2022 GMC Hummer EV

After enough EV vehicles are out California will start regulating them by some method to force reduced electric use - life MPG but measured by volts or amps. Next be a Volt/Amp Guzzler tax lol
Well, California does have a power problem. It actually wouldn't surprise me if they had to do something like that, especially if their Governor's executive order stands that requires all new cars to be electric by the mid 2030s. They'll have to figure something out to meet the increasing demand.

Well, California does have a power problem. It actually wouldn't surprise me if they had to do something like that, especially if their Governor's executive order stands that requires all new cars to be electric by the mid 2030s. They'll have to figure something out to meet the increasing demand.
I can see it now. The wealthier neighborhoods arriving home at 5-6 pm. Their home A/C systems are blasting. A Level 2 tesla charge can use around 50 amps. A 5 ton A/C system nearly 30 amps. Add in the other little odds and ends in the home and the per household draw is intense. 80 amps of 240v is 19,200 watts. Sure, some people will be on time of day discounted power plans and they will charge at 3 am, but plenty will simply not care.

I can see it now. The wealthier neighborhoods arriving home at 5-6 pm. Their home A/C systems are blasting. A Level 2 tesla charge can use around 50 amps. A 5 ton A/C system nearly 30 amps. Add in the other little odds and ends in the home and the per household draw is intense. 80 amps of 240v is 19,200 watts. Sure, some people will be on time of day discounted power plans and they will charge at 3 am, but plenty will simply not care.
Really putting those coal-fired power plants in Utah and Arizona to good use.

Torque to the wheels is all that matters. EV's like the Bolt have smaller motors than previous models like the EV Spark. The Prius has been downsizing the electric motor actual torque. The electric motors can spin at very high rpm and are geared down. I saw this on that Weber guy's videos where he tears down ev transmissions. The man in the wheelchair. He gives a very complete run down on it. I never thought about it like that before, always thought the EV motor power was the factor to get more torque. Doesn't work like that in EVs. One Prius has an electric motor spinning up to 17,500 rpm. A Chevy Bolt has more torque to the wheels versus a Spark, but the Spark has a far more powerful electric motor. A gas engine is totally different.

Last edited:

Adam Kwiatkowski, GM executive chief engineer, Global Electric Propulsion): "This is the first truck that we have ever designed around an EV propulsion system. Designing the truck and the propulsion system together enhances HUMMER EV’s unique performance capabilities, while also making this the stiffest truck GM has ever built."
The 24-module Ultium battery pack and three-motor Ultium Drive system will provide this all-electric supertruck best-in-class power output.

Ultium batteries are large-format, pouch-style cells which can be stacked vertically or horizontally inside the battery pack. In the Edition 1 HUMMER EV, two layers of vertical cell modules will be used to produce a combined 24-module pack offering a GM-estimated range of 350+ miles.

Edition 1’s three electric drive motors within Ultium Drive will yield a combined GM-estimated 1,000 horsepower, and when multiplied through the front and rear drive unit gear ratios, there will be more than a GM-estimated 11,500 lb-ft (15,600 N·m) of torque available at the wheels.

The single-motor front drive unit will have a 13.3:1 fixed gear ratio and will offer an electronic lockable differential, capable of delivering up to 100 percent of the motor torque to one wheel, in case traction is lost on the opposite wheel. All four wheels can be fully synchronized for true e4WD propulsion.

Two rear motors contained in one Ultium Drive unit will independently power the rear wheels through a fixed gear ratio of 10.5:1, with the capability of varying torque output to each wheel to optimize traction in off-road driving and highway-driving conditions. Motor output can also be synchronized to simulate a locking differential.

it reminds me of some other look.

man, I’m not a grid-is-falling guy as we simply don’t have grid issues around here (tva), but yes if the EVs all go supersize, then pulling 6kw all night long every night in every home plus running hvac, if there are rolling brownouts, folks may wake up to incomplete charges.

the curb weight will be what, 6500? 3/4 ton territory? Gonna be many cracked 20s!

watched the video. I can’t figure out the design language, but I do like the glass roof and rather industrial ceiling hardware, but the dash is a mess. Is it a truck? Is it a luxury vehicle? I doubt the moon terrain makes it to production. repetitive H branding throughout? Did they hire some fiat/Jeep designers? Admittedly I loathe that. I don’t buy a vehicle for a brand, so advertising the branding in every nook is not appealing to me. Maybe a 9 year old…

they mask the batteries well… I guess they are at frame altitude, which also keeps the CG low. don’t drive through moderate water. Interesting ingenuity too. 4 wheel crab option? Interstate lane changes? But not traditional 4 wheel steering where it might make sense (or did I miss that). Dang there’s a lot of complexity. BUT, they may need to push these feature-rich test beds out to market in order to make the profits needed to develop affordable, mainstream production. Looks like the engineers got to play, some, at least.

if the curb weight is true, I don’t want to get hit by one. My DD is 3600 lbs. my pickup is around 4600 I believe.

/ramble off

Last edited:
Back