2021 Mustang Mach-e Premium

I really dig it. Thanks for all the info.
Wonder if all dealerships are going to have chargers. There is your built in network...

What good is a network if you have to drive into town from the freeways to use it?

Same with Porsche, Nissan..

Is it on the Escape platform?
Seriously the look is fine with me but why not be original on the name
I don't think the Stang ever had electrification anyway.

It's apparently based on the GE1 EV platform, which in turn is based on a heavily reworked version of the Focus/Escape platform.

Because it is already there and then you expand. Shear numbers.

It's "there" but so inconvenient as to be unworkable in the majority of the cases.

In the case of the Ford its really the ionity/electrify network that you will be using.

It's all inconvenient except home charging. That's the beauty of gas electric... to me anyway.

Charging at home is GOLD.

But when you have to travel the Supercharger network is exceptional, ionity and EA are workable.

Dealer chargers are almost always a last resort option often behind a campground with a 50 amp connector.

Not sure I agree. But then again there are a lotta chargers in Northern CA.
Of course it depends on how you use your car as well.
This is the sticks..half the time you don't even have electric.
When you can pull up all over the place and fill up from empty in the time it takes to fill up with gas we will have arrived.

I should also note, and @JeffKeryk this might interest you, but the Mach-e does OTA updates (unlike the e-tron and EV's from other domestic marques) which is a big deal for the "old boys" here and sets Ford apart from its contemporaries.

I should also note, and @JeffKeryk this might interest you, but the Mach-e does OTA updates (unlike the e-tron and EV's from other domestic marques) which is a big deal for the "old boys" here and sets Ford apart from its contemporaries.
Over the Air Updates is a big deal and I'm sure other makes will incorporate them as time goes by. Oftentimes the update is small; sometimes the changes are pretty major and require some relearning of how the car works.

Recently the screen layout completely changed; a lotta owners loudly complained. I like it. For example, to give the car a voice command like "I'm cold" or "take me to work", you used to touch the touch screen. Now you press the right button on the steering wheel.

Things like orange cones, stop signs and traffic lights (including what color they are) are added to the display.
Recently the number of lanes on the freeway started displaying and positioned you in whatever lane.
Sometimes more range or the car is faster.

I know it sounds stupid, but if a car is software based, over the air updates gives you a new car, a better car.
Right in your garage... Amazing.
Tesla solicits user ideas for future updates. Dog mode and sentry mode are 2 well received user suggestions.

Owners have become smarter as they use the cars. For example, recharging on a trip is a big deal. One upcoming update is adjustable supercharger locating.
"It would be useful to tell my car I do not want to stop at the suggested supercharger, but select the next along the route and preheat battery accordingly."

Elon's whack. And that's a good thing because he is asking owners to set direction. Owners know how they use their cars; they are the experts.
OTA updates are a big deal.

Over the Air Updates is a big deal and I'm sure other makes will incorporate them as time goes by. Oftentimes the update is small; sometimes the changes are pretty major and require some relearning of how the car works.

Recently the screen layout completely changed; a lotta owners loudly complained. I like it. For example, to give the car a voice command like "I'm cold" or "take me to work", you used to touch the touch screen. Now you press the right button on the steering wheel.

Things like orange cones, stop signs and traffic lights (including what color they are) are added to the display.
Recently the number of lanes on the freeway started displaying and positioned you in whatever lane.
Sometimes more range or the car is faster.

I know it sounds stupid, but if a car is software based, over the air updates gives you a new car, a better car.
Right in your garage... Amazing.
Tesla solicits user ideas for future updates. Dog mode and sentry mode are 2 well received user suggestions.

Owners have become smarter as they use the cars. For example, recharging on a trip is a big deal. One upcoming update is adjustable supercharger locating.
"It would be useful to tell my car I do not want to stop at the suggested supercharger, but select the next along the route and preheat battery accordingly."

Elon's whack. And that's a good thing because he is asking owners to set direction. Owners know how they use their cars; they are the experts.
OTA updates are a big deal.

I'm in complete agreement. I'm seriously considering the Mach-e right now.

... the Mach-e does OTA updates (unlike the e-tron and EV's from other domestic marques) which is a big deal for the "old boys" here and sets Ford apart from its contemporaries.
Hope it's not done by Microsoft. :D

Hope it's not done by Microsoft. :D

I'm betting it probably is, lol. Maybe you'll need a subscription, Ford365?

Given their relationship, that would definitely make sense. I just hope the vehicle updates are better vetted than some of the WIndows ones!

I saw one in "wild" yesterday with dealer plates. I liked the look although it reminded me of a Crosstrek stance but maybe that is what they are going for?

Will wait a year or so to see how many hardware/software bugs Ford will have to figure out. Should be interesting.
Yep, it will be interesting. In it's favor is, Ford has been making vehicles for a long time. So there's that.
Tesla, on the other hand, has been on a steep learning curve... There is no doubt they have had their troubles.
However, their factories are now considered state of the art.

In addition, an EV drivetrain is far simpler than an ICE drivetrain. A Model 3 drivetrain has like 17 moving parts as compared to hundreds in an ICE drivetrain.
But the Mach-E is a new vehicle, so let's see what happens. And Ford will certainly learn as they go.

My take is, competition between manufacturers is good for the consumer. I wish the Mustang Mach-E well.

We have had one in at my job for about 3 weeks. It's been making it's way around management as a demonstrator model currently. I did get a chance to take it for a drive. The acceleration was as expected from an electric vehicle for me, the interior I felt was quite nice yet still familiar in a way as the layout isn't that different from other Ford models. To me the most impressive thing was the paint job. Usually I can pick out a few minor imperfections on a new car paint job, this one looked flawless.

It will be interesting to find out when it comes to OTA updates - what is and isnt OTA - how deep does the Ford go?

Its one thing to update a map and or some gauges...but to alter the car like reducing stopping distance, tweaking AWD... what's software and what's firmware that needs to be updated at the dealership?

Unanswered questions..

Does a single computer control car like a tesla?
Can an update brick a car?
What will be changed as far as charging speed or acceleration - will ford have to " nerf the car" to maintain warranty times.
Whats long term degradation like?
How is performance and range effected at the ends of tea extremes
Is EA or ionity going to be sufficient for long term travel ?
Will they catch fire?
Will accidents cause death and at what rate vs the ice lineup?

I will happily do without a 17" computer monitor on my dash. Just give me a Dodge Ram size integrated screen at the most. Frankly, I've never ever needed more than whatever size screen is in my 2019 Jetta.

Back