2020 Subaru Legacy 2.5, 6,500 OCI, Kirkland 0w20, Fram Ultra

Is your 2.5 different that the 18 I have? Mine holds 5.1 quarts.

Edit: I see the newer 2.5s take less oil. Interesting.... I wonder what changed.

@iunderpressure would you permit me to share this information on another Subaru website?

Everything looks good but my only concern is that the KV100 is a little lower than I would like to see. I have seen UOA data on Citgo 0w20 and Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 which have both kept the KV100 around or above 8cSt after the standard recommended OCI.

EDIT: I would also be interested in seeing how well that Royal Purple filter works by comparison. Perhaps a future cut and post thread? 🙂

Reactions: FZ1

This was 2.5 quarts of Kirkland 0w20 SP and a 2 quarts of Kirkland 0w20 SN-Plus if I remember correctly and a an XG7317 Fram Ultra.

I replaced it with 4.5 quarts of Kirkland 0w20 SP oil and a Royal Purple 10-2867.

I send oil samples to Blackstone every oil change! 👍 Thank you for posting this. I was worried about running a Fram XG7317 in my 2022 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0 because of the 13 psi bypass valve but the numbers don't lie. The filter did a phenomenal job and obviously wasn't bypassing very often, if at all. My worries are over. My second oil change will use an XG7317.😎

Yea but @dezlpwr — driving style / conditions play a major role here. For example… I constantly redline my little 2.0L Mazda Skyactiv engine for my own personal pleasure while another driver can literally never exceed 3,000rpm in an entire OCI. 🤷🏻‍♂️

There are too many unknown variable at play to make a 100% solid conclusion of anything.

@iunderpressure— Are you trying to safely get to 10k OCIs with this vehicle? Because it definitely looks like it can, just as break-in material finishes washing out.​

I suggest you pull a sample @ 8,500 and wait for the analysis results before actually changing the oil. If the report comes back looking good, continue running the oil another 1,500miles to reach 10k and change it. 😏👍🏼

Is your 2.5 different that the 18 I have? Mine holds 5.1 quarts.

Edit: I see the newer 2.5s take less oil. Interesting.... I wonder what changed.
My 2018 2.5 takes 5.1 quarts too. Subaru made upgrades to the 2.5 in 2019, so I am guessing part of the tweaking involved requiring 0.6 less qrts of oil.

Back