2020 Hyundai Tucson 2nd Oil Change - should I change now or wait?

It wasn't that they weren't good filters. It's that they blamed the fires on people using aftermarket oil filters, which was in the court filings. There's the PDF online. H/K knew about the metal shavings, they just followed the normal business course of action. Don't give them any more reasons to deny warranty work. And their OEM oil filters are good for only about $6.50.

Exactly. I'm planning to keep this Tucson for a long time. Frequent OCI is the cheapest and best insurance. I hope my Tucson don't have metal shavings left during the manufacturing process. I know I still have to deal with GDI problem, I've already installed OCC, also going to use CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner every 10,000 miles. I'm not saying they work, but they're not going to hurt. But I hope they work.

The WIX 51334 and the NAPA Gold 1334 are identical to the HYUNDAI/KIA OEM oil filters. They are made in Korea, or were.

i change my kids 2019 tucson every 5k miles with a oem filter. i get mine from the dealer for $7. this guarentees i get a real filter and paperwork to back it up. So far after almost 30k on the tucson, no issues so far. did a couple of recalls but nothing else.

they have a under shield with access holes for oil change. jsut drive up on ramps and its pretty quick.

i change my kids 2019 tucson every 5k miles with a oem filter. i get mine from the dealer for $7. this guarentees i get a real filter and paperwork to back it up. So far after almost 30k on the tucson, no issues so far. did a couple of recalls but nothing else.

they have a under shield with access holes for oil change. jsut drive up on ramps and its pretty quick.

Yes, OC on this and other Hyundai vehicles is super simple. Wonder why other automakers don't follow this?

I've been using nothing but Mann fleece filters from RA for my old ML320 well past 250,000 miles, it was the best and also Mercedes OEM. But this is Hyundai we're dealing with and my Tucson has only 6,200 miles on it. I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize its new car warranty.
I thought the Magnus-Moss act prevented any body from rejecting a warranty claim on the basis of aftermarket parts.

There is nothing in the warranty that states OEM oil filters must be used?

I called Hyundai Canada about this year's ago, they said, in Canada, a warranty claim on an engine has never been rejected for an after market filter. As long as the proper filter was used.

I thought the Magnus-Moss act prevented any body from rejecting a warranty claim on the basis of aftermarket parts.

I called Hyundai Canada about this year's ago, they said, in Canada, a warranty claim on an engine has never been rejected for an after market filter. As long as the proper filter was used.

I believe you, but I don't want going through the hassle of dealing with Hyundai dealership. Besides, the OEM filters are good enough for 4,000 to 5,000 miles between OCI, and they're cheap at $5 or $6 a piece. Even a fake filters should be good enough for short OCI, IMO.

Point well taken. I usually keep my cars very long time, up to 20 years, doing all of maintenance plus some repairs. I used WIX filter because I had a couple left over. Hyundai is doing free maintenance but I wouldn't trust them.

I'll buy bunch of OEM filters . . . from Amazon? How do you rate the Hyundai OEM filters from Amazon? I don't mind pay a few bucks more to buy from dealers, but why?
I have always used the Hyundai OEM filters on my Hyundai even cut a few open and they always look really well made. Silicone ADBV and the pleat spacing is always nice and even. No idea why some people don't like them but they appear well made to me.

I have always used the Hyundai OEM filters on my Hyundai even cut a few open and they always look really well made. Silicone ADBV and the pleat spacing is always nice and even. No idea why some people don't like them but they appear well made to me.
I find them over priced compared to aftermarket options in my area.
You can get a filter with synthetic media for much less.

No idea? Hyundai's own video bragged about 50 micron filtration, and independently verified with particle counts a few years ago. Thats a rock catcher when pretty much any aftermarket filter is competent to 20-30 micron.

If the OEM filters are so good.....why did hyundai and kia have so many engine failures due to metals being improperly filtered out?

Its an honest question.

I use Mann filters made in Korea.
Bought a pack of 10 from rock.
They are very well made and used on a lot of German cars as OEM.
Two reasons. First, the supposed metals were past the filter, later in the galleys. Second, it was isolated cases and involved a design flaw moreso than a machinist defect.
the filters are good, made by a very reputable company, and I have no issues using them at all.

Point well taken. I usually keep my cars very long time, up to 20 years, doing all of maintenance plus some repairs. I used WIX filter because I had a couple left over. Hyundai is doing free maintenance but I wouldn't trust them.

I'll buy bunch of OEM filters . . . from Amazon? How do you rate the Hyundai OEM filters from Amazon? I don't mind pay a few bucks more to buy from dealers, but why?
Hyundai filters, 5w-30 which is what the dealers install now. I do 5k changes on normal basis.

like my girlfriends KIA you have a great warranty, longer if bought new so if you DIY it follow the book. hers is 6 mo-5 thou whichever is first. i use quaker state 10-30 ultimate durability in hers + OE Kia filter by mann-hummel as directed, your choice!

If the OEM filters are so good.....why did hyundai and kia have so many engine failures due to metals being improperly filtered out?

Its an honest question.

I use Mann filters made in Korea.
Bought a pack of 10 from rock.
They are very well made and used on a lot of German cars as OEM.
I didn't think the problem was the filters weren't catching stuff, but more so that from the factory debris was being left behind inside bearing surfaces which could lead to accelerated wear and oil starvation issues.

In the US, yes, MM provides this protection, or at least the onus is on the dealership/manufacturer to prove the failure in the OEM part was a direct result of another aftermarket part. The only problem with MM is people still feel like they'll be fighting a corporate juggernaut and so even though something maybe within their rights they still refuse to "press their luck". I've heard dealerships tell people if all service isn't done there then they are voiding their warranty and people are then too scared to not use the dealerships. I believe MM even provides that the manufacturer has to pay the legal fees of the consumer IF a breach of contract is established. The breach of contract is based on state law and so varies but once established they pay the legal fees. I know of a few cases first hand where MM was brought up. In one letter written by a lawyer the dealership immediately backed down - a $200 letter got someone $4000 in warranty work.

No idea? Hyundai's own video bragged about 50 micron filtration, and independently verified with particle counts a few years ago. Thats a rock catcher when pretty much any aftermarket filter is competent to 20-30 micron.
Thats what I thought. 50micron, bragging. Might as well be letting asteroids through.
Not an awesome filter if you ask me.

I don't understand all the love for these filters.

What a POS. Glad I never used them.
Do what you want to do.

I got 6 OEM filters for around 23-24 dollars from a seller on Amazon. They're not fake. Seller was Metro24wholesale. I posted in another thread about it. He also included the oem washers. Pretty good deal if you ask me. Currently using a ST9688. This works fine as well with 99% at 30 microns. I checked the oil today with about 2k/3mo on the oil and it was very dark but I do short trip. I will probably just go with a 6 month interval since I don't drive much.

The only issue I noticed is I'm getting a drop of oil on the bolt. I noticed this on my 1st and 2nd transmission fluid drain and fill. The second time I torqued the bolt to 30ft lb and it did move a bit. I had no noticeable drop on the dipstick. I used washers from my mazda that I sold. They are the same size but not as thick so this might be why.

Bought a new drain plug I'm going to try with a oem washers. I bought my optima used and that thing was torqued down so much I needed to use a breaker bar and even then it took alot of effort. I hope the threads are ok but it wasn't stripped.

Back