2020 Ford Edge Rental

I recently rented a 2020 Edge Titanium for a 500 mile road trip. I was pleasantly surprised by it and thought I'd share my findings:

PROS:

- Very easy to drive. I felt acclimated within a few minutes of being behind-the-wheel.
- Pre-Collision Assist with Auto Braking saved our butt when some clown decided to suddenly pull off onto the left shoulder because his load wasn't correctly secured.
- Soft & comfortable seats
- Soft touch cabin materials
- Smooth 8AT transmission.
- Quiet cabin.
- Grippy and smooth OEM Hankook tires. Got caught in a bad rain storm but the tires didn't hydroplane. Car tracked dead straight with no vibrations.
- Smooth suspension with car-like handling. Ride is tight and composed with no funny business.
- Excellent automatic wipers.
- Amazing LED headlights, although with the lows on, we got flashed twice by oncoming traffic. I read later that the IIHS dinged these lights for excessive glare.
- Cruise control did a great job maintaining speed. No slowdown then harsh revving when going up a hill.
- Excellent cargo room.
- Nice sound system.
- Kick-activated tailgate, remote start and adjustable ambient lighting are nifty features.

CONS:

- Terrible auto start/stop. Had to turn this off each time I got in the car.
- Hood flutter at highway speeds.
- Pronounced turbo lag from the 4-cyl EcoBoost. Once it catches, though, there's ample power.
- Hated the rotary dial gear shifter.
- MyFord Touch was slow to load climate control settings at startup.
- A couple of interior panels were misaligned.

This was my first time driving a modern Ford product and I was overall impressed. If an Edge rides this well, its Lincoln counterpart must ride even better.

[Linked Image]

From What Ive read Lincoln now only shares 5% of the parts between similar vehicles, so the Lincoln should be even better.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I'm guessing the hood flutter can be corrected by adjusting the hood bumper stops.

The Explorers have this hood flutter or shake on highway too. I had to stop and check that it was latched. They are making them too thin.

Originally Posted by Ram02
Ford is back they doing big things putting great vehicles out

Yeah the hood flutter is impressive quality.

Ford gets kicked in the teeth around here a lot for some reason.

But Ford mass produces Millions of vehicles every year

So a few bad apples happen a long the way

That's just the way it is

But over all

Ford makes some the best vehicles on the road

Been driving Fords for 40 plus years
And I'll keep driving em !!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150

Ford gets kicked in the teeth around here a lot for some reason.

But Ford mass produces Millions of vehicles every year

So a few bad apples happen a long the way

That's just the way it is

But over all

Ford makes some the best vehicles on the road

Been driving Fords for 40 plus years
And I'll keep driving em !!!

**Cough Cough**

"Ford knew Focus, Fiesta models had flawed transmission, sold them anyway..."
https://www.freep.com/in-depth/mone...s-fiesta-transmission-defect/1671198001/

Ford pushed 2020 Explorers out the factory with leaking transmissions, missing parking brake switches, and inoperative dash boards. There's no way a quality control person would accidentally miss these things. Ford then did the same thing with the 2021 F-150 and the new Mustang Mach-E. They called the post-production repairs "quality checks", except these were done at a parking lot at DTW airport, Flat Rock, etc... with guys working on wiring harnesses out of a van. LOL.

The Ford Edge sales are abysmal. Along with Escape sales, and the Ranger sells less than half of the volume that Tacoma does. Ford is basically a two line company Large Trucks and Broncos. And if you head over to blueovalnews .com and see the "last quarterly sales" (Jan, Feb, and March-read the ENTIRE THREAD) you can see sales constricting -OVER ALL. Basically-you cant do away with sedan sales and automatically think those customers will choose one of your CUVs when other companies STILL MAKE sedans.

Conversely Hyundai/KIA are growing like crazy.

Imo a Lincoln is one of the best riding cars.
I really like BMW and MB. Firm, yet isolated. The Germans have mastered it. Mazda seems to be emulating them (My CX5 is very BMW inside and out and regarding "feel", which is part of why I bought it), but there is still a TOUCH of lack, there, compared to higher end German M and AMG series cars.

I really like BMW and MB. Firm, yet isolated. The Germans have mastered it. Mazda seems to be emulating them (My CX5 is very BMW inside and out and regarding "feel", which is part of why I bought it), but there is still a TOUCH of lack, there, compared to higher end German M and AMG series cars.
Something I've noticed about the German high end cars like MB and BMW is how sturdy they are build. The hardware (door handles, etc) feel built like a tank. (y)

Reactions: Ws6
Something I've noticed about the German high end cars like MB and BMW is how sturdy they are build. The hardware (door handles, etc) feel built like a tank. (y)
I agree, although honestly, Mazda is now there regarding "rolling block of billet" feel. In fact, my CX5 is more "solid" than my neighbors AMG43 GLC regarding flex/rattles/etc. on un-even surfaces. Really impressed. 10 years ago, this was a German only thing. Mazda still has some work to do on interior solidity as you note, but the sound system is where they really need t o start. They use Bose for crying out loud :(

I love the German EcoBoost V8 engines (water-intercooled GTDI V8s) but the Mercedes ML 550 seats were hard as rocks. The seats in my 2018 Explorer and in my 2014 SHO were like living room sofas. I could fall fast asleep in them if needed.

The Ford Edge sales are abysmal. Along with Escape sales, and the Ranger sells less than half of the volume that Tacoma does. Ford is basically a two line company Large Trucks and Broncos. And if you head over to blueovalnews .com and see the "last quarterly sales" (Jan, Feb, and March-read the ENTIRE THREAD) you can see sales constricting -OVER ALL. Basically-you cant do away with sedan sales and automatically think those customers will choose one of your CUVs when other companies STILL MAKE sedans.

Conversely Hyundai/KIA are growing like crazy.
You think ford will bring back Sedans’s

I just bought my wife a 17 Edge and the thing is so darn nice and quiet I can't hardly believe it's a Ford. I'm a fan of German as well but I I can't imagine a X3 or Q5 being much better than this, and for buckets more money. The V6 has way better driving characteristics than the Ecoboost too.

I think they blew it on dumping sedans, but a bunch of brands did not just Ford.

I had a Lincoln and would absolutely buy another, there is no better value in luxury than a lightly used Lincoln as long as you don't have to have a true status name plate.

Back