2021 RX350 OCI recommendation?

Just purchased off-lease 2021 RX350 re-certified with 17K. Supposedly it was older couple traded it in for another lease. The OCI is not ideal since they followed the 10k Lexus recommendation. What is the recommendations moving forward? I like to hear from the forum members. This is the CARFAX history.

4/21 purchase date

12/21 5K OC at Lexus dealer(odometer 5K)

12/23 10K OC at Lexus dealer (odometer 15K)

05/24 Dealer takes possession
Toyota oil and OC at Lexus dealer (odometer 16.7K)

Not great the oil has been sitting around for 24 months and driven 100mi per week. What should be the next OCI?

Do I need to do a HPL 30 flush?
Or go PP HM?

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion is one oil change interval with 1-quart of HPL EC 30 (or 40) is unlikely to be needed, but certainly won’t harm anything.

If it were mine, given the low mileage, I’d skip the EC cleaning cycle and simply use HPL PCMO oil (or whichever Synthetic PCMO you prefer) from here forward (in SAE 5W-30 or 0W-40).

Every time I purchased a used car I've been told the "older couple" or the "little old lady."

I think you have a beautiful, fresh Lexus engine. I'd use PUP or Mobil 1 and drive the car with a lot of pride.

I think it has been serviced fine. The last oil change interval was only 6,700. If you can tell the dealer actually changed the oil when they put it in inventory (I'm sure a Lexus dealer would), I'd run the current fill for 3000 miles or so before I even drained it out.

12/21 5K OC at Lexus dealer(odometer 5K)

12/23 10K OC at Lexus dealer (odometer 15K)

05/24 Dealer takes possession
Toyota oil and OC at Lexus dealer (odometer 16.7K)
So it had a 5K OCI, a 10K OCI, and then a 1700 mile OCI? If that's what the OC history was, then I highly doubt that engine has any deposits to worry about with only 17K total miles on the odometer. Just change the oil with whatever you'd normally use at the OCI you normally do.

So, if I’m reading this right it had an oil change at 5,000 miles, then another at 15,000 miles and then one recently at the dealer at 16,700 miles? If so id run that for a 5,000 mile interval and then drain it and try this new Valvoline Restore and Protect (if you’re worried the engine isn’t clean). But that engine should be pretty spotless inside despite its maintenance history…it has very low mileage, and it’s not like the thing went 35,000 miles on conventional or something. It’s fine.

So it had a 5K OCI, a 10K OCI, and then a 1700 mile OCI? If that's what the OC history was, then I highly doubt that engine has any deposits to worry about with only 17K total miles on the odometer. Just change the oil with whatever you'd normally use at the OCI you normally do.
This 5K,10k, 1.7K OCI is correct. My question is that it took two years between OCI.

So, if I’m reading this right it had an oil change at 5,000 miles, then another at 15,000 miles and then one recently at the dealer at 16,700 miles? If so id run that for a 5,000 mile interval and then drain it and try this new Valvoline Restore and Protect (if you’re worried the engine isn’t clean). But that engine should be pretty spotless inside despite its maintenance history…it has very low mileage, and it’s not like the thing went 35,000 miles on conventional or something. It’s fine.
The 5,15,1.7 OCI is correct. The service sheet says Toyota oil probably synthetic.

Every time I purchased a used car I've been told the "older couple" or the "little old lady."

I think you have a beautiful, fresh Lexus engine. I'd use PUP or Mobil 1 and drive the car with a lot of pride.

I think it has been serviced fine. The last oil change interval was only 6,700. If you can tell the dealer actually changed the oil when they put it in inventory (I'm sure a Lexus dealer would), I'd run the current fill for 3000 miles or so before I even drained it out.
Not 6700 oci but 1700 oci. The dealer did it again after he took possession of the car.

The 5,15,1.7 OCI is correct. The service sheet says Toyota oil probably synthetic.
Ok, so what I’d probably do (if it were me), I’d run that thing out to 5,000 miles dump it, try the Restore and Protect, run it 5,000 miles…then decide on what oil brand I’d want permanently for that thing. And that thing won’t care anyway, it’s a 2GR-FKS engine (if memory serves me) two fuel systems based off the 2GR-FE engine. You’re not going to be able to kill that thing…they even made the cam phasers a little easier to work on, and that that was that engine’s only real “weakness”. Honestly, that thing could probably easily handle 10,000 mile intervals (at least I know the 2GRFE could). IMO

Ok, so what I’d probably do (if it were me), I’d run that thing out to 5,000 miles dump it, try the Restore and Protect, run it 5,000 miles…then decide on what oil brand I’d want permanently for that thing. And that thing won’t care anyway, it’s a 2GR-FKS engine (if memory serves me) two fuel systems based off the 2GR-FE engine. You’re not going to be able to kill that thing…they even made the cam phasers a little easier to work on, and that that was that engine’s only real “weakness”. Honestly, that thing could probably easily handle 10,000 mile intervals (at least I know the 2GRFE could). IMO
@doublebase, I already have two 2grfe cars: 14 Venza and 09 es350. The reason for purchase was that 2022 is the last year of the v6. Now I have to find a worthy deserving person to receive the Venza with 120k, OCI every 5K with UOA, trans OCI every 40k (Redline D6), trans/diff every 40k(Mobi Delvac 75w-90), Toyota coolant every 60k.

Also did the Toyota 120K spark plug replacement,

I hate to sell it.

Last edited:
Here locally, the Lexus Dealers used Valvoline but not sure which type. The idea for the restore and protect makes sense.

What are you expecting an oil choice to do?
What I trying to establish is the lowest wear rate during break-in.

Ideally i would have done the following oil changes in the 1st 10k
at odometer readings: 500,1500, 3500, 6500, 10000

Now start 5K oci

Last edited:
What I trying to establish is the lowest wear rate during break-in.

Ideally i would have done the following oil changes in the 1st 10k
at odometer readings: 500,1500, 3500, 6500, 10000

Now start 5K oci

That seems a little overly cautious. It would have been fine to do 500, 5000, 10,000. Those two extra oil changes in the first 10,000 in your plan would not have made a difference. It would have been time and money wasted for no gain.

Also if it were me I wouldn’t do 5k changes either. I would be happy with 10k.

I'd start changing oil at every 5000 miles on the odometer. Easy to keep track of.
On my 4Runner, I did a spill and fill of oil only on the 5Ks and then oil and filter on the 10Ks. The cartridge filter always looked clean after 10K miles. I'll probably do oil and filter on the 5Ks and 10Ks on my RAV4 since the spin-on filter is quick and easy to change.

Pennzoil has a good rebate going on right now for Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum oil.

Back