Coyote is randomly using oil.

I bought a 2018 f150 with the 5.0 in March. I know that some/many use a lot of oil, so I immediately changed it and used a Motorcraft filter and 8.8 quarts of royal purple 5w30.

It had not used any until we drove 4 hours at 75 mph. I checked the level before we left and it was down exactly a quart whey we arrived.

The next day we returned are the same speed and it was still full. I’ve driven almost 1500 miles since coming home with no oil usage.

I am Thoroughly confused. Any ideas? I do check the level weekly.

Wasn't that year where they had some odd oil consumption issues with the 5.0. Something about vacuum when decelerating.

It is not uncommon for oil consumption to temporarily increase after a change in brand or viscosity.

Wasn't that year where they had some odd oil consumption issues with the 5.0. Something about vacuum when decelerating.

Yes, there is a TSB for it. I don't have the number handy, but IIRC the recommended fix was a PCM update.

This was a year where Ford started plasma transferred wire arc spray cylinder liners causing all kinds of oil consumption issues.

TSB 19-2058.
TSB 19-2365.
TSB 19-2338.
TSB 19-2133.

Last edited:
I have a friend who had a 2018 F150 with the 5.0 that he bought new and he had all kinds of oil usage issues. The dealer kept telling him it was normal so he finally got rid of the truck last year.

Back