

Hmmm!
Yup, lots of Moly but that too could be the assembly lubes as well inside of a new engine.
Lots of Silicon too but, IDK either about Suby engines. Do they have more gaskets required due to the boxer/flathead design?
Almost 1000ppm of Zinc too. A really robust oil in some areas with a decent amount of Boron. I like lots of Boron for some reason(~200ppm) but I couldn't tell anyone as to why I like it.

So that's why the highways around here (Indiana, US home of Subie production) are lined with dead cars. /sarc
Subaru uses them so all the engines blow up and they have to replace them under warranty. There is nothing at all wrong with Subaru blue filters, some people get their knickers in a twist about fiber end caps for no good reason, they work fine.

So that's why the highways around here (Indiana, US home of Subie production) are lined with dead cars. /sarc
Do you poll the State troopers regularly for numbers? Which car is lining the road? I hear that most cars 'give up the ghost' just after they exit the highway, so you may be looking in the wrong place for your "data".

The Subaru Fram is not "garbage" but its not great either. A similar (not same) Fram filter is the stateside service part for Honda also, though the Honda has a different ADBV made from Silicone polymer where the Subaru part is Buna-n. The OP's car came with the excellent (Toyo) Roki made Subaru Japan Filter. Seems like we can only get that p/n for the EJ257

Yeah, yeah I know it is complete overkill but I'm OCD and I dumped the oil in my brand new 2022 Subaru Crosstrek at 924 miles. Pretty much the end of the 1000mi "break in" period, which was followed precisely. ... I'm just hoping the super high silicon and high copper improve with the next analysis.
I would double check the airbox to make sure its closed properly but it is most likely sealant leaching on the front cover and block halves.
You didn't put a cone filter kit on I hope?

Subaru as stock already have good cold air induction. Good luck

I am curious how many miles you plan on going between oil changes? I keep hearing about newer engines having problems with extended oil change intervals. what Subari recommends and what you plan on doing.

I can't figure out why people waste the time on an analysis on an engine that is not broken in and has all kinds of assembly and break in debris present in the engine.
I am about to do it in 200 miles once the rebuilt engine has 1K on it. the reason is simple looking for coolant and fuel, if it does have any with these it can be addressed before engine damage occurs. Even new engines can have a manufacturing error or defective parts like a fuel injector.
IMO it is good preventive maintenance and establishes a base line for this engine.

I am curious how many miles you plan on going between oil changes? I keep hearing about newer engines having problems with extended oil change intervals. what Subari recommends and what you plan on doing.
They recommend 6 but I always go 5.

I would double check the airbox to make sure its closed properly but it is most likely sealant leaching on the front cover and block halves.
You didn't put a cone filter kit on I hope?

Subaru as stock already have good cold air induction. Good luck
Nope, other than the rev hang delete tuning, which is a game changer for the 6 speed manual trans that I have, and a Pedal Commander (also a game changer)this car will remain stock.

I can't figure out why people waste the time on an analysis on an engine that is not broken in and has all kinds of assembly and break in debris present in the engine.
No time at all to sample and I like wasting money so to each their own, right?

Back