2019 Yukon Denali 6.2L L86 Oil/Filter Recommendation

Good question. How would one design an engine to suit an engine oil viscosity?
If said engine was installed in a jet boat and run at full throttle all day, as boat engines do, would 0w20 still be the grade to use?
How about that 6.2L installed in a farm tractor? 15W50 on farm tractor and boat days, 0w20 on weekdays?

I'll go with 0W20 with that engine in that vehicle with an 8 or 10 speed automatic, but don't tell me the engine was designed for 0W20.

Last edited:
Engine bearing clearances are designed around an anticipated grade when used at expected rpm's an usage. Not saying using the engine out of it's expected rpm range and usage might require an adjustment to the designed oil grade. The engine can used any grade higher than designed for but for every day use the designed grade is optimum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by userfriendly
If said engine was installed in a jet boat and run at full throttle all day, as boat engines do, would 0w20 still be the grade to use?
How about that 6.2L installed in a farm tractor? 15W50 on farm tractor and boat days, 0w20 on weekdays?

I'll go with 0W20 with that engine in that vehicle with an 8 or 10 speed automatic, but don't tell me the engine was designed for 0W20.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4904365/2

quote=A_Harman]It's really not necessary to run anything thicker than 0w20 in the L83. We ran those things at GM at WOT, 5000+rpm for hours and hours just doing performance testing. The test engines were all filled with M1 0w20. Nothing special, just routine.[/quote]

Originally Posted by userfriendly

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4904365/2

[/quote=A_Harman]It's really not necessary to run anything thicker than 0w20 in the L83. We ran those things at GM at WOT, 5000+rpm for hours and hours just doing performance testing. The test engines were all filled with M1 0w20. Nothing special, just routine.[/quote]

Why not 0W20 or 0W30 in the new 6.6L gasoline engine in the HD 2500 & 3500s?
I observed zero oil pressure at start up last winter after a 2016 2500 6.0L sat overnight at the hotel at minus 42 degrees with 5w30 dexos.
0Wxx would be a better choice than 5Wxx for all engines operating in Arctic climates

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
You and I know with 0W30 consumers will complain it's like water compared to 5W30.

Never consume 0w30. Only the 5w30s won't stain your pearly whites and render a mess inside your toilet bowl.

If one can afford a new Yukon Denali, then I recommend Ravenol and Fram Ultra, in the viscosity prescribed in the Owners Manual.
I hereby pound the gavel and call this 'Case Closed"

And when they track those V8s in a Camaro/Corvette, a thicker Dexos2 (Not Dexos 1 Gen 2, but Dexos2) oil was specified at one point (xW-40) if I recall correctly.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by dave1251
You and I know with 0W30 consumers will complain it's like water compared to 5W30.

Never consume 0w30. Only the 5w30s won't stain your pearly whites and render a mess inside your toilet bowl.

If one can afford a new Yukon Denali, then I recommend Ravenol and Fram Ultra, in the viscosity prescribed in the Owners Manual.
I hereby pound the gavel and call this 'Case Closed"

There is no correlation between model of vehicle and brand of motor oil. There are thousands of SBC's which had nothing but the spec'd oils with maintenance at close to the GM's recommendations and upon tear down were clean.

Yes. Plus being a government vehicle it likely had either lowest cost bulk oil or bulk oil from a local business. In other words just use DEXOS certified 0W20 and sleep easy.

For frictional minimization, yes the thinnest oil that prevents excessive friction across the expected temp range is the correct recommendation.

The antillary is not true, though. It is not accurate to say that any thicker viscosity is ok because it provides a thicker lube film, because thicker viscosity will also slow oil flow rate for the fixed oil supply plumbing, and we don't know at what higher viscosity this will starve critical parts and not remove enough heat. That's why I stick with engine builder's latest viscosity recommendations. Becomes even more important when engine oil is also used as a hydraulic oil, where flow rate is critical to solenoid valve operation and timing (VVT cam phasers, MDS valve lifters, etc.).

Have a 2013 6.2L engine, with 40K on it. GMC Yukon XL.
I have Mobil 1 05w20 oil, can I get 05w20 and mix 50/50, enough for 1 oil change and some spare oil?

I suppose I can try exchanging at Walmart for 0w20.

BTW, I am tuning out the AFM stuff.
The other question I have, who makes a great extended filter for 6.2L?

Back