2022 Chevy 2500 pickup- coworker purchased- very "retro" for a pickup

The Allison 10 speed is just the regular ford gm heavy duty 10 speed. GM just paid them to slap their name on it to keep buyer confidence in their product. It's basically the same as the ford 10r90. A pretty scammy move. https://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/12/2020-silverado-hds-allison-transmission-isnt-really-an-allison/

No it isn't. The 10 speed in the Chevy 1500 comes from Ford, the "allison" is much different even though it's also a 10 speed. The article you referenced even says "The transmission isn’t closely related to the 10-speed automatic found in the 2019 Silverado 1500, as far as we can tell, with General Motors describing the Allison-branded unit as “all-new.”

You may not have known that GM owned Allison back in the day. Is it a "true" allison, who knows, but they did certify it.

So the Ford 10 speed in the F150 and the GM 10 speed in the 1500's are close physically (designed by Ford), but GM has their own software and it is far better tuned.

The Ford 10 speed in the super duty and the GM 10 speed in the heavy dutys are not anywhere close to eachother. Basically 3 different 10 speeds in use there.

I have the GMC version of the truck GON is talking about and agree with his observations. Anyone who thinks the 6 speed is deficient doesn't own one. We have over 6000 miles towing now and the transmission does it's job with no drama. Would 10 speeds keep it at more optimal rpms? Of course. If you needed a truck in 2021 it really didn't matter that they put a 10 speed in it in 2024.

We ordered the truck because at the time used prices were spiking availability was poor and it make sense. I discovered while configuring the truck on the GMC website that a 3500 was just $400 more than a 2500 instead of the usual $1200. It was a pricing quirk and since the only differences are an 11.5 rear diff and overload springs added to the rear packs I got the 3500. Rides exactly like a 2500 because the truck has to squat 3 inches in the back before the overloads engage.

This truck was built 4/21, right in the middle of the chaos and the only flaw was a small clunk in the steering that has a TSB for the intermediate steering shaft. It's a GM thing, I had a truck in the early 2000s with the exact same clunk. Not a saftey concern, a tolerance stacking thing. The truck tows like a boss and has enough capacity to go bigger if we want and we didn't pay the $10k diesel tax.

The interior didn't seem much different from my 1991 Chevy 3500. No big high tech screen, HVAC changes made with physical knobs. Only big difference I saw from my 1991 was the integrated trailer brake controller (and the Bluetooth).
They probably had to go back to older technology due to the chip shortage

No expert at all, but here is another claim that the GM Allison in the 3/4 ton HD diesel pickup is not the Ford derived 10 speed. Certainly I can see the issue of GM vs a true Allison.

73E2F255-E045-4873-A846-B4B1B38733FE.jpeg

I'm a little surprised they changed the firing order from the older SBC/BBC. What model year did that happen?
That's the LS engine firing order. Sequence-wise, it's the same as the Ford 351/302HO firing order, 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, but maps differently because GM and Ford use different bank numbering schemes.

A buddy has a Ram 5500 Hemi work truck with a big custom bed on the back. Drives it with his foot to the floor everywhere he goes and it will downshift to first up some long steep grades around town. It weighs over 15,000 at all times and so far hasn’t had any issues but he’s only had it a year or so. I would’ve ordered an F-600 with the 7.3 gas if I were the owner and trying to avoid the diesel tax/reliability issues.

Nobody with work vehicles here orders a GM, it’s exclusively Ram and Ford.

Edit-it gets 6-7 mpg too.

No expert at all, but here is another claim that the GM Allison in the 3/4 ton HD diesel pickup is not the Ford derived 10 speed. Certainly I can see the issue of GM vs a true Allison.

Their are many similarities between the 10R140 & 10L1000, While they were developed independently......They're both basically scaled-up versions of the 10R80/10L90E joint venture units.

The PTO drive on the 10L1000 (If equipped) is really what sits it apart from the 10R140. And this is likely what Allison helped validate.

Back