0w-8 in the new non US Yaris hybrid

So you own the Yaris? Tell us more about it and your fuel economy experience.
Oh no I don't own a yaris but I want to buy a 2022 Prius the new updated one not the current on that's gonna be old soon. I was iffy about hybrids but toyota can make them reliable so I'm not worried anymore and the stigma on hybrids has mostly washed away. That one will be using 0w-8 since the yaris is the new next gen which is yet to come out for north America since the release cycle is different but has already come out elsewhere. The next gen Prius will use 0w-8 but I'm just posting this before hand to get some opinions. I feel that they may still recommend 0w-16 as there isn't a supply of 0w-8 here and there's short supply in Europe so some dealers may use the other grades in unavailable. I don't really use my Sierra for truck things. I just commute with an empty bed wasting gas. Really set on a Prius and if not a Camry hybrid. I think I'll use Mobil 1 afe 0w-16 or AP 0w-20 like the others because of the pao everyone raves about. Not too thick or thin. Pretty much the middle. Still an 7-8.5 cst oil. 0w-8 is about 5.5. unless Mobil 1 comes out with a 90% pao 0w-8 with a robust anti wear pack. Then I may bite as long as there's no oil burning.

I heard that yet the oil is very thin from 0w20 and downward the molecular strength and shear rating of the oil is quite robust. Especially with the 0w8 and 16. Wonder the truth in that statement?

Oh no I don't own a yaris but I want to buy a 2022 Prius the new updated one not the current on that's gonna be old soon. I was iffy about hybrids but toyota can make them reliable so I'm not worried anymore and the stigma on hybrids has mostly washed away. That one will be using 0w-8 since the yaris is the new next gen which is yet to come out for north America since the release cycle is different but has already come out elsewhere. The next gen Prius will use 0w-8 but I'm just posting this before hand to get some opinions. I feel that they may still recommend 0w-16 as there isn't a supply of 0w-8 here and there's short supply in Europe so some dealers may use the other grades in unavailable. I don't really use my Sierra for truck things. I just commute with an empty bed wasting gas. Really set on a Prius and if not a Camry hybrid. I think I'll use Mobil 1 afe 0w-16 or AP 0w-20 like the others because of the pao everyone raves about. Not too thick or thin. Pretty much the middle. Still an 7-8.5 cst oil. 0w-8 is about 5.5. unless Mobil 1 comes out with a 90% pao 0w-8 with a robust anti wear pack. Then I may bite as long as there's no oil burning.

I got ya. I wouldn’t worry much about 0w08 although I haven't seen it here yet. 0w16 is widely available. Walmart carries several brands of 0w16.

The key point of this newer hybrid system is that the engine runs a electric motor and that’s pretty much it. The electric motor and the battery propel the car. It reminds me in some ways of a diesel-electric system you would see on some ships.

Thing is, I heard the same comment when 5w20 and 0w20 came out. Give it another 10 years or so and you will be able to eat a greasy meal and spit in the crankcase to top your oil off.
And....... .
You say that like it's a bad thing.

To quote the Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy, "Don't knock it if it works!"

Through PHX or death valley in late July.
Yeah imagine that they never tested for that.
Except they did.

Now what?!?
These thick/thin discussions seem to be about how people feel about a product instead of how it actually performs.

Can we move past feelings and just get to a product's performance? Maybe without hurting anybody's feelings?!?

There's a big difference between an engineering justification for whether a product works or not and somebody's feelings about how thick/thin a product is for an application.

Anytime someone on BITOG rails against an Xw-20, or any oil viscosity grade for that fact, it is important to ask yourself whether their perspective is well grounded in science/engineering or whether it is driven by emotion or personal bias.

Last edited:
I got ya. I wouldn’t worry much about 0w08 although I haven't seen it here yet. 0w16 is widely available. Walmart carries several brands of 0w16.

The key point of this newer hybrid system is that the engine runs a electric motor and that’s pretty much it. The electric motor and the battery propel the car. It reminds me in some ways of a diesel-electric system you would see on some ships.
I can only find 0w-16 in m1 afe. There used to be a supertech 0w-16 but it disappeared after a year or more and hasn't come back since.

I heard that yet the oil is very thin from 0w20 and downward the molecular strength and shear rating of the oil is quite robust. Especially with the 0w8 and 16. Wonder the truth in that statement?
I doubt it, what's so super about the oil molecules used in xW-20 or thinner? HTHS viscosity is the true measure of how an oil protects due to the viscosity factor.

Been a few studies that show when HTHS starts going below c~2.6 cP the wear on certain engine components start increasing. Look at what 16, 12 and 8 have for HTHS. They better have some crazy AW/AF additives. The fact that their HTHS is so reduced says their molecules are nothing special.

SAE J300 (2015 Version).JPG

i tried looking up a 0w-8 forum but i guess the search function aint the best. The Yaris hybrid has been out for half a year but the owners manual has been up on the Toyota UK site for a while. i downloaded it a couple months ago to see if it was true and it is. the funny thing is that Toyota still recommends 4 grades up over there. So what do y'all think. View attachment 58038
That's crazy! I'm into really thick oils, like 0w20, myself! 😁

It's a hybrid, so I think the engine is designed to deliver power at constant load and rpm to an alternator rather than a gearbox to the wheels. If so, I think the engine will quickly ramp up to a constant power point even under maximum vehicle acceleration because all power to the wheels is delivered by electric motor(s).
In that case it might not be an issue then. There's probably a good buffer in the battery for stoplight drag racing.

From what I can gather this is the new hybrid system from Toyota. The 3 cylinder engine drives a electric motor. I don’t think there is any load on that engine like some are thinking.
Correct. It is a series hybrid like the BMW i3 (if it has the optional REX motor), instead of a parallel hybrid like 99% of the hybrids on the road. So it is basically an EV with a generator on board. The only time the generator will probably run is on long trips.

I trust Toyota's R&D over any board's peanut gallery.
hold your horses.
the days when cars were able to withstand (without problems) hudreds thousand miles, are over.
first of all, new cars must respect stricter emission limits. longevity is on the last place.
what is good for exhaust, is bad for engine. start&stop system, or dpf is good example.

hold your horses.
the days when cars were able to withstand (without problems) hudreds thousand miles, are over.
first of all, new cars must respect stricter emission limits. longevity is on the last place.
what is good for exhaust, is bad for engine. start&stop system, or dpf is good example.

I’ve been around for some time and I don’t remember cars running hundreds of thousands of miles without problems. In fact, 100,000 miles was quite the achievement back in the day. Cars had to be tended to regularly. Most backyard repairs were jury rigs.

Today’s cars are super reliable. If the owner takes good car of their vehicle then you will get multiple hundreds of thousands of miles from it.

Back