2020 Hyundai Tucson 2nd Oil Change - should I change now or wait?

Benefit is unknown

Machinery needs maintenance. So, if the plans are to will the vehicle to great grandchildren, then some initial maintenance is smart.
And, as always, not everyone has the same commute, or vehicle reputation, or driving pattern, or weather conditions.

Its not paranoia to maintain machinery. Its foolish to think that what you do will work for everyone. And, if they don't do what you do, then they are antienvironment, wasteful, and paranoid.

If you keep a vehicle long enough, plan on maintaining it. If you lease, trade in too often, or destroy vehicles, is there a point to maintenance? Minimal is fine for a bubblegum ownership pattern.

S

If he said, "I changed the oil once at thee 2000 mile mark before the 5k oil change" that would be reasonable.

Three oil changes before the 5k interval is excessive anyway you look at it. 4 refreshed sumps in 5K miles is NEVER necessary

NO one is saying NOT to maintain you vehicle.

I retired last year and now I drive 6K a year vs. 15K,
I'm trying to figure out if I should do Spring and Fall seasonal oil changes or just Fall oil changes.

I'm thinking the Former - since I have a lot of short commutes and Idling where I had NONE of that before.

But I sure ain't changing every 1.5K miles - that is for sure.

If the OEM filters are so good.....why did hyundai and kia have so many engine failures due to metals being improperly filtered out?

Its an honest question.

I use Mann filters made in Korea.
Bought a pack of 10 from rock.
They are very well made and used on a lot of German cars as OEM.
Poor machining, quality control and assembly isn't fixed by any oil or oil filter.

Never necessary is your opinion

There is nothing to figure out. You either take care of it, or you don't. At this point in your life, will it make a difference?

BTW, I haven't seen poor machining, quality control, or assembly. Maybe ineffective R&D. How many brand new Kia/Hyundai engines have you disassembled for measurements?

And yes, maintenance make a big difference even with poor machining, lack of quality control... I won't include assembly. But, I just haven't seen the swarf, poor machining.... see plenty of sludge, plenty of low oil levels, plenty of skipped oil changes. Favorite comment is "I was just late a couple times". Lets blame the automaker for consumer foolishness.

The only repeatable issues I've seen directly specific to this engine family:
Low oil levels..... owners aren't smart enough to use a disptick is not Hyundai/Kias fault. Every automaker seems to suffer from oil consumption now.
Improper intervals.... owner's manual spells out severe service.... ignored by owners. All or nothing attitude is to blame. Just a little late or missed intervals is common! What are they thinking?
Swarf.... any engine with swarf fails early, and a good reason to remove the factory fill early... to remove anything the rockcatcher filter misses.
FUEL DILUTION.... see improper intervals.
Whistleblower? Most whistleblower I know are looking for some type of gain, like their Facebook addicts. Fired employees? employees with no promotion potential? I read what was made available to the public and will call it inconclusive.

I don't think that Hyundai/Kia fully understand the US consumers' driving patterns. These engines make oil. Maybe fuel/timing can be adjusted better. Maybe they tried too hard to get the on paper horsepower bragging levels to compare to the inferior competition. The fuel bandaid for detonation didn't work. The newer gen2 versions dumped the high HP numbers for better throttle response and area under the curve low rpm torque. I prefer the gen2 over the gen1 theta-2's.

I just haven't seen any failures not caused by the above swarf, assembly, machining, tolerance, clearance. Sorry. Spent enough time at the dealership. #1 engine failure that I've seen were sludged engines. How does that happen? Warranty denial across the board became the norm and led to class action. #2 was NO OIL. Again, deny deny deny. Who is at fault for no oil, sludge in engine, or "just a little late for the oil change when it was completely skipped"? HyundaiKia????

Indirectly... we can make up whatever we want on a forum. Heard it all with the Toyota 2.2/3.0 sludged up and failed. Same consumer foolishness. Toyota immediately dropped their 7500 conventional interval to 5000 and held that until 0w20 showed up.

