2022 Ford Maverick first drive review by Alex on Autos

I thought people loved the Ridgeline? I haven’t personally heard anything negative from owners, my parents numbering among them.

Personally, I think the Maverick is a genius move and taps into the wants of people way more than the needs, just like Subaru marketing!

^^Exactly....and it ain't any mystery either. They just made a smaller "trucklike thing". Took 'em long enough if you ask me.

Grew up around zillions of pick-ups used by dairy farming types. I never needed one.
Was the teeny-weeny Chevy LUV "the first".
Then, when the Rangers etc. came out I learned that they didn't even get better mileage.
I thought that was actually stupid. Further underscores how cheap our fuel was and still is.

If they can put AWD under a tin box with a hatch they can do it here.

I'm not picking up the "Feelings" reference. ...the song?

I would 90% if the time want my load area covered. So CUV is is. N

Jeepers I transported about 450 lbs of D- shaped logs, 9-14" dia, from a local sawmill for my log cabin project in my wife's Crosstrek!
Then later that month I transport about fifteen 8' white pine boards of various widths in my leased Jetta - through the trunk pass through. Just takes a tiny bit of ingenuity.

A lot pretend cowboys and cowgirls in their pretend trucks around here.

But these Mavericks, I have heard, are all sold through the middle of next year. So unless you got an order in, You ain't gettin' one anytime soon.

At the very least you will have a 4 door vehicle that gets excellent fuel mileage. and you can tow a light trailer.
Maybe you enjoy a SEA-DOO in the ocean or on a big lake - or you transport dirt bikes out to the desert or mountain trails.
I can see that.

You mean the Impreza hatchback with 3” lift? Speaking of pretense.

I'm getting firewood delivered to my house on Monday. Delivery fee is reasonable, but still, if I owned this truck I would fetch it myself.
I have a utility trailer, but it's not as convenient to use as a small pickup (and it's full of yard stuff at the moment).

I have a loaded out Lariat ordered since June the 9th. No build date yet,, maybe in a few weeks,, or so. This should be a nice ''grocery-getter'' and should do well around town. I'm older and retired [77] and this is simply a play pretty, no rough-stuff for me........

Not that anyone needs to haul 4x8 sheets of plywood or drywall more than once every 10 years or so.

I'll take the F350 rental truck for 27 bucks when loading up for "home projects" at the big box store.

Remember guys, this is a frame-less, Front wheel Drive 4 cylinder Ford Focus or Bronco Sport with a bed instead of a hatch.

But I am sure the buying population will go nuts because they think even a cheap fake truck is worth 27 grand.

Regardless of my grumbling and hesitancy, it is a brilliant move by Ford.
If folks want a "manly Truck" go get one. For 95% of us it is just perfect. Keeps the dirty stuff out of the cabin.
I have one on order which I may pass on. Recently I spent $500 on the 2018 F-150 for a decent soft trifold tonneau cover and a set of Bilstein 5100 rear shocks. Both have made my basic truck more livable . My payload sticker reads 1988 lb. Yes it is a work truck and the Bilstein's keep that live axle under control much better than the stock shocks. They actually have quite a bit of rebound damping. They are nicely balanced with the stock front shocks. If I pass on the Maverick I will get the Bilstein's for the front to get more rebound damping on the front.

Sorry for another boring pandemic post/

It wasn’t just Japanese mini trucks. You are all forgetting the Ford Courier. Here’s a 1973.

285F9673-61C0-4EFF-9823-D2392B6974F7.jpeg

Jeep Comanche. (y)

I like the Maverick (I think it actually looks p!ssah), but it doesn't suit my personal needs. Towing my Jeep, buggy, ATV's, firewood,etc necessitate a full size.

You mean the Impreza hatchback with 3” lift? Speaking of pretense.
C'mon! The Subaru Impreza is standard AWD, over 8" of ground clearance, good steering and alignment retention. goes in the snow where my mid 90's Jeep Cherokee 4WD wouldn't.
And it had excellent build quality. It was also never pretending to be a truck.

This Maverick is a unibody (!) CUV based Front Wheel Drive vehicle.

The only other FWD "trucklet" that I recall seeing in any quantity on the roads is the old '79 VW Rabbit from Pennsylvania
especially the diesels; they were popular auto parts delivery vehicles. My BIL also had one.

The Maverick's grace is it's good fuel mileage and interior room in the base model with Hybrid, and a thoughtfully designed, very short bed. And Affordability if you can get one under 23K.

But it doesn't matter what I think, consumers don't care what I think - they are all sold through the middle of next year.

vw2.jpg

Back