2022 Ford Maverick first drive review by Alex on Autos

I showed the Maverick to sweetie who is not the least bit interested in cars unless it has an interesting color or shape, then her interest perks up. She thinks it's an almost perfect vehicle for her needs. She can put a few friends into it more comfortably than in her Prius, and it's easier for her to carry her gardening supplies ... bags of mulch, soil, plants and pots, and a few other items that she struggles with with the Prius. It's probably easier for us to get in and out of, as well.

I like the looks of it, the fuel economy, the lowish price, and its cargo-carrying convenience. It's a nice little truck(let) for around town and the things I'd want to carry. No longer have a need for an F-350 Powerstroke 4x4.

I'm assuming that a topper for the bed will eventually be available. That would be a real nice accessory.

good for some but more box + less doors suit me + more simplicity of a manual tranny!! not everyone drives a lot so like MPGs mean less! i will keep my 2011 fronty SV 4X4 king can + 6 speed manual until it or i leave this world!!!

Topper would help with fuel economy . A must . The PRIUS does have plenty of space behind the rear seat . Had an '07 ( or was it '06 ? ) .
Here are some covers for the bed . https://tonneaucoversworld.com/ .
I was thinking of something like this setup:

MaverickCap.g02.KGP_.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking of something like this setup:

View attachment 74801
Now you are back to this - what the truck WAS before they cut off the roof :)
And are you prepared for Ford Quality? The Oxymoron for decades.
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend.jpg

The Maverick looks Bigger-er. A base XL or XLT with a cap, its a value proposition in today's crazy market.
But, moot point as they are all sold. Maybe by the end of next year you can order one.

But remember it is a UNITBODY, Front wheel drive, sideways engine, compact under all that truck look-a-like thin sheet metal.

I'm watching this vehicle closely, as I am considering dumping the old cars in my fleet that I am tired of working on and moving to one, usable, reliable vehicle. I'd like to buy a Ranger, but they aren't cheap.

The Maverick is exactly what I need. Great mileage, and a bed for the 1 time a month I need to do truck things. Instead I either pay for delivery, or lay tarps in the minivan and hope I don't ruin the interior too badly. A Ridgeline would also work, but they hold a premium as well, and mileage is not good, from what I hear.

I do want to get off the pavement some (not too far), so maybe the AWD would work for that. A rental AWD Rouge Sport I had was quite the 4x4 in the Sugar Cane fields of LA. AWD is pretty good if you are smart about it.

It seems like a nice compromise for a truck.

If folks want a "manly Truck" go get one. For 95% of us it is just perfect. Keeps the dirty stuff out of the cabin.
I have one on order which I may pass on. Recently I spent $500 on the 2018 F-150 for a decent soft trifold tonneau cover and a set of Bilstein 5100 rear shocks. Both have made my basic truck more livable . My payload sticker reads 1988 lb. Yes it is a work truck and the Bilstein's keep that live axle under control much better than the stock shocks. They actually have quite a bit of rebound damping. They are nicely balanced with the stock front shocks. If I pass on the Maverick I will get the Bilstein's for the front to get more rebound damping on the front.

Sorry for another boring pandemic post/
Went to A Toyota dealer today to drive a new Japanese made Venza. It was the base LE trim with optional paint and all weather floor mats. It was a very impressive vehicle. If you were not aware it was a Hybrid, you would never know. No rubber banding at any at a reasonable rate of acceleration. For a base trim it was very well equipped. Even had ACC, the rest of the safety suite, power seats with power lumbar. The interior is well sorted and was not Black. The sandstone color was a good match with the Ruby Pearl paint (optional), the paint quality was very nice. The vehicle had plenty of oomph even headed into a 30 mph headwind on the interstate. I drove it for a half hour. It was available for MSRP of $34560. The interior is a lot larger than a RAV4 Hybrid, especially the width of the cabin. When I took off the vehicle was showing 29.1 mpg with 15 miles on the clock, when the drive was over the mileage monitor said 35.6 mpg. I think it would easily top the 40 mpg mark. The EPA says 39 combined. Might just trade for this if they give me a decent price on my trade.

2018 Ford F-150 XL Reg Cab - 3.3L NA V-6
Motorcraft 5w-20 Syn Blend and Motorcraft FL-500s
2021 BMW F900XR - BMW Advantec 5w-40 SN/JASO MA2 and Factory Filter
https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/1032342.png

Man, you are all over the place in the last 24 hours.

What's all the hype on this truck? It looks like a rehash of the Explorer Sport Trac from 10-20 years ago. About as useful for hauling stuff as the crew cab pickups with the ridiculous 4 foot beds. If you need something for hauling stuff, why not get a pickup, and if you need something for carrying people, get an SUV. This is just a compromise like the Honda Ridgeline and the old Chevy Avalanche, neither of which were a large sales success.
Except the sports trac was actually body on frame and had a V8 lol

One thing I find interesting with the Maverick is the internet Buzz is not negative about it. People hate the ridgeline, but everyone seems to love this. If they truly plan to make the $19000 hybrid XL model in any sort of volume, it'll be a massive success.

Maybe in 3 or 4 years when we've recovered from the new house purchase I'll consider one. FWD and snow tires has never let me down.
I also find this weird as well. The ridgeline seems to be a good truck.

Topper would help with fuel economy . A must . The PRIUS does have plenty of space behind the rear seat . Had an '07 ( or was it '06 ? ) .
Here are some covers for the bed . https://tonneaucoversworld.com/ .
For one of the things sweetie now carries all the time, the Prius (an '07 model) loses a back seat and only 1/2 of the space behind the seat is available to her. Plus the Prius has a very rough and choppy ride and is quite noisy.

I also find this weird as well. The ridgeline seems to be a good truck.

I posted something similar in a facebook group and someone had a good response and I agree with it; Ford doesn't market this as a big boy truck. They market it as a small runaround car with a bed. Honda tries to market the Ridgeline as a full capability truck.

That's not to say that I don't like the Ridgeline. I think it's a great vehicle.

The gas tank ( rubber bladder ) of the '07 was a nuisance . Especially in the winter . Took awhile to fill , likely due to the rubber getting stiffer from the cold . Did great in the snow with the Goodyear O.E.M. tires . The battery under the rear seat helped with weight over the rear wheels . The 3rd generation PRIUS replaced the gas tank .

Back