GM OLM.... poorly programmed for GDI and timing chains dropped like flies.
Sludge.... Mopar got hit too. Same with VW, BMW, MB....... and early adopters to the "lowering the cost of ownership" to move the consumer upscale with options or elite brands.

As of now, your car manufacturer is responsible for YOU. So, you don't need to change the oil, you don't need to check the oil, and you obviously don't need to be paranoid. Just drive until a failure and ride the class action.

Hello all, my 1st post here @ 66 YO.

Wife's 2020 Tucson was purchased on Aug 12, 2020 took advantage of huge discount ($8,700 off MSRP).The first OC was done on Sept 21, 40 days after purchase @ 3,015 miles with WIX 51334XP for full synthetic, Kirkland 5W-30 Dexos1 Gen2, I know I should have done earlier. Prior to the first OC, it was driven mostly(95%) on highway, also seen excessive idling due to heavy smoke from wildfire in PNW region and summer heat which resulted really dark oil drained.

We're a
retired couple with 2 vehicles, not driving much, 3,000 miles for first 40 days, under 3,200 miles for the next 6 months. Now at 6,195 miles after 6 months, oil on dipstick looks too good for over 3,000 miles use. I just did OC yesterday on the other car, a 2015 MDX @ 104,590 miles with same Kirkland 0W-20. Only 3,355 miles on that oil but changed after 6 months, drained oil was as expected, pretty dark. It's heading to BL for UOA.

Please take a look at the photo below and advise if I should change the oil now anyway or wait for a while later. I was planning to change oil for every 3,500 - 4,000 miles or 6 months, but . . .

View attachment 51258
Sparky16 - If you are doing you're own oil changes, with your driving, I would change the oil in both cars every 6 months. Yes the oil and filter can go 12 months with no issue. But for you peace of mind, just change both cars at the same time every 6 months or so. Pick months when you don't have to worry about the elements as much.

Good luck.

Our Santa Fe Sport 2.0T has had a 3month/3k mile oci for all of it's 230k+ miles and 9-years (bought in 2012).

The new Tucson has a maintenance pkg which includes synthetic oil changes every 7500 miles. My plan is to give it one every 3750 as I will change it between dealer fills.

Last edited:
So GMT, you recommend this as "Normal" and "Good" Practice ?

"We bought a new 19 santa fe.
I did 3 oil changes before the 5k oil change."

That is what I was commenting on.
I've been there, done that to NO benefit whatsoever.

Even now I'm chomping at the bit to change the oil in my new Ford at 4 month and 1700 miles.

But I am "recovering" from this disease and unfounded paranoia and will try to hold off a bit more.

- Ken
I always thought that apes could type.....thank you for confirming my suspicions.
We are done.
I have a strick human to human dialogue.

If he said, "I changed the oil once at thee 2000 mile mark before the 5k oil change" that would be reasonable.

Three oil changes before the 5k interval is excessive anyway you look at it. 4 refreshed sumps in 5K miles is NEVER necessary

NO one is saying NOT to maintain you vehicle.

I retired last year and now I drive 6K a year vs. 15K,
I'm trying to figure out if I should do Spring and Fall seasonal oil changes or just Fall oil changes.

I'm thinking the Former - since I have a lot of short commutes and Idling where I had NONE of that before.

But I sure ain't changing every 1.5K miles - that is for sure.
You have no idea about our commutes or how long it took us to reach 5k.

Thanks for the senseless judgement all the same.
Now I'm done.
Such a joker........no clue what you are yammering on about.

You have no idea about our commutes or how long it took us to reach 5k.

Thanks for the senseless judgement all the same.
Now I'm done.
Such a joker........no clue what you are yammering on about.
Why, you gave the forum a good indication a couple pages ago.

When the vehicle was new, we had a newborn and did a lot if warming the suv before we used it.
By 1000 it was a quart above and stank of gasoline. So I changed it. Then the same thing again at 3000kms. Changed it. All we do us short trip driving because of where we live. Everything is very close.
And no, I am not going out on a highway drive just to try and burn off the fuel in the oil. Newborn=exhausted parents. It was easier and quicker just to dump and fill.

Joker? I do have a sense of humor, but I tend not to flaunt it on these pages.

