2022 KIA Soul 2.0 Choice of Oil & OCI

Now that I own a 2022 KIA Soul and I've read through various posts here and elsewhere and I've watched a number of Youtube videos I'm opening up the discussion on choice of oil. Normally, I read the owner's manual and just follow it and that works well with my Lexus and Toyota. Since there seems to be more going on with the Hyundai/KIA engines than normal what is the collective's thoughts on choice oil and OCI? Owner's manual calls for 0W-20 GF-6/SN+/SP with an OCI of 8K miles or 5miles under severe conditions. I'm running Castrol Edge EP 0W20 in the other two vehicles.

Now that I own a 2022 KIA Soul and I've read through various posts here and elsewhere and I've watched a number of Youtube videos I'm opening up the discussion on choice of oil. Normally, I read the owner's manual and just follow it and that works well with my Lexus and Toyota. Since there seems to be more going on with the Hyundai/KIA engines than normal what is the collective's thoughts on choice oil and OCI? Owner's manual calls for 0W-20 GF-6/SN+/SP with an OCI of 8K miles or 5miles under severe conditions. I'm running Castrol Edge EP 0W20 in the other two vehicles.
For whatever reason (CAFE I assume) in 2022 Kia USA changed it to 0w20 with no other choices. In 2021 it said you could use 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 and it’s the same 2.0L Nu MPI engine (I think they renamed it to SmartStream G2.0). They also extended the oil change interval, up from 3750 severe and 7500 normal.

So if it was mine, I’d still use the 5w30 but for warranty reasons you might want to stick with what the book says, 0w20 and use the severe schedule 5000 mile OCI. The Castrol will be a fine choice for that engine.

Last edited:
I will say this. I owned a 2016 Kia Soul bought from new with 2.0 GDI engine. I followed the recommended OCI (7500 miles) using 0w-20 and the engine went full on poopy :poop: in it's pants @ 70k on the clock. Whatever oil you end up using I would go with the severe service interval.

The “test” that PF uses is not representative of the processes in a ICE, do not provide any useful information, and the guy making the video has no idea what he’s doing. Then he makes completely worthless conclusions based on useless data.

Is that good enough?
:rolleyes:

The “test” that PF uses is not representative of the processes in a ICE, do not provide any useful information, and the guy making the video has no idea what he’s doing. Then he makes completely worthless conclusions based on useless data.

Is that good enough?
I'm not sure what Immigration enforcement has to do with it, but his tests do show a difference between each of the oils (all subjected to same testing.) Has to mean something. Agree, probably not the be all that ends all, but I wouldn't say it's useless.

:rolleyes: (Me bracing for the onslaught that's to follow..........)

I'm not sure what Immigration enforcement has to do with it, but his tests do show a difference between each of the oils (all subjected to same testing.) Has to mean something. Agree, probably not the be all that ends all, but I wouldn't say it's useless.

:rolleyes: (Me bracing for the onslaught that's to follow..........)
No onslaught at all. What I mean by that is the data from that test isn’t being analyzed and presented properly even if it was a valid test for motor oils. When you do that correctly (as has been shown for another website that does similar tests) there is no statistical difference between any of the values he’s obtaining by the test. In other words they all test the same and show that the test is obtaining worthless results.

Running some test is only half the work. You must then properly analyze the results. He’s doing none of that. And if he did, his proper conclusion would be that there is no difference for any of the oils being tested. The ASTM analysis for gear oils (but only when using ASTM equipment and following the procedure verbatim) has a huge error tolerance. Here the error tolerance is even larger.

That’s only the first fatal problem. There are many others including the fact that this is not a representative test for motor oils. He’s also not using proper equipment even if it was a representative test. He’s also not running a statistically significant number of trials. The whole thing is a waste of time both for him and for those that watch the video. It truly means nothing and the idea that he’s obtaining meaningful results has no basis in reality.

Last edited:
Do you intend to keep it past 100k? My recommendation is minimum 0w30 and preferably 0w40 with max 3750 OCI. I've seen several Souls with the 2.0l engine completely worn out using regular 5w20/0w20 at 100k.

Do you intend to keep it past 100k? My recommendation is minimum 0w30 and preferably 0w40 with max 3750 OCI. I've seen several Souls with the 2.0l engine completely worn out using regular 5w20/0w20 at 100k.
My guess is I won't care too much about it by 100K miles which should be 8-10 years from now. I may just run 5W-30 Castrol Edge EP @ 5K mile OCI and as I come up to the end of the powertrain warranty dump it.

I just changed the oil at 1k miles yesterday and replaced it with Mobil 1 0W-40 and a Mobil 1 oil filter (I have OEMs on the way but this is all I could find in the short term).

As for warranty, I'm an ethical person but since I know 0W-40 changed at 5K miles intervals is never going to be the cause of engine failure and I always have plenty of 0W-20 receipts around from the other two vehicles, and I know if an engine failure occurs it is most likely because of how the engine was designed/manufactured, I have no problem keeping phony records. I'm going to stick to 5k OCIs and 0W-40. If KIA asks it's 0W20. If there is major engine work that needs to be done with this he Fumoto valve I can have the old oil out and 0W20 in the sump in under 5 mins.

My observation from yesterday, and this comes from my opinion that oil color doesn't mean squat or at least you can't tell what it means simply looking at it was, the Factory fill (I think it's Total) was black and there were a few small metal flecks at the bottom of the drain pan. This is a MPI engine and not a DI engine.

For whatever reason (CAFE I assume) in 2022 Kia USA changed it to 0w20 with no other choices. In 2021 it said you could use 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 and it’s the same 2.0L Nu MPI engine (I think they renamed it to SmartStream G2.0). They also extended the oil change interval, up from 3750 severe and 7500 normal.

So if it was mine, I’d still use the 5w30 but for warranty reasons you might want to stick with what the book says, 0w20 and use the severe schedule 5000 mile OCI. The Castrol will be a fine choice for that engine.
Wife has a new Kia Seltos with a MPI 2.0 Nu engine make in hers (I believe same as the Soul 2.0 ?) . I keep OCI's at 5K Miles / 6 months (whatever comes first) using a Fram Ultra #9688 oil Filter and any of the current D1 / Gen 3 SP rated 5W30 synthetic oils from WM .

As for warranty, I'm an ethical person but since I know 0W-40 changed at 5K miles intervals is never going to be the cause of engine failure and I always have plenty of 0W-20 receipts around from the other two vehicles, and I know if an engine failure occurs it is most likely because of how the engine was designed/manufactured, I have no problem keeping phony records.

>something went wrong<

Back