2022 KIA Soul 2.0 Choice of Oil & OCI

I have posted this before about my sons 2014 KIA Rio. Not the same engine, it has the 1.6L Gamma, however, similar issues have been seen with the 2.0's.

I take very good care of my vehicles. The KIA had everything done to it, IAW manual, even more so. IMO and experience, it was not enough, which means to me it's a manufacturing/engineering issue with these engines. Car is still running at 130K but uses oil like nobody's business. No reason that should have happened with proper care, which it has had.

Oil changes were mostly full synthetic every 5K, without fail. ST, Valvoline, Havoline, QS, whatever was on sale at the time. Mostly 5W-30. A few times it got a blend of 5W-20 Conoco-Philips from KIA Dealership (factory fill and first FREE oil change.) Oil filters were either OEM, WIX GOLD, a couple Bosch and a few CHAMP Labs (COS line.) PCV valve changed at 60K and at 120K.)

Car ran great and never had a single problem up to 100K. Not even a drop of oil used. Always at full on dip stick.

After 100K, slowly started burning oil and got worse and worse. Now CAT has a code. Ran some cleaner through it and it cleared, but just a matter of time. My son can't afford another car right now, so trying to get it to last until next year.

I got my wife a 2019 Hyundai Tucson with 33K on it. Plan to get rid of that in about three years. Probably moving to a different manufacturer. MAZDA or Toyota probably.

Ironically, our Santa Fe with the OMG engines gonna blow 2.4L, went 160K without any issues (or oil usage.) Still bummed it got totaled. It was a great car.

I wish you all luck with these engines.

I have posted this before about my sons 2014 KIA Rio. Not the same engine, it has the 1.6L Gamma, however, similar issues have been seen with the 2.0's.

I take very good care of my vehicles. The KIA had everything done to it, IAW manual, even more so. IMO and experience, it was not enough, which means to me it's a manufacturing/engineering issue with these engines. Car is still running at 130K but uses oil like nobody's business. No reason that should have happened with proper care, which it has had.

Oil changes were mostly full synthetic every 5K, without fail. ST, Valvoline, Havoline, QS, whatever was on sale at the time. Mostly 5W-30. A few times it got a blend of 5W-20 Conoco-Philips from KIA Dealership (factory fill and first FREE oil change.) Oil filters were either OEM, WIX GOLD, a couple Bosch and a few CHAMP Labs (COS line.) PCV valve changed at 60K and at 120K.)

Car ran great and never had a single problem up to 100K. Not even a drop of oil used. Always at full on dip stick.

After 100K, slowly started burning oil and got worse and worse. Now CAT has a code. Ran some cleaner through it and it cleared, but just a matter of time. My son can't afford another car right now, so trying to get it to last until next year.

I got my wife a 2019 Hyundai Tucson with 33K on it. Plan to get rid of that in about three years. Probably moving to a different manufacturer. MAZDA or Toyota probably.

Ironically, our Santa Fe with the OMG engines gonna blow 2.4L, went 160K without any issues (or oil usage.) Still bummed it got totaled. It was a great car.

Maybe 🤞along with short O.C.s could help with longevity .

This is the kid's car and if I can get it to +130K miles I'm happy and even if it's junk at that point it has served it's purpose.

Now that I own a 2022 KIA Soul and I've read through various posts here and elsewhere and I've watched a number of Youtube videos I'm opening up the discussion on choice of oil. Normally, I read the owner's manual and just follow it and that works well with my Lexus and Toyota. Since there seems to be more going on with the Hyundai/KIA engines than normal what is the collective's thoughts on choice oil and OCI? Owner's manual calls for 0W-20 GF-6/SN+/SP with an OCI of 8K miles or 5miles under severe conditions. I'm running Castrol Edge EP 0W20 in the other two vehicles.
0w-20, 5w-20, 0w-30 or 5w-30 - all will work just fine, pick the brand and 'premium' level you are comfy with and go on with life.
I'd hate to fall into 'severe' condition and change oil every 5 miles thou ... LOL
Seriously, I'd change oil every 4k miles OR 150 hours engine running time OR one year, whichever comes first, be it synth or blend.

Last edited:
Do you intend to keep it past 100k? My recommendation is minimum 0w30 and preferably 0w40 with max 3750 OCI. I've seen several Souls with the 2.0l engine completely worn out using regular 5w20/0w20 at 100k.
I'm sure oil is a factor. However, those worn out examples could have been subject to jack rabbit starts and abuse on a daily basis for 100k miles?

There are V.O.A.s for the 4 Pennzoil oils at 7:14 . :rolleyes:
That’s not the test I’m referring to. I think you know that.

Besides, a VOA does not give you relative quality indications for an oil. But I did ask for technical reasons, so what are they? What is it in the VOA that would indicate that one oil is better than another?

0w-20, 5w-20, 0w-30 or 5w-30 - all will work just fine, pick the brand and 'premium' level you are comfy with and go on with life.
I'd hate to fall into 'severe' condition and change oil every 5 miles thou ... LOL
Seriously, I'd change oil every 4k miles OR 150 hours engine running time OR one year, whichever comes first, be it synth or blend.
Good strategy ! I did a UOA of QSUD 5W20 at 4,000 miles and 150 hours and the oil did not have much life left in it , so that became the standard OCI for me (now moved up to 5W30 though as I used the QSUD 5W20 as a "baseline" to see how the oil would perform in my Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine).

Not only applicable to Kia Soul.

Example, those who complain about oil consumption probably drive in a way that is very hard on the engine and drivetrain.
It would be interesting to see a test devised to see how true this was. Seems plausible though.

I don't think the Hyundai / KIA issues have anything to do with that (design issues is the culprit.)

Does anyone know if this car has a GPF? I've Googled and looked in the manual and there are no references. If I run M1 0W40 FS in it what are the issues as far as it being full SAPS?

Does anyone know if this car has a GPF? I've Googled and looked in the manual and there are no references. If I run M1 0W40 FS in it what are the issues as far as it being full SAPS?
No GPF, and M1 0W-40 won’t cause a problem unless the engine is burning oil.

Not only applicable to Kia Soul.

Example, those who complain about oil consumption probably drive in a way that is very hard on the engine and drivetrain.
When I see a car on the road putting out puffs of blue smoke in stop-and-go, quite often it's an aggressive driver.

When I see a car on the road putting out puffs of blue smoke in stop-and-go, quite often it's an aggressive driver.
There's nothing wrong with taking it to the red line ever once in a while, in hindsight it's actually beneficial for the motor in certain regards.

However, to preserve function and longevity of engine and transmission, common sense must be applied such as ensuring proper fluid levels, operating temperatures and not going hard on uphills for extended periods of time.

Often see drivers start their vehicles up, zero warm up followed by hard launch.

Back