Can't decide what I hate more, the Mustang II or the new SUV crossover Mustang

I don't usually follow the latest car models all that closely anymore, so I had now idea what this newer ***** white Ford SUV crossover thing I passed a few times this week on the way to work. This morning I caught a glimps of it from the front and back and realized it was Mustang!! What the heck is this awful thing? Apparently it's the Mach-e? Yuck. I can't decide if I hate it more or less than the Pinto-esque Mustang II or not. Pictures don't do justice to just how wrong and disproportionate the Mach-e looks in person.

SUV Mustang.jpg

mustang II.jpg

The Mach-E is no uglier than most Teslas.

The swoopy rear quarter window over acres of sheet metal does nothing for me. I don't like the lack of glass/ rearward vision, which they're supplanting with sensors and cameras, but it's not the same. This isn't just this particular model-- it's the current trend of styling.

It's an abomination of the Mustang name, but vehicles as a whole have jumped the shark anyway.

GM sold the Daewoo-made subcompact and named it the Pontiac LeMans, and every Oldsmobile was some sort of Cutlass.

The Mach-E has been out for a year or two, so you've probably seen a few but like you said, not really noticed them.

I grew up when Mustang IIs were beaters for people who just wanted some sort of car. I guess it was nice to get a Pinto with the 2.8 V6 as many midlevel models were equipped. They're coming back in popularity, not, IMO, due to any particular greatness in their engineering, but simple nostalgia for a simpler time.

Last edited:
I actually like the Mustang II in some configurations; the t-top and King Cobra versions are retro cool. Yes - they were turds in terms of performance, but pretty much most cars were during that time. In terms of handling and size, they were a much better car than the 71-73 behemoth slugs they replaced. The Boss 351 and 429CJ/SCJ Mach 1 cars were fast, but handled badly and were really too large to be considered a sporty car. The II returned to it's roots; a small and affordable car.

The Mach E? Well, it's a decent car, but it should have never had the Mustang nameplate applied to it.

As is said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I actually liked the look of the Mustang II, my brother had a baby blue one in high school. The performance was obviously lacking, but most cars of that time period were slow.

The Mach E has grown on me. I'd even consider buying one if it wasn't so expensive. Ford seems to have admitted they rushed it to market and it has some early model pains that they need to rectify.

Fake, electric "Mustang" is one of the worst names I've ever seen. It's basically an electric Edge but 4" lower. Should have come up with some name like Edgeletric or something.

I can dig the Mustang II. At least it was the same type of car as the OG.

Have always liked Mustang II a lot.
Might be the most important Mustang ever built - if they hadn’t built it and had it be a success, the Mustang was gone after 1973.
It kept the Mustang alive so it could have another 50-plus years. Simple fact.

Many of us Ford fans and Mustang fanatics (myself included) love to remember the good ones:
- 289 K code HiPo early models
- Boss 302, Boss 351 and Boss 429
- 428 CobraJet models
- Lima engine big blocks in the CJ/SCJ Mach 1s
- etc ...

But the reality is that most years, and especially the early years, but Mustangs were made with a LOT of puny engines, not pony engines. The 64-66 cars were mostly sold with 6 cyl engines. Even later when v-8 cars were coming more predominant, most of them were 2bbl or lower-power 4bbl cars. Yes- the high HP cars got all the press, but they didn't sell in high volumes relative to the other engines. The Mustang, when it first came out, was labeled a "secretary's car". The Mustang wasn't born with a HP image; it worked it's way there with impressive models all while relying on the high-volume "slow" cars to make the money for the model line.

Hence, the low power Mustang II cars aren't really the abomination many want to remember them as. All cars in the mid-70s were lame performers. At least the Mustang II gave a bump in sales and continued the nameplate; one that has never stopped in nearly 60 years!

I like the fancy, dressed up models of the Mustang II for what they were at the time. I once saw a nicely retro-rodded black King Cobra; lowered with a powerful 5.0L engine and upgraded running gear. It looked wicked.

I actually thought of buying a Mustang II many years ago. I was looking for a decent used car and the local dealer had a used black Cobra on the lot. Young and dumb. I smartened up and realized that I would kill my self in that thing.

Back