2020 Jeep Cherokee rental

Rented a 2020 Cherokee Limited recently. It was my first time ever driving a Jeep vehicle.

PROS:

- Nice interior. Materials felt soft and well put together.
- Amazing LED headlights.
- Decent storage space.
- UConnect system was responsive.
- Smooth suspension.
- Firm brake pedal with little travel.

CONS:

- The 2.4L 4-cyl is an embarrassment. It is super slow and sounds like a clogged vacuum cleaner.
- The 9-speed auto is clunky and hangs in random gears.
- Cruise control would drop 5 mph when going up even slight grades.
- Automatic start/stop was terrible. I turned it off each time I got in the car.
- Too much body roll.
- A/C was cold but the automatic climate control loved to blow on the feet and less on the face.
- Wind noise/whistling through the door seals.
- Above 70 mph, there was a rumbling/roaring from the tires. Sounded almost like a bad wheel bearing.
- Dead & numb steering feel.

Overall, this car is just okay. It doesn't really do anything excellently. In such a competitive segment, I feel like there are better choices available.

I drive my wife's 2016 jeep Cherokee limited often and can say it has none of the above issues. At 80000 miles it has been flawless. I does have the 6 cyl engine though.

Sorry your rental had issues, we have a '20 Cherokee with the 2.4 and love it (coming from a Honda). Ours accelerates similar to a Honda with a 2.4; not exactly fast, but fine for normal driving. The zf9 trans is very smooth. If you want to get really sporty, you'll be happier going into Autostick mode and shifting yourself. Ours is very quiet and smooth at highway speed. Computer says we made 35 mpg with pure interstate driving @70mph. Hope your next Jeep experience is more like ours!

My wife has a 2018 Cherokee and the only issue was the "service shifter" message and that was fixed under warranty. The 2.4 is fine around here where it's flat and gets up to speed ok on I-95, where traffic can sometimes be frightening. None of OPs complaints, though. The 9 speed IMO shifts really well. It could use more legroom for the driver, though, but it's my wife's car.

My son just bought a 2018 Trailhawk version two days ago. The V6 upgrade along with all the trim and appearance features definitely boost it well beyond the generic versions I see wandering around. Of course by the time you get a Trailhawk you are crowding Grand territory....

The 8 speed in my Tiguan is a disaster, it's an Aisin and apparently it's no better in Toyota products. It lurches, slams into gear, shift harshly and gets confused at times causing very slow/no acceleration until it figures out what it wants to do - of course that always happens when you pull out in front of someone.

I can't remember the last time I drove a jeep.
I will say this the 6 speed auto in both my Hyundai GT's are flawless.
Never hang in gear.
Just a light push on the gas and they down shift in a flash.

The 8 speed in my Tiguan is a disaster, it's an Aisin and apparently it's no better in Toyota products. It lurches, slams into gear, shift harshly and gets confused at times causing very slow/no acceleration until it figures out what it wants to do - of course that always happens when you pull out in front of someone.

We are loving the 8 speed in our Jetta. It only has a 400 miles on it but shifts are smooth and lightning fast. Borderline DSG territory.

Yes, seems the best one on the market is the ZF 8HP.

To be fair to any manufacturer, can ANYONE get a 9-speed correct?
I have HEARD that the RDX's isn't great, but also not horrible. Really, I've been super stoked with Mazda's SA 6-speed. It's programmed flawlessly for both every day as well as spirited driving. Engine brakes down from 3K plus when I nail the brakes before a corner, etc. Holds rpms through the corner so I can accelerate out without the common upshift/downshift hustle so many do. Punch it and let off, punch it again, and it's still in the gear it DS'ed to. The only other sporty auto I drove was a 7A in a 370Z, and it was horrible compared to my CX5's gearbox.

Re; ZF8. I drove an acquaintances Maserati Ghibli. The ZF8 was similar in behavior to the box in my CX5. Maybe not as intuitive in how it was programmed, but it had excellent shift feel and the looser torque converter lended very well to spirited starts.

Back