0w-8 in the new non US Yaris hybrid

i tried looking up a 0w-8 forum but i guess the search function aint the best. The Yaris hybrid has been out for half a year but the owners manual has been up on the Toyota UK site for a while. i downloaded it a couple months ago to see if it was true and it is. the funny thing is that Toyota still recommends 4 grades up over there. So what do y'all think.
2021 yaris.PNG

So when do y'all think 0w-8 will hit the market over here. Can anyone also see a cheaper group ii straight sae 8 or maybe 5w-8 in lower cost variants in the future, possibly in the blue and silver bottle that looks like the store its sold in. Wally did sell a 0w-16 once but I've never seen it again. i feel that in 5 years we'll have it on shelves everywhere. i personally would stick to a 0w-20 even in the new engines. the day has come when 0w-20 is now considered too thick for some engines.

i tried looking up a 0w-8 forum but i guess the search function aint the best. The Yaris hybrid has been out for half a year but the owners manual has been up on the Toyota UK site for a while. i downloaded it a couple months ago to see if it was true and it is. the funny thing is that Toyota still recommends 4 grades up over there. So what do y'all think. View attachment 58038
I think I would be putting 5w-30 in it.

insane. imagine this on long highway ride. 😕
and then you start to hear a squeaking from inside the engine and see smoke coming out the tail pipe as tears slowly roll down your eyes from pain.

(just a joke) someone would take that seriously.

Why would stoplight races worry you? It’s a hybrid, some large portion of the acceleration will likely come from the battery.

I’m not sure how well isolated Toyota’s engines are from the road (the rest of car is!) but the ECU is monitoring everything. I’m not sure how high the rpm is allowed to go on their engines, am guessing they avoid low rpm lugging and high rpm at the same time, via usage of the electric motors and CVT. Throw in a coolant/oil heat exchanger and I have to wonder if the oil is being taxed that hard. Lastly, as a hybrid, with start/stop, “miles” on motor oil change interval seems less of a useful metric than on ICE.

I guess we’ll know in a few years if it’s a problem or not.

insane. imagine this on long highway ride. 😕
Yeah it's like no one has thought of whether it is actually appropriate or not.
Except that they have determined it is appropriate.
And it is appropriate.
So what you have left is some goofballs that compare it to Mountain Dew or something else equally goofy.

No real engineering effort in those goofy thoughts, just shortsighted preferentialism.

I wouldn't be worried about it on a long highway ride. There's little load and low rpm so the oil isn't being taxed much. It's accelerating from a stoplight in rush hour traffic that worries me.
It's a hybrid, so I think the engine is designed to deliver power at constant load and rpm to an alternator rather than a gearbox to the wheels. If so, I think the engine will quickly ramp up to a constant power point even under maximum vehicle acceleration because all power to the wheels is delivered by electric motor(s).

Back