I'll write off your irritability to being up all night with the child.
But remember manners when you are arguing in the Senate Chamber.
- Ken

Why, you gave the forum a good indication a couple pages ago.

When the vehicle was new, we had a newborn and did a lot if warming the suv before we used it.
By 1000 it was a quart above and stank of gasoline. So I changed it. Then the same thing again at 3000kms. Changed it. All we do us short trip driving because of where we live. Everything is very close.
And no, I am not going out on a highway drive just to try and burn off the fuel in the oil. Newborn=exhausted parents. It was easier and quicker just to dump and fill.

Joker? I do have a sense of humor, but I tend not to flaunt it on these pages.

I'll write off your irritability to being up all night with the child.
But remember manners when you are arguing in the Senate Chamber.
- Ken
So how long did it take to drive the above mentioned kilometers?

Tell us....we are dying to know your powers of deduction?

Our Santa Fe Sport 2.0T has had a 3month/3k mile oci for all of it's 230k+ miles and 9-years (bought in 2012).

The new Tucson has a maintenance pkg which includes synthetic oil changes every 7500 miles. My plan is to give it one every 3750 as I will change it between dealer fills.
I do the exact same thing. I just leave in the filter though, they change that.

Zero.......
Arcographite said: Why did you buy a CUV with D.I. and one that is known to have engine build and material issues that forced you to change oil 3 times before 5K miles? My Sister in law lost the engine on her newish Kia Sportage. Took 2 months to get her a new long block. Luckily they gave her a new Sorento to drive in the mean time. I listen to what you discussed. The cold starts, the long warmups, the short commutes, the used oil recycling. In another thread I suggested a block heater that may help greatly. The car will be warm when you hop in and no need for extensive idling.

Last edited:
Honestly - - we found out about the issues with the 2.0t about 1 month after buying the SF. New parents----not a lot of time to read articles.
We do a ton of road trips every year - pre covid - the last thing I want is an engine issue half way through a 3,000kms road trip.
It was cheap insurance for me.....I know there is a warranty but that means jack if the engine dies half way to Florida with a car load of stuff and my family.
If it was another engine I might have done things differently.

Last edited:

That's how I planned to do originally, change it at 3,500 and take the Tucson to the dealer for FREE oil change at 7,500. . . but the 6 months came way before 7,500 miles. It's still under 6,800 miles.

I do the exact same thing. I just leave in the filter though, they change that.
I needed the dirty filter replaced ASAP. Besides I'm already down there right next to the filter, can't let that happen. Oil and filters are dirt cheap, why not change as often as you want?

That's how I planned to do originally, change it at 3,500 and take the Tucson to the dealer for FREE oil change at 7,500. . . but the 6 months came way before 7,500 miles. It's still under 6,800 miles.

I needed the dirty filter replaced ASAP. Besides I'm already down there right next to the filter, can't let that happen. Oil and filters are dirt cheap, why not change as often as you want?
Why ASAP? That filter is getting more efficient as it fills. One reason that many manufacturers recommend filter every 2nd oil change. For me, since I vacuum out my oil, and don’t crawl under for the “mid-change”, there is no need to pull the filter. The 7500 mior interval is more than suitable for the service life of the filter.

I thought the Magnus-Moss act prevented any body from rejecting a warranty claim on the basis of aftermarket parts.

There is nothing in the warranty that states OEM oil filters must be used?

I called Hyundai Canada about this year's ago, they said, in Canada, a warranty claim on an engine has never been rejected for an after market filter. As long as the proper filter was used.
You are quoting an American act as a Canadian... Its meaningless in Canada.

I left this out in my previous post above...dependent on UOA info

It wasn't that they weren't good filters. It's that they blamed the fires on people using aftermarket oil filters, which was in the court filings. There's the PDF online. H/K knew about the metal shavings, they just followed the normal business course of action. Don't give them any more reasons to deny warranty work. And their OEM oil filters are good for only about $6.50.
i must be the odd one out here, my 2020 kona included oil and filter and tire rotation as part of the deal 20,000 miles in 7 months !!

Back