2020 F350 6.7l diesel- oil change at dealer gone wrong

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Came across this on Facebook and thought to post it on BITOG. A 2020 F350 oil change at a Ford dealership. If accurate, a very tough situation for all involved- most especially the truck's owner:

Initial post:
So I dropped my 2020 F350 DRW Lariat to the dealer for an oil change. Got a voicemail saying they finished the oil change and they were dropping it back off at my house… 3 hours later I get a call from the service manager saying before it left they heard a ticking noise coming from it, turned it off and tried to restart it and the engine is locked up. They are saying they believe its a warranty issue and they ordered a replacement short block that won’t be here till next month at the earliest and they can’t tear it apart to verify the issue… coincidentally the same time they called to tell me service was done and the truck was getting dropped off my ford pass registerted a service engine for low oil pressure and service dpf.. truck has 40k miles on it, always been serviced on time at the dealership. Obviously I think they forgot the oil, but they swear thats not the case and they want to pursue the warranty claim. Dealership has put me in a rental truck and appear to be accommodating but long term what concerns should I have… my experience has always been after a major repair like this theres always other things that start breaking.. this was purchased with the intent of being the last truck I would buy.

Update: I am not necessarily complaining, definitey could be worse I am sure. My concerns are what they are basing the repairs on since they are still not aknowledging they neglected to put the oil in. So far they are replacing the short block. When I asked about the turbo he told me its a robust part and takes alot to damage…. Thinking I need to push and have the entire engine replaced.

Update 2;
After a week of getting the run around I demanded to watch the videos of my oil change.. they did not put oil in. Drove the truck into the lot were it died. Then 4 techs loaded up a cart with oil pushed it out to my truck in the parking lot added the oil and tried to get it started. Then they tied a tows strap to the front bumper and dragged it a across the street to the diesel mechanic shop… I’m going to hold off on saying which dealership until I see if upper management was aware and how they plan on making this right. Definitely can’t trust them at this point to rebuild the engine.

Last edited:
I can't imagine a dealer showing a customer surveillance video like that. Also strange it would seize up that quickly.

I can't imagine a dealer showing a customer surveillance video like that. Also strange it would seize up that quickly.
Not unusual at all for some dealers. When I took my Audi to the dealer for oil and other service they always emailed me a three camera view of the car being serviced. I didn’t have to request it.

More questions then answers in the story, but it does paint the dealer/service in a bad light. The quickness for them to go a warranty claim says a bit, and some CYA'ing happening.

More questions then answers in the story, but it does paint the dealer/service in a bad light. The quickness for them to go a warranty claim says a bit, and some CYA'ing happening.

They're doing that because if they manage to get away with it under warranty it'll be Ford that foots the bill and not them as a franchise! If it was the dealerships mistake, they should be paying for the whole lot. (That's if American dealerships work the same way as UK based ones).

you would think the tech would wait until they saw oil pressure on the dash. no oil pressure=no oil on a 40k mile truck. i was taught when i started as a mechanic to take the oil fill cap and place it blocking the hood latch. that way the hood cannot be closed until the cap is installed back on the motor. which is hopefully after putting oil in it. in my time i’ve never not put oil back in something.

I always thought that'd I'd avoid problems with oil changes by having my long-time mechanic do them... until he stripped out the plug on the oil pan...

The last set of new tires I had put on the '04 at Blain's Farm and Fleet, I complained that they didn't put on new valve stems. Instead of looking at the old stems that were clearly still on the wheels... they checked the video instead. Nope.... they hadn't installed new stems.

Yeah these turn into a dogpile but the dealer in question needs some bashing it sounds like.
Agree. But the fact of the matter is that there are thousands of oil changes done at dealers everyday without incidence. As long as humans perform functions-mistakes happen. A this point the dealer looks like they are trying to make it right. As far as who pays-Ford or the dealer-it's irreverent if the owner gets his truck back repaired properly.

I was going to say something about this likely being on a young oil change tech who just didn't give a crap, but that would have been rude, so.

Happens, that's what you get when you pay peanuts while pushing work through as quick as possible to maximise profit.

Ford won't be paying for the engine but the dealer will, the warranty story was to try cover their arse.

Last edited:
Oh Ive got one better. My buddy is a mechanic at a large independent shop. They got in an F150 in last year that ran but had low oil pressure.

Guy that owned the truck took it to the local Ford dealer for and oil change and tire rotation. He watched them pull it out and take it for a test drive after they were done. When the tech got back he noticed he pulled the truck back into the bay. Little bit later they come tell him it has low oil pressure and needs and engine. They didn't admit to it but they forgot to fill it back up with oil after they changed it. I forget exactly what year the truck was but it was only a few years old. Neither the dealer or Ford would do anything to help him. Truck was still under warranty but they denied it. They wanted to charge him some crazy money to put an engine in it so thats how it ended up at my buddies shop.

I stopped by the shop the one day to get some tires mounted and my buddy showed me the engine after they tore it down. Guy was meticulous about maintenance. The inside of the engine was spotless other than the damage of being ran with no oil.

They're doing that because if they manage to get away with it under warranty it'll be Ford that foots the bill and not them as a franchise!

And if Ford catches this dealership ripping them off they will have to pay Ford back with lots of interest and some fines and stuff.

Might make the staff sit thru some Henry Ford speeches about that race of people he despised so much. That'll learn 'em!
2thumbs-up.gif

Back