2020 Tacoma oil

I am reaching the end of my trucks included toyotacare services. I was changing the oil myself at 5,000 miles just because I do some short trips and some towing especially towing a camper in the summers. So I have done my own oil change between the 10,000 mile interval they do them at and was using the recommended 0w20 in the 3.5L v6.
I noticed a few things the oil is pretty darn thin. much thinner than the 5w40 my Liberty CRD took. I see the owner's manual says 5w20 is ok if 0w20 is not available. they however state that they want you to change it after 5,000 miles back to 0w20. As I have been looking at what the stores now have on the self 5w20 seems to be more often in stock than 0w20. At my local wally world every time I have went down the oil isle it's pretty sparse. I have no problem using SuperTech as it seems to meet the specs from Toyota and it will be changed regularly.
Is there any issue or any harm that could come if I switch over permanently to 5w20 or even 5w30? I would still keep with a full synthetic oil and quality filter, most likely an OEM filter. Is this 0w20 stuff just for EPA fuel conservation and will it even make a lick of difference? I'm in Pennsylvania and we do see all kinds of temperatures all year but nothing below 0F too often.

Last edited:
That generation of Toyota engine can take much thicker but you don't have to. I had US manuals that stated everything from 0w-20 to 20w-50 in the 2016 and older models. the engines that ask for 0w-16 like the 2018 Prius go from 0w-16 to 10w-40 in the owners manual. I also posted a thread about the new 2021 Toyota Yaris hybrid stating to use anything 0w-8 to 5w-30.

These Toyota engines aren't sensitive at all. It's just the rules automakers follow in the US. And no it wont hurt mpg beyond margin of error in how we could ever test it.

Bottom line is you can use anything you want. If it were my truck I'd use 5w-30 permanently and not even worry about it. I wouldn't put 10 or 15w-40 in it but maybe id use 0w-40 at most but a 30 grade is thick enough. You drive a good amount and use your truck as intended.

A fabulous oil for 5k intervals would be Valvoline full synthetic. It's got a great additive pack and 300ppm of moly. Such a good oil I'd use its 0w-20 version without a worry. Oddly the 5w-20 and 10w-30 state less additives than the 0w-20 and 5w-30 versions.

Last edited:
That generation of Toyota engine can take much thicker but you don't have to. I had US manuals that stated everything from 0w-20 to 20w-50 in the 2016 and older models. the engines that ask for 0w-16 like the 2018 Prius go from 0w-16 to 10w-40 in the owners manual. I also posted a thread about the new 2021 Toyota Yaris hybrid stating to use anything 0w-8 to 5w-30.

These Toyota engines aren't sensitive at all. It's just the rules automakers follow in the US. And no it wont hurt mpg beyond margin of error in how we could ever test it.

Bottom line is you can use anything you want. If it were my truck I'd use 5w-30 permanently and not even worry about it. I wouldn't put 10 or 15w-40 in it but maybe id use 0w-40 at most but a 30 grade is thick enough. You drive a good amount and use your truck as intended.

A fabulous oil for 5k intervals would be Valvoline full synthetic. It's got a great additive pack and 300ppm of moly. Such a good oil I'd use its 0w-20 version without a worry. Oddly the 5w-20 and 10w-30 state less additives than the 0w-20 and 5w-30 versions.
That's the answer I was actually looking for. I suspected that they were able to use other oils but in the US are told to used thinner because of the government. I will check into Valvoline.
a 0w-8 must pour like water!
Thanks

That's the answer I was actually looking for. I suspected that they were able to use other oils but in the US are told to used thinner because of the government. I will check into Valvoline.
a 0w-8 must pour like water!
Thanks
Check it for yourself. If that engine can go 2x over the minimum kv100 viscosity so could yours. Doesn't mean you should but you could. But a 30 grade is thick enough.

I believe there was... maybe you are not reading. If you can't reply with anything useful maybe move along then and troll someplace else.
You can also check previous threads for this oft-asked question, it’s probably the #1 most discussed topic on Bitog.

I believe there was... maybe you are not reading. If you can't reply with anything useful maybe move along then and troll someplace else.

Editing your comment after I had made mine shines that light back on you.

I’m guessing this isn’t your first time here?

At operating temperature no difference in the 0w20 vs 5w20, buy what's available. No need for a heavier oil.

As for this statement "I see the owner's manual says 5w20 is ok if 0w20 is not available. they however state that they want you to change it after 5,000 miles back to 0w20. "

I suspect, in Toyota's stealership garage, 5w-20 is non synthetic while the 0w-20 is synthetic.
They recommend synthetic for all Toyota now.

I suspect, in Toyota's stealership garage, 5w-20 is non synthetic while the 0w-20 is synthetic.
They recommend synthetic for all Toyota now.
For cost they could have drums of 5w20 syn blend.. however they'll use what is spec'd for that vehicle.

The general thought running through this website is that the lower viscosity oils are for the manufacturer to meet fuel economy requirements while providing adequate engine lubrication. (Sometimes the thinner viscosities are needed for operation in very cold climates, but that scenario is relatively rare among people posting on this site.) The same vehicle/engine sold in other markets -- e.g. South America, Europe -- will often specify 0w20, 5w20 or 5w30. There is no risk to your engine running 5w20 or 5w30 assuming that these viscosities are suitable for your climate (most likely, they are suitable).

0w20 is a little better in the winter when it comes to cold starting in the winter.

Keep in mind, though, at VVT-i is still controlled by oil pressure via the VVT oil control valve, so, it may work better with 20-weight oil. not sure if both intake and exhaust valve timing (phasing) is oil controlled or just one set is.

0w20 is a little better in the winter when it comes to cold starting in the winter.

Keep in mind, though, at VVT-i is still controlled by oil pressure via the VVT oil control valve, so, it may work better with 20-weight oil. not sure if both intake and exhaust valve timing (phasing) is oil controlled or just one set is.
Simple thing is leave it alone. Countless times 0w20 has been proven a Tacoma engine with a little trailing won’t outperform the oil.

True but he lives in Florida so the cold is no issue. Toyota has a feedback system as it would be folly to design the system to have a blindfold on it. The system variates actuation dynamically and checks what was done and readjusts as oil is always a different viscosity and there are thick and thin 0w-20's and some shear worse than others. Toyota knows what they're doing. The Toyotas in Europe run 4 grades up in their owners manual from the minimum. 0w-20 to 20w-50. in the manual. And every one is vvt.

Back