2021 F150 Coyote Changes

I moved the 2018 to 10-30. On 5-30 it would start getting chatty around 6000 miles. With 10-30 it’s still quiet at 7500 when I change it.

at 31,000, mine has started weeping antifreeze, somewhere. I can smell it, though it’s slow enough that the reservoir hasn’t dropped much if any. Can’t find any damp spots, but the smell is pronounced. It will likely show soon.

m

Exactly why I'd wait at least two years. I wait and let the early adopters tell me if there are problems or not. Flame suit on.
Exactly. The belt driven oil pump and cylinder deactivation sounds like a step backwards to me. I don't want either.

I wonder if the oil pump belt is going to be a maintenance item like vehicles that run timing belts?

Last edited:
Why would ford use a belt driven oil pump for . I’m pretty sure they could of design a chain version. This will just increase the maintenance cost to the owners . Not cool Ford

Reactions: pbm
Exactly. The belt driven oil pump and cylinder deactivation sounds like a step backwards to me. I don't want either.

I wonder if the oil pump belt is going to be a maintenance item like vehicles that run timing belts?
I don't know enough about the engine to comment, but if there are problems the early adopters will report, and hopefully Ford will listen. I will say I'm not a fan of cylinder deactivation, but as long as there is a way to disable it, it wouldn't be a deal breaker. The belt driven oil pump, I'd pass on that or wait for an update and then maybe consider it. I was a Ford fan since I was a kid, sadly not so much anymore. I was hoping the Bronco would change things for me, I have my doubts.

I take it you haven't paid attention to lifter issues on the Hemis due to a blind eye? ;)
I have heard of this issue, but have not experienced any issues. With all the hemi engines on the road, the percentage of the lifter cam failure is pretty low. If my hemi does become a statistic, I'll just upgrade and get a bit more performance.

I have heard of this issue, but have not experienced any issues. With all the hemi engines on the road, the percentage of the lifter cam failure is pretty low. If my hemi does become a statistic, I'll just upgrade and get a bit more performance.
Well, look at the GM AFM/DFM issues combined with the Hemi issues....it's not a good thing. :p

It is fairly common to see the lifter/cam issues in the hemi motor BUT, the ones I’ve seen first hand were caused by oil neglect. You just can’t run a conventional/blend in a police car that idles all day and leave it in ther for 7,500 miles. The guys that do 3,000-5,000 miles don’t see these problems. Of course this is only in my experience. Yours may vary.

I don't know enough about the engine to comment, but if there are problems the early adopters will report, and hopefully Ford will listen. I will say I'm not a fan of cylinder deactivation, but as long as there is a way to disable it, it wouldn't be a deal breaker. The belt driven oil pump, I'd pass on that or wait for an update and then maybe consider it. I was a Ford fan since I was a kid, sadly not so much anymore. I was hoping the Bronco would change things for me, I have my doubts.
I'm not a fan of cylinder deactivation either and is one of the reasons I went with the Mustang back in 2013 when I was looking to buy a performance car. The Camaro and Challenger had it and the Challenger's system was very noticeable and annoying. The Camaro's not so much but with GM's past history of problems with this system, I didn't want to take a chance.

I guess if I ever want to get a new domestic truck without it, I will have to move up to a 3/4 or 1 ton.

Back