2022 Ford Maverick

Ford will sell a lot of these, unfortunately that magic "$20,000" will be hard to come by once dealers have stock. The reality is the maverick is the most truck 90% of the public might need. Even at $25,000 for an xlt hybrid fwd truck the value is there, heck economy cars are $20+ now.

What is funny is they have used the Maverick name in Europe for what is known in the US and Canada as the Escape.
the First Gen Escape (2001-2005) was badged as a maverick in Europe and China. (also rebadged as the Mazda Tribute)
The 3rd and 4th Gen Escapes(2013+) are European Designed Ford Kuga's(2nd and 3rd Gen)

Have you ever tried to pull a boat out of the water on a wet ramp with FWD? Not fun.
Ever try to back up a snowy hill in a RWD pickup? No fun either.

After getting rid of my 4WD pickup I’m not looking forward to this winter. :(

real snow tires are much better than all season but winter tires 4 are recommended + some weight in the box-cargo area worked for years driving classic enjoyable RWD cars!! some sort of limited slip rear helps a lot as well, bought a new in 72 chevy nova 3 spd manual with posi $2700 was GREAT in snow even with only narrow all season but winter tires!!

Ever try to back up a snowy hill in a RWD pickup? No fun either.
After getting rid of my 4WD pickup I’m not looking forward to this winter. :(

My Yaris wouldn't go anywhere in the snow. Got a set of cheap aggressive snow tires and the thing was a snow bunny!
Better than the wife's Forester AWD at the time with those slippery factory Bridgestones on it!

firestonewinterforce.jpg

Last edited:
I am sure it will appeal to urban/suburbanites who occasionally need the utility of a pickup bed but don't need or want a bed on frame pickup truck. The base price of the FWD Hybrid is appealing but FWD in a truck is a non-starter for me. Any towing/hauling unloads the front drive wheels. Have you ever tried to pull a boat out of the water on a wet ramp with FWD? Not fun.
Anyone who buys a fwd hybrid with the intent of towing bought the wrong vehicle. If you're going to tow with a Maverick you should at least get AWD and the tow package.

My Yaris wouldn't go anywhere in the snow. Got a set of cheap aggressive snow tires and the thing was a snow bunny!
Better than the wife's Forester AWD at the time with those slippery factory Bridgestones on it!
In my experience a set of good winter tires takes the ECHO/Yaris in snow from "treacherous" to "somewhat better". It's the first car I've owned where it wasn't even a consideration to drive it in winter with all-seasons.

Anyone who buys a fwd hybrid with the intent of towing bought the wrong vehicle. If you're going to tow with a Maverick you should at least get AWD and the tow package.
Agreed, but you know that someone who bought the base model will try to load it down with firewood or tow something with a 400 lb tongue weight at some point.

View attachment 64434
The Yaris 3 door hatch did very well in snow with the WS70s' . Wish they didn't drop those for the 80s' . Not all upgrades are for the better .

The T.C. and V.S.C. hopefully will help to stabilize the rear end in snow . Has to better than older P.U.s. with light bed and rear wheel drive .

View attachment 64434
I had snow tires on the truck. :) often I would have to flip on 4WD all the same. Give me some credit, I have lived here a couple decades.

good snows and my FWD would still get stuck.

I had snow tires on the truck. :) often I would have to flip on 4WD all the same. Give me some credit, I have lived here a couple decades.

good snows and my FWD would still get stuck.
I have always thought that unladen trucks were dangerous in the rain - and of course snow.
Thats why I always used to get a std cab / short bed to get the advantage of a short wheelbase.
Back when you could buy trucks NEW for $12-17K. Now they are a poseur lifestyle "fashion accessory"
My last V6 Silverado w/t 4WD "shortie" was more Jeep than Jeep! put a cap on, it and it was a legit K5 substitute..

This fall I intend to rent a U-Haul motorcycle trailer. My motorcycle with it associated junk is about 600 pounds. The trailer is 300-350 lb. IIRC. This is half of the tow rating on the FWD Maverick. The truck has the factory receiver hitch with 4 pin wiring. Every video review on the Hybrid Maverick said it handles the 2000 lb. just fine. Plenty of reports of success on the MaverickTruckClub.com forum, on the Hybrid's ability to tow its rated weight. Looking forward to trying the regenerative brakes ability when going downhill. There is a Tow/Haul mode and you can select a lower range on the E-cvt which turns on a higher level of Regen Braking, I'll be just fine.

Last edited:
I agree you'll be fine for the bike.

Trying to pull a boat out of the water and up a steep gravel boat ramp with fwd anything is less than ideal.

I measured, I can get a Maverick in my garage. Barely. 🙂

I agree you'll be fine for the bike.

Trying to pull a boat out of the water and up a steep gravel boat ramp with fwd anything is less than ideal.

I measured, I can get a Maverick in my garage. Barely. 🙂
Same here on it fitting in the garage. About 8 inches to spare. IIRC it's 199 in long. Mine is about 201 in with my hitch cover.

Back