2022 Renault Kwid - I didn't know you could still buy a car this basic

Attachments

• 22A09BB2-7BB5-42A1-BF5E-267EC3685D0D.jpeg
    22A09BB2-7BB5-42A1-BF5E-267EC3685D0D.jpeg
    621.2 KB · Views: 22
  • F2058F07-AA61-478A-9345-0F9ADB615CBF.jpeg
    F2058F07-AA61-478A-9345-0F9ADB615CBF.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 20
Sounds like a cab I once got in Toronto. Clapped out interior and shook something awful on the freeway. I had my doubts whether we'd even make it to the airport. Someone was getting every last bit of goodness out of that one.
I lived in Calgary, AB in the 90's, and the most depressing thing related to the business trips I'd take was riding in decrepit Chevy Impala cabs from Calgary International to home... seats that wouldn't even hold you square with the world (with failed supports), etc...

Ur right, but they thwart attempts to get home without clutch control, hehe...

And in the case of a certain 1998 Nissan Frontier that I own, the little rubber piece in the clutch pedal lever that pushes the interlock switch plunger down breaks and falls out, so it won't start. Took me a couple of minutes to figure out what happened, then I got it started by pushing the plunger and turning the key at the same time. Fixed it with a "Dorman rubber bumper".

This is actually an endearing little car, the more I drive it the more I like it. Android Auto is a nice touch in such a cheap car, even if the resolution is low. It turns over 4k at 75 MPG in 5th gear :oops:, it only has one floor mat and it's bolted to the bottom of the seat! Also, the cable for the hatch release is just taped to the floor...:ROFLMAO:

nVdhQFK.jpg

wcFO6Fk.jpg

wsVkigK.jpg

Uuhv1E3.jpg

efX7abJ.jpg

You must be out of the country right now? That would be super cool getting a manual rental car. Definitely an interesting car to say the least by interesting I mean interesting looking. Don’t know if I could stand shifting left handed though.
I adapted fine during our year in New Zealand - but I'm a southpaw, so perhaps that helped.

I test-drove a Mitsu van with a 5-speed column shift - that was different. I liked it, but my wife said No.

You WANT these cars on the market. More choices creates downward pressure on the prices of alternatives.
A perfect car for many though a semi's lug nuts 9" from your ear can be disconcerting.

Re right hand drive and left hand shifting: I was AMAZED how immediately I adapted to both......then I hit that lady in Australia!

Drove all over Sweden in a 3 cyl. Subaru. It worked. As I recall it was a J-10 (or some such); I assume it would've been a Justy in No. America.

The saddest part of India making wee cars is that mankind needs more public transportation not more traffic.

This is actually an endearing little car, the more I drive it the more I like it. Android Auto is a nice touch in such a cheap car, even if the resolution is low. It turns over 4k at 75 MPG in 5th gear :oops:, it only has one floor mat and it's bolted to the bottom of the seat! Also, the cable for the hatch release is just taped to the floor...:ROFLMAO:

nVdhQFK.jpg

wcFO6Fk.jpg

wsVkigK.jpg

Uuhv1E3.jpg

efX7abJ.jpg
You have to unbolt the seat to remove the floor mat? I wonder if that is a fleet vehicle designation so renters are less likely to steal the mat.

It's important to not think of this as being a replacement for all vehicles. Many of us have more than 1 vehicle. Do we really need 2 very similar or even identical vehicles?

For my family the Tesla is the perfect local car - and maybe a good road car too - we'll see.

We also have the Accord. It's a perfect back up car. And the extra car on those days when we need more than 1 car. Also a great car for hauling Xmas trees and other debris generating cargo. And if the Tesla isn't good on long trips the Accord will resume duties as the family road car.

We don't need a 3rd vehicle now but if we had a teenager at home (with the inevitable debate over who is driving what today) a car like this might be just the thing. I was poor during my student days and would have welcomed a cheap, reliable and fun to drive car. And some of our neighbours are older and past the point of enjoying driving and now only own a low cost grocery getter.

For many families something like this would be an excellent third, second or even first car.

The saddest part of India making wee cars is that mankind needs more public transportation not more traffic.

That would depend on the public you have to share with. Places like Japan which are civilized have excellent mass transit. Places like the US, well I will just say that nobody wants the adventure that will follow. Passengers smoking meth and shooting up on buses has pushed the normal passenger back to their automobile. Then you have the criminal elements.

Maybe someday.

Back